Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
Robert/Texas

Default Front spring needed

The main leaf on the front spring broke on my ’34 roadster. My son-n-law told me that he would help me replace it. Where is a good place to get one?

Thanks in advance, Robert.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
ssffnomad

Default Re: Front spring needed

Posie’s for a new spring pack.
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:16 PM   #3
cas3

I have an NOS main leaf if interested
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:37 PM   #4
Newc

Eaton!!! If you want to be judged someday. Posies has a delivery problem read wanted post about them. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #5
russcc

the NOS main leaf would be the best option, w/Eaton next.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:14 AM   #6
Flathead Fever

Loose U-bolts are the number one cause of broken leaf springs and cross members. If the one leaf broke, I would replace the entire spring pack. At this point they they must all be ready to break. You don't want to do the job twice. I take them apart and stretch the main leaf by hand to hook it to the shackles. Then I use a piece of all-thread to pull all the leaf's together, clamp them with a big "C" clamp, then remove the all-thread and stick the center bolt back in unless you have a spring spreader. You might as well replace the shackles too. The purists like the original press in ones with castle nuts and the Ford script stamped shackles. Torque the U-bolts with a torque wrench. Eaton has Torq specs on their site for the different diameter U-bolts. Really important to get them tight but not so "gorilla" tight you stretch the threads and strip them. Don't forget the insulator pad between the spring and cross member.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
Robert/Texas

Many thanks to all of you.

I just sent a check to Southside Obsolete in Minnesota for a NOS spring assembly. The owner is also sending me the bushings needed to install them. I'm anxious to get it on the road again.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:24 PM   #8
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
I just sent a check to Southside Obsolete in Minnesota for a NOS spring assembly. The owner is also sending me the bushings needed to install them. I'm anxious to get it on the road again.
My fingers had been crossed for an outcome like this.

Good luck with the actual replacement task. Bonus that you aren't removing the old spring bushings!

You weren't seeking input on this, but I've used the spray product from Balcamp called Slip Plate between leaves to help lubricate and reduce noise and wear (NAPA has it, use your favorite web search). I think I might prefer a brush-on version if it were economical. I used a can for one spring pack. After the first coat I learned to spray it a whole lot closer and wetter than paint.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 03-28-2022 at 05:36 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #9
Robert/Texas

I decided to try to get the broken spring off before the new one arrives. The spring is broken close to the eye on the driver side of the car. I’ve been following the instructions in the Les Andrews Model A red book. I managed to get both spring shackle bars off, but I can’t get the bushings out. The bushings don’t look like the ones in the C&G catalog and are likely foreign made. The front side of the bushings are flat without studs and nuts. The backs have studs with 10mm nuts. The upper bushings have thick washers on these studs. I have been pounding the bushing stems with a brass hammer with no success.

All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Robert.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Eaton!!! If you want to be judged someday. Posies has a delivery problem read wanted post about them. Newc

Where can this post regarding Posies be found? Thank you.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #11
hotrodart

I have had good results from Eaton products, and good service. I would not buy anything from Posies again.....he stiffed me on a reverse eye spring and dropped axle for my '40 coupe.......I paid extra for a coated axle and spring.....the axle came with flaking coating, the spring came uncoated.....he told me to take it up with his supplier! I wouldn't trust him to tie my shoes correctly.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Where can this post regarding Posies be found? Thank you.

"Shoebox"...Click this link BELOW! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...42&postcount=1

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:23 PM   #13
Tinker

I've used a rear posies reverse on my truck and have a detroit eaton for the front. Both are decent springs. The eaton is certainly closer to judging standard. But I guess it's still not original. Judging by horseshoes, close. The more I look at judging standards the more I think a restored car is further from the idea of original.

I think with your objective. Think you have made the right decision. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. Good company.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-02-2022 at 12:46 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #14
Robert/Texas

My son-in-law, oldest great grandson and I finally got the new spring on last Sunday. This took a while due to some logistical problems. The NOS bushing box that I received contained only the small diameter bushings that go into the spring perches. I bought another set from Bob Drake, and these were the same, no bushings for the spring eyes. My son-in-law cut the old bushings from the broken spring with my air disc cutter, and we reused them.

As I had replaced the reverse eyed spring that was on the car in 1994, I still had the spring spreader that I used back then. We used this of course but I have a suggestion that might be useful to others. Measure the center-line distance between the spring perches before installing the spring and set the spreader to this measurement. This is a lot easier than adjusting it while crawling under the car.

We took a ride in the car after we finished and it performed well.

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions, Robert.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:15 PM   #15
Kube

Quote:
My son-in-law, oldest great grandson and I finally got the new spring on last Sunday. This took a while due to some logistical problems. The NOS bushing box that I received contained only the small diameter bushings that go into the spring perches. I bought another set from Bob Drake, and these were the same, no bushings for the spring eyes. My son-in-law cut the old bushings from the broken spring with my air disc cutter, and we reused them.

As I had replaced the reverse eyed spring that was on the car in 1994, I still had the spring spreader that I used back then. We used this of course but I have a suggestion that might be useful to others. Measure the center-line distance between the spring perches before installing the spring and set the spreader to this measurement. This is a lot easier than adjusting it while crawling under the car.

We took a ride in the car after we finished and it performed well.

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions, Robert.
Robert, I am glad all has finally worked out for you and your back on the road!
I must caution others and with respect, disagree with your advice in regard to making the spreading task easier.
While your advice depicts perhaps an easier way to do this, it is not safe. The spring should be at minimum, loosely installed in the cross member. Then, and only then would I consider spreading the spring out enough to attach it to the bars.
If that spreader becomes dislodged while using your advised method, God help ya. Both the spreader and spring will be dangerous projectiles.
If the spring is loosely installed in the cross member, it is trapped should the spreader let go.
Good quality spreaders have a dedicated hook near each end. Two chains are wrapped around the cross member and attached to these hooks. Should the spreader fail, it is limited in travel by the chains.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:25 AM   #16
Robert/Texas

Kube, I agree with everything you said but would like to add that doing this job on the ground is scary. In our case my son-in-law tightened the spreader quite a bit before crawling under the front of the car with the assembly. The spring was lacking about 3 inches of length at that point. As he was tightening the spreader, I was concerned that it could come loose. He was really grunting doing this. I’m 87 years old and he is 64 and hopefully we will never need to do this again.

Thanks, Robert.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:04 AM   #17
Kube

Quote:
Kube, I agree with everything you said but would like to add that doing this job on the ground is scary. In our case my son-in-law tightened the spreader quite a bit before crawling under the front of the car with the assembly. The spring was lacking about 3 inches of length at that point. As he was tightening the spreader, I was concerned that it could come loose. He was really grunting doing this. I’m 87 years old and he is 64 and hopefully we will never need to do this again.

Thanks, Robert.
I so understand. Just glad ya got it done and you're back to enjoying your car
Old 04-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #18
Krylon32

I'm not sure Posies is able to supply anything? Had springs ordered for a year now with nothing. Call them and they just brush you off. Been a Posie dealer since they started and get treated like crap. I'd use Detroit Eaton but they don't make rolled and tapered end springs that I can find?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote