Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
alexiskai

Default Supply chain woes

Wanted to give folks a heads up, Snyder's is out of stock on the laminated timing gear and also the SS water pipe they source from Aries; stock is expected back in "8-12 weeks."

Also had two vendors report out of stock on the copper water outlet gasket (I know, just use RTV).

If you've had any other unexpected out-of-stock reports, post it here.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: Supply chain woes

My bank account is "out of stock"
Old 10-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
My bank account is "out of stock"
Same here and getting re-stocked is iffy.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Interiors - Car Touch and Classtique - exceptionally long lead times

Berts Carbs - Can be months lead time dependent on demand, when ordering make sure to ask 1st
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
JKY

The 28 29 instrument panel light.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
alexiskai

Quick reminder that if you're looking for a common part, such as an instrument panel light, take a moment to search the Swap Meet section and/or post in the Wanted forum. Since I posted above, someone kindly directed me to a timing gear for sale. Help a member out!
Old 10-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
JKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Quick reminder that if you're looking for a common part, such as an instrument panel light, take a moment to search the Swap Meet section and/or post in the Wanted forum. Since I posted above, someone kindly directed me to a timing gear for sale. Help a member out!
Thanks
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
jak

I know Bratton's has the laminated timing gears on the shelf.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
alexiskai

Mike's also had them in stock. Most of these items will be in-stock somewhere, but I've placed several orders in the last week and for each one I got a call back from the vendor saying X or Y item was out of stock and wouldn't be in for a while – so then I had to hunt around, put another order together, etc. Not saying it's a crisis, just saying it's a good idea these days to call ahead and make sure key items are in stock before you build an order.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #10
Oldbluoval

Many of the formerly available resto parts are going by the wayside
The economic production quantities versus demand and those that can/will produce is waning greatly. Also individual craftsmen are aging and retiring
If you need it and it’s a good part buy it now...or buy 2!
It may not be around in 2 years
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
alexiskai

That would be another fun thread: "great repro parts you can't buy anymore." No fair listing parts that have never been available as quality reproductions – has to be something that you used to be able to buy.

Examples I can think of: good transmission bearings. Those clear distributor caps (though I heard they weren't very durable). All the stuff Howell's used to sell.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
Synchro909

Another aspect to this thread is "Parts that were never available but should have been" Where to begin!? For our RHD cars, there is a multitude of parts that have never been available from the vendors, especially the big ones. I'll try to list a few. Clutch and brake pedals, the shaft on which they mount and bushes for them, the accelerator pedal and linkages, inlet manifold, the bell crank and rods to work the distributor timing, ready to go wiring looms, bell housings, steering arms, pitman arms, drag link, brake cross shaft, steering column support bracket, the bracket that bolts to the back of the block for the starter button to starter motor linkage to start with. Also sometimes not available, worm and sector for either 7 tooth or 2 tooth steering boxes.
There will be others I have missed. We have to improvise, modify, repair and recycle old, 90+ year old parts you guys would throw out without a thought.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #13
alexiskai

Hey get your own thread.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
McMimmcs

one of the lessons to be learned is check with more than one supplier!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #15
SteveB31

As a supplier, I can tell you many items not available, but not for the reasons some of you think. Mostly- too much demand. The pandemic sent so many people home working on their cars rather then doing other things .Secondly, many of the machine shops both in the USA and abroad were closed for weeks due to pandemic, but we were still buying parts, so now they are way behind making parts. Thirdly, several manufacturers of Model A parts either died, got sick, or closed up and retired. Demand is there for the parts, but Making them is the hard part.

Steve Becker
Bert’s Model A Center

Last edited by SteveB31; 10-30-2020 at 09:50 PM.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
As a supplier, I can tell you many items not available, but not for the reasons some of you think. Mostly- too much demand. The pandemic sent so many people home working on their cars rather then doing other things .Secondly, many of the machine shops both in the USA and abroad were closed for weeks due to pandemic, but we were still buying parts, so now they are way behind making parts. Thirdly, several manufacturers of Model A parts either died, got sick, or closed up and retired. Demand is there for the parts, but Making them is the hard part.

Steve Becker
Bert’s Model A Center
Would that be because the skills required are not being taught these days?
Old 10-30-2020, 11:21 PM   #17
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Would that be because the skills required are not being taught these days?
No. This issue is across the board, and international. Just as the pandemic is. It’s hitting lumber, appliances, computers and nearly every industry. Some are more demand than supplies, others are individual and small suppliers being hit by shutdowns and quarantine. If the relatively small supplier that makes dishwasher pumps for GE dishwashers has an outbreak and shuts down for two weeks, that ripples through the GE dishwasher manufacturing and supply chain.

Same with car parts. Metal suppliers, foundries, machinists, platers, retailers.... each one of those has their own needs and supply chains! Platers need their chemicals, etc.
Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:57 PM   #18
Tod

If you aren't manufacturing things, you have no idea how difficult it is to get what you need to do the job, and how unavailable qualified people are to help with the never-ending demand. People have been conditioned to expect what they want in increasingly ridiculous and shorter amounts of time all the while oblivious to what goes in to getting what they want made. There are many reasons, as some have pointed out, for supply chain woes. Once weeks, and even months, of delays are forced upon us it is impossible to make up that time. Yet, the orders never slow. During this Covid thing I actually got busier than I could stand, as have others I know. Still, people act as though manufacturers should be able to cater to their timelines. Manufacturing is a different world than the world in which most people live.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:53 AM   #19
ronn

so it appears there is plenty of opportunity now to bring manufacturing back home...........

demand is there, albeit maybe not the funds to start a new enterprise..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:07 AM   #20
mhsprecher

The problem has never been with demand. What drives manufacturing is capability and cost, with an emphasis on the latter. If a company can pay 20% of what it would pay for labor in another country vs. the U.S., guess where it is going to manufacture? That's an oversimplification, but the bottom line.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote