Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #21
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: backup camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
Grandkids sitting in back shouting "watch out Grandpa" works better then any camera
Ha,ha. With me it's more like Grandma sitting in the back seat shouting "watch out Grandpa" while my grandson sits up front with me...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #22
mleder

In reply to Jacksonlll, I bought my back up camera which is a Peak brand, sold by AutoZone and many online sources. The screen is maybe 4"x 6" ? has a suction cup mount. I have an auxiliary cigaret outlet I installed on the steering column and the suction mount lets the screen sit on the dash between the column and the instrument panel. When I want to remove it just unplug the power tap and remove suction mount. It may have cost me $50.00 to $60.00 when I bought it. I have a toggle switch under the windshield dash sheet metal that controls the voltage to the actual camera unit. I power up the screen from the cigaret outlet . My car is now sleeping as winter is starting to say hello here in Minnesota, it is not here now to send you a photo but contact me thru Fordbarn and when I get near the car I could send you a photo or two if needed.
mleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #23
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Mleder, thanks for the info. jack
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #24
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quite a few websites offering backup sensors, wired or wireless, prices vary.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #25
eagle

The model A electrical system is very noisy and will cause issues with modern electronics. Get a good quality noise filter, it'll save you some serious headaches. If you want to run 12 volt negative gND devices on 6 volt pos gND car, use a voltage converter. They are available on eBay cheap.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #26
Bill Goddard

Eagle,
I have installed a $30 backup camera in my A and I get interference on the video screen - I assume from the ignition system. It goes away when the engine is off. It is wired into the car's 12v power supply. What kind of filter would you recommend? Thanks Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #27
eagle

This will do the trick. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Auto...wAAOSwIcdZcaF8 you can run two of them if you have really bad noise. You have the wired version I take it? If you went analog wireless your not going to get rid of the interference. Wireless digital should be OK with a dc filter.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #28
Steve_KS

If you have a compatible Garmin you can use a wired or wireless backup camera. The babycam isn't waterproof but is completely wireless so you could mount it in the rear window or outside if you don't drive in the rain. Garmin also has wireless backup cameras that mount to the license plate frame and need only 12V.

Babycam - says discontinued but maybe you can still get them on Amazon.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/521255

This one needs 12V only so the video data is wireless. And its waterproof. Looks like its compatible with lots of devices you may already have one.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/501486
Steve_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #29
ryanheacox

Could also be RF interference. I remember starting my Jeep about 30 feet from my running A and I got a bunch of interference over my radio from the ignition system. I imagine it would also wreak havoc with more sensitive electronics if they aren't heavily shielded.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #30
burner31

My dad had several on his old car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cf3bd113ae9a0a4081833ea153a6e0ab.jpg (70.1 KB, 27 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #31
KenCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
My dad had several on his old car
My Dad had a 1957 Country Sedan wagon. Before seat belts, my brother and I used to be back there, take naps in the back, and all kinds of stuff. Good memories.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #32
daveymc29

The right side shift rod moves to the rear as you shift into reverse, I drilled and tapped the cover and installed a switch so I won't doddle along and put my car in reverse while it is in OD. Borg Warners don't appreciate being driven in reverse while engaged. Wouldn't something similar work for your backup camera? Just the opposite of mine, make a complete circuit instead of breaking it. Switch maybe $5.00 and a bit of wire. Hour to get the boards out, drill and tap hole, rest of the day spent finding all the screws again for the floorboards.

Ace forgetful Mechanic
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:19 PM   #33
Tom Endy

The link in post #3 will take you to the web site of the Santa Anita A's of Arcadia, California. My article about the back-up camera describes the camera I installed in my Victoria about three years ago. I have not had a problem with it. There is no RF interference with the signal caused when the engine is running. The picture is very clear at all times. As shown in one of the photo the screen is mounted just to the left of the steering wheel. The on\off switch is close to my left hand when on the wheel, so it is very easy to turn it on and off.

A Victoria has a number of blind spots and I have always been careful when backing up. I drive the car almost every day and the back-up camera has been a significant aid. When backing up in a super market parking lot I can easily see if some little kid is standing or walking behind the car.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:12 AM   #34
Dodge

I had a backup camera back in the 1970’s but it took too long to develope the film.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:28 AM   #35
GerryAllen

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I guess with 75,000 plus Fordbarn members we dont have to worry about a half dozen modernites changing our hobby. I personally have an A because I want it to look 85 years old. I was glad to see a person refused judging at a car show in the summer because of too many enhancements. They told him to enter in the hot rod group. Wayne

Because of my lower back Arthritis, poor movement in my neck from a car accident, I have been thinking on getting a back up camera. I appreciate the info provided.
I use my car as my daily driver putting on about 200 miles a week. Any tool I can use to make it safer for me and less chance of backing into a rural mail box or someone gawking at the car the better. The camera would be an asset.
Before I give up my Sweet Pea, I will use what ever device required to keep me on the road. Just a thought and hope the purists understand there may be a valid reason for some one wanting or needing an ad on to their Model A.
Just a thought................
Gerry Allen, Birch Bay WA.

Last edited by GerryAllen; 06-16-2018 at 05:35 AM.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #36
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
I had a backup camera back in the 1970’s but it took too long to develope the film.
Thats funny, good one
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #37
SAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryAllen View Post
Because of my lower back Arthritis, poor movement in my neck from a car accident, I have been thinking on getting a back up camera. I appreciate the info provided.
I use my car as my daily driver putting on about 200 miles a week. Any tool I can use to make it safer for me and less chance of backing into a rural mail box or someone gawking at the car the better. The camera would be an asset.
Before I give up my Sweet Pea, I will use what ever device required to keep me on the road. Just a thought and hope the purists understand there may be a valid reason for some one wanting or needing an ad on to their Model A.
Just a thought................
Gerry Allen, Birch Bay WA.
Gerry, I second that. I am blind in the right eye, so have no depth perception. Even if I could turn my head enough to look backwards (I cannot due to arthritis) I still cannot tell how close rear objects are. So when parking I have to get out and look at clearances behind (roadster and Tudor with rear trunks) before finishing the parking operation.
Unless my passenger helps or there is a shop window reflection to assist.
Frontal clearances are just as difficult for me, so on a 1953 Alvis I installed the sonar parking sensors front and rear.
A camera would be even better.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #38
dumb person

TBH some sedans would benefit from a reversing camera in these modern car parks. It's funny how the parks are so small but all modern cars are foot wider than they used to be. Parking the model A is like trying to park a truck.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #39
5lugnuts

The Garmen gps only requires 5 v dc neg ground. The cigarette power plug only allows 5 v neg grnd through no matter what voltage your car is. I have added the socket to my 6 volt battery supply and use it often.

Most digital stuff is either 5 volt or 12 volt. Does any one have a schematic for a camera that says the necessary voltage. Just because the box may say 12 volt neg grnd doesn't mean it really is. The Garmen schematic says 5 volt but the box says 12.
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote