Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
kelly.ga

Question Gas tank question

Hey guys, I am still trying to crank my 47 after it has sat for about 4 or 5 years. I found out I was getting no gas to the fuel pump. I have disconnected everything and blown air through the gas lines, elec fuel pump and into the gas tank. I took the sender unit out to have a look inside. Now, question, does the line going into the tank have a filter on it that might be stopped. The tank doesn’t look all that bad from what I can see but it looks like it wouldn’t be a big job to drop the tank and either replace or put some of that stuff in it to redo the inside. Any thoughts on this. Thanks
kelly.ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
Gumpy

Default Re: Gas tank question

Why drop the tank when that may not be the problem...I would check the electric fuel pump if its getting power to it..then go from there..
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

No filter on the inside of the tank unless it has been modified. Start at the outlet of the fuel pump, disconnect the output line and see if it will pump fuel into a catch container. Then work your way forward to the carb and see where the fuel stops.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
kelly.ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
No filter on the inside of the tank unless it has been modified. Start at the outlet of the fuel pump, disconnect the output line and see if it will pump fuel into a catch container. