Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #21
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: One of those annoying questions...

Yo V8COOPMAN: I'd have a T5Z in there today - with the better .82 overdrive (roadrace overdrive) except the car is too original and it is not one I'm willing to cut the frame or floorpan (or really anything else) on it. This gives me VERY limited options - pretty much none . . . other than a 39 style box instead of a 32.

Also. I have the rare original 32 torque tube for the late style rear, NOS driveshaft for the same, etc. I just can't screw up this original stuff . . . nor can I put a quick change in it (would require mods to the rear cross, rear floorpan and the gas tank). So, when the day is all done, there are really very few options left (that don't require cuttings/mods to something) - that leaves a Columbia.

And as most know, a Columbia was not available for a 32 - so I will be taking a later version and grafting it to a 32 bell - to create my own. It should be a fun project and hopefully it will turn out as I envision. I'll keep you posted once I get it built and in the car . . . for some road-test fun!

Now on my 34 roadster . . . I'm really leaning toward a T5Z transmission with a quick change - pretty much the ultimate combination for the likes of me. LOL Heck, I may decide to do the 'torque tube' version that you've documented - depending on the rest of the rear drive train. I'll have some heavier horsepower (300- 400) with a blown Ardun setup, so I know I can't run a 39 box (at least for long!) LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #22
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
B&S, I'm wondering which year and model car did you put the 3.54 rear gears into?
Also, which year transmission and what gear combination are you using in the transmission that's in this car?
Car: 32 Cabriolet, full fendered - 25T LZ gears, 39 Box - late style main shaft, gears, synchro, etc..

My problem is compounded due to me running 25T LZ gears in the tranny - which are not the best combination to have with a 3.54 rear. Truth be told the higher ratios of the LZ gearset do noting for performance . . . never did, never will.

BUT - the LZ cluster is the strongest of the 39 box gearsets - though I've managed to hurt them as well. It made me almost cry to see teeth shaved off of my prior 25T cluster (was a NOS gear) . . . but so be it.

Keep in mind that my engine is far from stock and I drive it hard at times. I think the dyno at Bob Ida's was the death of the last cluster. LOL

I spend a lot of time tuning my 39 gear boxes to be the best they can be - with the best parts, tight clearances, correct cluster shafts, etc.. I can't make them any better - but I also can't make them any stronger. They are what they are . . .
Old 04-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

B&S …...I totally understand why you'd not want to cut anything on THAT car. Sounds like you have thought it out quite well and your plans are probably the best option. I like the 28-spline axle mod, too. I'd make sure to have the bell-ends prepped for the Lincoln Bendix brakes you already have rather than some big-wide, later model brakes which MAY be TOO much brake for the rear of that light vehicle. It all sounds good and ought to be a hoot! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You guys are talking crazy talk, I like it!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Car: 32 Cabriolet, full fendered - 25T LZ gears, 39 Box - late style main shaft, gears, synchro, etc..

My problem is compounded due to me running 25T LZ gears in the tranny - which are not the best combination to have with a 3.54 rear. Truth be told the higher ratios of the LZ gearset do noting for performance . . . never did, never will.

BUT - the LZ cluster is the strongest of the 39 box gearsets - though I've managed to hurt them as well. It made me almost cry to see teeth shaved off of my prior 25T cluster (was a NOS gear) . . . but so be it.

Keep in mind that my engine is far from stock and I drive it hard at times. I think the dyno at Bob Ida's was the death of the last cluster. LOL

I spend a lot of time tuning my 39 gear boxes to be the best they can be - with the best parts, tight clearances, correct cluster shafts, etc.. I can't make them any better - but I also can't make them any stronger. They are what they are . . .
Okay B&S, thank you for your response. This answers the questions on why you weren't having as much fun driving those back roads after installing 3.54 rear gears.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #26
Bored&Stroked

