Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
Jw

Default Re: 3-D printed hard-to-find parts

Very good point Brent, I have a friend who works at Lockheed Martin with a high scale "3D printer" and you would be amazed at what they can produce, and you are correct, the hobby folks would not have access to this precise technology.
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #22
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
These have been reproduced. Pretty sure I have an extra.

I know the hinge mounted style has been but I am unaware of the 10 3/8" pillar mounted arms being repoped.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #23
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw View Post
Very good point Brent, I have a friend who works at Lockheed Martin with a high scale "3D printer" and you would be amazed at what they can produce, and you are correct, the hobby folks would not have access to this precise technology.
Not have access YET. Like all technology it eventually trickles down to the lowest person.

You can buy one for your desk at home for $220 (plastic fillament style - fun to play with and drawing in 3d)

https://www.aniwaa.com/product/3d-pr...p-select-mini/

Make your own shifter knobs, little do dads, etc.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:38 AM   #24
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
This is not as easy as it might sound. Please allow me to interject some personal experience. The 3D printer is not that high-tech any longer, and even my shop will likely have a 12"x12"x12" by yearend. The only thing that a printer can do is assist with prototyping, and producing casting patterns. Printers are fairly cheap now however what most people do not realize is those printers must have a CAD Modeling program to have the part drawn in, and a separate program to write G-code which tells the printer the shape it needs to make. The expense of SolidWorks software which is a good modeling program runs about the same cost as a entry-level Tudor sedan. Then you must take the time to learn to use the program. That typically makes this endeavor cost prohibitive for the hobbyist.
Somewhere there are internet communities that use free software like Blender, Scetchup or some other free software and can convert them into something most printers can read and use.
Not sure how solidworks manages to retain their $5,000 a year fee or whatever it is they use.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:47 AM   #25
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Somewhere there are internet communities that use free software like Blender, Scetchup or some other free software and can convert them into something most printers can read and use.
Not sure how solidworks manages to retain their $5,000 a year fee or whatever it is they use.
FYI you can get a free student version of Autocad if you sign up using an email account ending in .edu (school email). Works great no limitations that i can tell. I "print" to a laser cutter all the time using that program. (equally fun machine)
Old 06-16-2018, 05:26 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
One analogy that I can think of is, you can build a house using a $50 Stanley hammer to drive each nail, -or you can you one that comes in a $3.00 kiddie toy tool set. There is that much difference between Sketchup vs SolidWorks.

Buying a $300 printer cannot hold the same tolerances in X, Y, & Z axis' as a higher quality unit. While your CAD drawing may show a round shift ball, you printed ball may be more akin to a ribbed egg when it has finished printing. Yes, I agree that as technology advances, the lower end stuff will become cheaper, ...but isn't it ironic that we always seem to hear about people here complain about poor quality repro parts how they are junk -yet here we are all excited about getting the cheapest unit made!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #27
mightynova63

I have a 3d printer and use it to make tools and parts all the time. I use viacad from Amazon. It's great tool for prototyping parts and even finish products.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
mightynova63 is offline   Reply With Quote