Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #121
Jersey Devil

Default Re: 1951 Ford overdrive

Mr Laser

Thanks for taking the time to let us know the resolve of your issue. Great documentation.

Enjoy the miles with your OD,

Tom
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #122
40cpe

I'm glad you stuck with it to the end. Congratulations!
40cpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #123
tubman

Congratulations! I have to say that I admire your perserverance and am glad you have this finally figured out. I am in the process of installing an OD in my '51 as well and really appreciate this thread.

Happy motoring!
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #124
Anteek29

Sweet wrap up to a frustrating problem. I admire your tenacity - it paid off!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #125
mrlaser

Well I now have driven about 120 miles since the OD issues were solved. I can't believe the incredible difference it makes in the driving experience.

Unfortunately, one problem remains. The OD actuating cable is very stiff to operate. I don't have the original bracket that fixes the aluminum fitting near the end of the cable housing to the transmission. Proper immobilization of the housing is necessary to allow the inner cable to move freely and operate the OD lever. At present, I have used a simple cable clamp attached to the top bolt on the solenoid. This is putting the cable on a slight bind. Would anyone have a picture of ( and a potential source for) the correct bracket? I also need information as where the bracket attaches to the transmission? I did try a bracket from a '55 Thunderbird but was unable to make it work. Thanks for any help that may be provided.
mrlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #126
rotorwrench

The paper back parts catalog I have doesn't show an illustration for the overdrive control cable but a part number similar to what the Mercury cars use is listed as 8A4296. I'm not sure how it attaches since it is different than the Mercury types. They had one that was a curved metal piece that attached above the square pocket between the shift arms in a threaded hole there and used a stud with a nut to hold the cable guide. The other type was a clamp like an Adel clamp only it had an extra bend in it as a stand off and it either bolted to the same place or it bolted on with one of the side cover top bolts. The illustration is not good enough for me to tell.

A person could use an Aircraft type Adel clamp but they might have to fabricate a stand off to get as straight a position as possible with the lock out lever. I would look for one made from steel. It could take the pressure better than an aluminum one.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:23 AM   #127
mrlaser

Thank you. I will research your suggestion.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #128
Black Fifty

Don't know if you still need a picture of that cable clip for the OD, but here's the one on my '50 Custom Deluxe. Haven't found a part number though. Have you checked with Mac VanPelt?
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OD Cable at Trans.jpg (30.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Black Fifty; 09-07-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Black Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #129
mrlaser

That's great. I haven't found another picture of the bracket. I see that it is attached to the top bolt holding the solenoid which is where I currently have it fastened with a cable clamp. Unfortunately that puts the cable in a bind. I will try Mac Vanpelt next week. Thanks so much for posting the picture.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #130
Black Fifty

I'll take a couple of pictures that show how the rest of the cable is routed from the firewall down to the trans on mine. It's a pretty straight shot to that solenoid the way it's setup.

Mike
Old 09-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #131
Black Fifty

Mr Laser,
I'm not a photographer for sure. But these pix may help. The cable on mine comes out of firewall and arcs down to a clip on the steering gear. The other cable is speedo. Then it passes through this tab on bellhousing. Not sure if that's correct, but the car hasn't been messed with much in 70 years (64,000 current miles). The last place the cable is held is with the clip on the solenoid shown in the previous post. No binding issues. That's all I got!

Mike
P.S. Thanks for volunteering to be our new R-11 Overdrive expert!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inkedod cable 1_LI.jpg (51.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Inkedod cable 2_LI.jpg (52.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Black Fifty; 09-08-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add content
Old 09-09-2020, 05:48 AM   #132
Mac VP

Unfortunately we don’t have any of the various clips/clamps for securing the overdrive cable. First of all, without the cable connected to the lockout lever, check it for smooth operation. If the inner and outer cable elements are corroded (or dry) try pulling them apart and cleaning any rust off......then grease the inner cable. If the cable seems badly corroded or badly kinked, I’d recommend replacing it with a new cable. We have those in stock.

There were several locations for supporting clamps, and you’ve seen some pictures in this topic thread. Over the years I think Ford tended to change the clamp locations as well. I have some drawings from several 49-59 chassis parts manuals that I have posted a links to.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F..._53-59ford.jpg

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...49to52merc.jpg

The final clamp is shown on the solenoid upper bolt in one image and it’s on an upper shifter housing bolt in another image.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #133
mrlaser

Thanks for the additional pictures and the diagrams. I had already replaced the OD cable during the restoration. The cable only binds when fixed with the cable clamp at the solenoid. I will fabricate another bracket like the one shown in the later Ford exploded view. Actually, I have enjoyed using the OD position so much that it's hard to imagine pulling that handle out. That is especially true since I live on the coast in Savannah, where things are pretty flat.

BTW, although I appreciate the compliment, I am a learning "novice" with regards to the overdrive. I give complete credit to the members of this forum, and especially Gary Duff, for all their help solving this vexing issue.