BTW JM 35 Sedan: I love your Einstein quote at the bottom . . . have been in the 'Innovations' world most of my life and there is nothing like a relentless pursuit of things that others say can't be done - and then accomplish exactly what they spent all their time NOT doing!
Old 04-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #27
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
BTW JM 35 Sedan: I love your Einstein quote at the bottom . . . have been in the 'Innovations' world most of my life and there is nothing like a relentless pursuit of things that others say can't be done - and then accomplish exactly what they spent all their time NOT doing!
I'm always challenged by the "no can do" or "that's impossible" statements.... I had a fiber press on camshaft timing gear fail on my '35 fordor Avatar driver about 10 yrs ago. I was on my way to Hershey, going along about 35-40 mph and it seemed like someone just reached over and flipped my ignition switch off. Trailered it back home and tried to think of the quickest way to remove old gear and install an aluminum version without having to pull the camshaft. Many here said I could not press the new gear back on and align timing marks without removing the cam. I made some quick tools to do this, and put everything back together. This was 30+ thousand miles ago, and (knock on wood) all is still running well.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 04-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #28
38bill

Quote:

FWIW: I installed a '39 3 spd with LZ gears, 3:54 rear and tall tires and did not like it either. Sold it and installed a S10 T5 (with the low 1st gear) and love it.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #29
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
FWIW: I installed a '39 3 spd with LZ gears, 3:54 rear and tall tires and did not like it either. Sold it and installed a S10 T5 (with the low 1st gear) and love it.
Damn you Bill . . . did you have to remind me! LOL
Old 07-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #30
Terranova

Well, I finally bought a transmission.

https://youtu.be/zGvcQXxPppw

Untitled by Mike Terranova, on Flickr
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #31
Tim Ayers

I turn 50 in Dec and I'm going to ask for a bullet proofed Columbia rear for my Roadster. Seems like a fitting gift.

I agree that this is the best of both worlds if you want to retain the stock trans, mounting and torque tube set up.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:21 PM   #32
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I turn 50 in Dec and I'm going to ask for a bullet proofed Columbia rear for my Roadster. Seems like a fitting gift.

I agree that this is the best of both worlds if you want to retain the stock trans, mounting and torque tube set up.
Good for your Tim! I'll document the build out of my Columbia - have all the 8620 steel parts for it, 28 spline axles, etc.. It will be about as strong as one can make it . . . which still isn't all that strong, but it is my best option.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:08 AM   #33
Tinker

I'm in a small minority for just driving a 3sp. Every day it gets harder to care...

My buddy, thinking he might be on to something... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFnkCIwGwiA

Last edited by Tinker; 07-07-2020 at 02:14 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:14 AM   #34
jrvariel48

I love my T5!! 1900 rpms @ 65 mph in 5th gear
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #35
TFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
the plan was to put a Ford AOD behind a my 8BA so that my MIL could drive the car,

Terranova
Might be off the subject but... why would your mother-in-law want to drive your Fordor?? (Asking for a friend)
TFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:39 AM   #36
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB View Post
Might be off the subject but... why would your mother-in-law want to drive your Fordor?? (Asking for a friend)
Maybe he used MIL to mean 'millennial' - same problem, different era. LOL
Old 08-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #37
TFB

TFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #38
solidaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post

I like the way you're thinking. I'm doing the same. A T5 would probably preform better, but installing a modern type tranny in my car is not what I want to do with my car. To each his own.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #39
JM 35 Sedan

If someone, someday, somehow, somewhere truly comes up with that seemingly impossible 5 speed overdrive transmission that's a "direct bolt in" replacement for a stock '35 transmission, and requires appsolutely no cutting, or otherwise changing of stock components (except transmission).......please, please let know

Old 08-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #40
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
If someone, someday, somehow, somewhere truly comes up with that seemingly impossible 5 speed overdrive transmission that's a "direct bolt in" replacement for a stock '35 transmission, and requires appsolutely no cutting, or otherwise changing of stock components (except transmission).......please, please let know

John....That extra 5th gear pair just takes-up too much additional real estate behind the other gears. Gotta remember that external 5th gear shift mechanism takes-up a smidge more room, also. Even that Ford F-150 3-speed w/OD is longer than the old Ford 3-speed. So, don't be holdin' your breath waiting for YOUR dream trans to come along. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote