Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Removing Rear Axel Assy.

I have been successful in using the spring spreader and removing the spring shackles. The frame is held up with jack stands. Now I am trying to roll the rear end assembly out from under the car. All the bolts have been removed from the universal joint and I have started to slide the spline out of the universal joint. The problem I am having now is that the end of the rear spring is interfering with the rear brake levers. Is it necessary to remove these levers to get the rear end assembly off the car? At this point it will be very difficult to raise the frame up higher. It is sitting on the jack stands and I don't want to mess with it.
Thanks for your help, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
Conaway2

Default Re: Removing Rear Axel Assy.

I removed rear backing plates on each side when I pulled the rear axle recently.

It’s a good opportunity to clean and rebuild rear brake assemblies.

Good luck - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 01:21 PM   #3
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I have been successful in using the spring spreader and removing the spring shackles. The frame is held up with jack stands. Now I am trying to roll the rear end assembly out from under the car. All the bolts have been removed from the universal joint and I have started to slide the spline out of the universal joint. The problem I am having now is that the end of the rear spring is interfering with the rear brake levers. Is it necessary to remove these levers to get the rear end assembly off the car? At this point it will be very difficult to raise the frame up higher. It is sitting on the jack stands and I don't want to mess with it.
Thanks for your help, Ed
Collapse the spring spreader somewhat to provide clearance. Crank it back out when you go to reinstall the rear end.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:15 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

And don't forget to remove the speedometer cable from the drive housing at the front of the torque tube! I didn't see that mentioned in your initial post, although you probably noticed the cable housing when you undid the U-joint clamshell bolts.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote