Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
alumcantandthd

Default Original (style) '32 Roadster upholstery

All you '32 Gurus. Where do you guys go to for original looking Roadster interior?

Thanks
alumcantandthd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Original (style) '32 Roadster upholstery

With the demise of LeBaron Bonney, the answer shifted from certainty to uncertainty overnight. Mac's Cartouche division offers kits for both standard and deluxe '32 roadsters, but their website provides little information in the way of photos or material samples. They do state that they do not offer leather for the front seat cushions in the deluxe version, which is inconsistent with what was used originally on the deluxe cushions. Their asking prices seem absurdly low, which brings to mind the old saw about getting what you pay for.

Depending on how far you want to go with "original looking", your best bet might be using a qualified nearby auto upholstery shop and furnishing them what they will need in the way of photos and information to create your upholstery. Chapter 15 of the Early Ford V8 Club's "The 1932 Ford Book, A Production Chronicle and Restoration Guide", available on the Club's website (earlyfordv8.org) includes the requisite photos and other information regarding the original upholstery to permit you to do so.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #3
alumcantandthd

Thank you! I'm 'on the fence' about Cartouche kits. I'm reading some praises and some terrible 'horror stories'.
I'd like to see some detailed pictures of each interior panel they supply! Not an overview in a completed car, or a catalog picture.
Do you know if the "earlyfordV8.org" has such individual interior panel pictures one 'might'
be able to go off of?
LOL Your statement of "You get what you pay for". That ONLY applies to, paint jobs, chrome plating, motorcycle helmets, and ,,,,,,, (ahem) "ladies of the night"
Old 07-21-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumcantandthd View Post
Thank you! I'm 'on the fence' about Cartouche kits. I'm reading some praises and some terrible 'horror stories'.
I'd like to see some detailed pictures of each interior panel they supply! Not an overview in a completed car, or a catalog picture.
Do you know if the "earlyfordV8.org" has such individual interior panel pictures one 'might'
be able to go off of?
LOL Your statement of "You get what you pay for". That ONLY applies to, paint jobs, chrome plating, motorcycle helmets, and ,,,,,,, (ahem) "ladies of the night"
I'll disagree, its "seems" not even paint jobs these days!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
woodiewagon46

If you are looking for an interior that will pass the scrutiny of V-8 Club judging then Cartouche nor Classtique will do. As David points out, since the demise of LeBaron-Bonny you will need to do your research on the correct fabrics/leather and purchase the correct materials and go to a reputable upholstery shop with pictures and have the job done by them. As far as '32 gurus, David is number one and you will be well advised to take his recommendations and any pictures he can offer.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
DavidG

The V8 Club's book does have photos of original roadster door trim panels, both seat cushions, and most of the package tray area behind the seat back. I can supply others as well. They are not on the Club website, only in the book.

You haven't mentioned whether your car is a standard or deluxe version. There are significant differences in the door trim panels, materials, and colors between the two versions.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:51 PM   #7
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
If you are looking for an interior that will pass the scrutiny of V-8 Club judging then Cartouche nor Classtique will do. As David points out, since the demise of LeBaron-Bonny you will need to do your research on the correct fabrics/leather and purchase the correct materials and go to a reputable upholstery shop with pictures and have the job done by them. As far as '32 gurus, David is number one and you will be well advised to take his recommendations and any pictures he can offer.
To answer your question,,,,,,,. Not really. I am after the peoples comment, "Oh, this car has original upholstery/interior". As far as a, 'dead balls on match' Pebble Beach requirement, or custom, Tuck 'n roll, sculptered tweed ? No. Just nice 'original looking'.

'If' I could see good detailed pictures of the Cartouche interior kit,,,,,,.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:07 AM   #8
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The V8 Club's book does have photos of original roadster door trim panels, both seat cushions, and most of the package tray area behind the seat back. I can supply others as well. They are not on the Club website, only in the book.

You haven't mentioned whether your car is a standard or deluxe version. There are significant differences in the door trim panels, materials, and colors between the two versions.
What my 'build' is,,,,,,. Say, somebody in the east, in the mid to later '50's, very early '60's, is seeing/reading about all these California built '32's in the 'Hot Rod' magazines of the time! Is quite envious, and wants to build one. But lacks the experience, or help, nor $$$. Finds a old original '32 Deluxe Roadster, takes the fenders and running boards off, chops the windshield down, puts in a decent running junkyard OHV motor with an adapter, and a set of 6:00 16 Goodyear wide white walls on '48 Ford wheels, along with the brakes, from another junkyard car. Paints the body in primer, and has a blast because to him he built a high-boy just like in the magazine pictures.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #9
rockfla

Give this a try.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/india...s-deuceheaven/

Gene had a couple of Roadster's and there "Should" be a few pictures of the interiors on both you could get a good Idea of what they looked like!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:35 PM   #10
alumcantandthd

Great! Thanks for the pictures! I understand now.

OK, does ANYone have the same style of detailed pictures of the Cartouche interior kit?
Old 07-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #11
mike in tucson

Caution! counting the number of pleats and seams is a source of confusion for some upholstery guys. I had a leather seat made with the wrong number of seams...just looked wrong. Upholstery guy screwed up and didnt look at pics I sent. He re did it
at no charge.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote