Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2024, 03:16 PM   #21
CatMan1

Default Re: Car Is Shrinking........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
why not wear sneakers instead of boots?
I might try that. The problem I have is that I have such flat arches that the I the only thing that works for me is boots. I'd be fine in sneakers as long as I'm driving, but if I had to get out to walk, after about half an hour my back would be screaming at me!
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:19 PM   #22
Gene F

For years I had a pair of low profile sneakers I'd make a point to wear when driving my car.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 05:57 PM   #23
Robert/Texas

I'm 89 years old and 5 feet, 9 inches tall. My oldest son gave me several car cushions that are about 3 inches thick. On my '28 and '34 roadsters I step on the running boards and slip into the driver's seat. Then I slip a cushion under my butt. It is quite comfortable for me to drive this way but difficult and uncomfortable without the cushion. I do the same thing with my '22 roadster except that I use 2 cushions. I only drive these cars on the rural roads in my area.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:03 PM   #24
jg61hawk

Great thread... My wife and grandkids laugh..."Pop drives in his his socks". Yep, as soon as I get in the Roadster, off comes my footwear, sneakers or shoes or boots,,,,I can't navigate the pedals fast enough unless I'm footloose and fancy free!
Nice to know we are all in the same boat...Funny but serious...Again great post thanks.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:58 PM   #25
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Have you seen the “Fat Man’s Steering Wheel” for a Model T Ford?

Enjoy.
Helps you get in but still gets in the way if you like beer.......
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:02 PM   #26
ModelA29

Get yourself some genuine Italian driving shoes - https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/brun...d_seo_shopping
Old 04-18-2024, 09:51 PM   #27
Keith True

Legroom or seat room is not a problem for me in an A.My problem is my shoulders.I can only drive a closed A with the window up for a very short time.I have to have my arms out from my sides,so the left arm has to go out the window.Doing the kinds of work I've done all my life has left me with some weird shoulder socket configurations.There is no way a set of handcuffs can be put on me without dislocating one shoulder.I need two sets.I have a nice 28 phaeton that I am going to get rid of because it is so hard for me to drive.That left side parking brake is a constant pain on my left leg and knee.Probably the A with the most comfortable sitting and driving position for me is my 30 RPU.Right arm up holding the wheel,left arm resting on the door top,and my legs just seem to fit.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:36 AM   #28
Robert/Texas

Keith, That's interesting, I sold my early OCPU in March last year for the same reason that you sold your Phaeton. The guy I sold it to calls me once in a while but has never complained about this.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:57 AM   #29
ronn

I might try that. The problem I have is that I have such flat arches that the I the only thing that works for me is boots. I'd be fine in sneakers as long as I'm driving, but if I had to get out to walk, after about half an hour my back would be screaming at me!
you obviously havent had a decent pair of sneakers. go buy yourself some New Balance sneaks.......... great arches.

I was in the shoe biz in a previous lifetime.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:15 AM   #30
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Legroom or seat room is not a problem for me in an A.My problem is my shoulders.I can only drive a closed A with the window up for a very short time.I have to have my arms out from my sides,so the left arm has to go out the window.Doing the kinds of work I've done all my life has left me with some weird shoulder socket configurations.There is no way a set of handcuffs can be put on me without dislocating one shoulder.I need two sets.I have a nice 28 phaeton that I am going to get rid of because it is so hard for me to drive.That left side parking brake is a constant pain on my left leg and knee.Probably the A with the most comfortable sitting and driving position for me is my 30 RPU.Right arm up holding the wheel,left arm resting on the door top,and my legs just seem to fit.
Hey Keith just wondering how you know it takes two sets of handcuffs?! LOL
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:50 AM   #31
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
you obviously havent had a decent pair of sneakers. go buy yourself some New Balance sneaks.......... great arches.

I was in the shoe biz in a previous lifetime.
Interesting. I didn't know that. For years now I just wear Red Wing boots and have had great luck with them. I tried their shoes, but haven't been happy with them. Might have to look into New Balance.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:03 AM   #32
JayJay

I had to sell my ‘30 CCPU when my wife could no longer negotiate into the passenger seat after her hip replacement. Got the Town Sedans because I could push the front seat back. Better for her, and at the same time helped me with the additional legroom. However, the coolant heater in my ‘31 is mounted to the left of the steering column and constricts foot access to the clutch pedal, especially with boots on. Trade offs I guess.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:42 AM   #33
Keith True

Years ago I was on my way into town,and the local PD was on traffic detail at a water line repair.The officer looked at me,did a double take,and pointed for me to pull over and park off to the side.He started lecturing,we've given you breaks time after time,and you just crap on our faces in return.Turn around.He found my shoulders wouldn't cooperate to put the cuffs on.I told him he needed two sets,so he got out another set.He called for transport,and the chief showed up in a couple of minutes.THAT AIN'T Ronnie! They asked why I didn't say anything,but the truth was I knew something was wrong,and something in me wanted to see how far it would go before the detail cop realized it. A friend that looks as scruffy as I do had been caught sneaking around town without a license.They spanked him,sent him home,and told him to cool it.(he did)It didn't help that we drove identical blue Toyota pickups.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:39 AM   #34
Seth Swoboda

I had the same problem. I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs. So, I bought a V8 Ford and it solved the problem.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:17 AM   #35
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I had the same problem. I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs. So, I bought a V8 Ford and it solved the problem.
I'm leaning that way myself, but this is the car I dated my wife in and we left our wedding in so it's hard to sell.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:41 PM   #36
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
I'm leaning that way myself, but this is the car I dated my wife in and we left our wedding in so it's hard to sell.
Car has to much History. You must find a way to keep her in the family.

It’s like your baby cup. You may not be able to still use or need it, but the item represents something you will never get back. Your Youth!

Great story.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:52 PM   #37
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I've got a few pounds on you and would love to add a 33-4 Vicky to the stable. I wonder if any of the aprox 4,200 1933 Vickys got a 4 cylinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87339b41-acbb-4008-86cc-062d605155ff_largesize.jpg (56.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-19-2024, 05:40 PM   #38
ronn

Keith, thx for the laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:25 PM   #39
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
I've got a few pounds on you and would love to add a 33-4 Vicky to the stable. I wonder if any of the aprox 4,200 1933 Vickys got a 4 cylinder.

That is a really nice looking Ford.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:42 AM   #40
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
That is a really nice looking Ford. .

I'm torn on which one to get. The rarer early 33 had a fender like the Model A but later and in 34 the fender had an extra piece behind the wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fender.jpg (40.0 KB, 18 views)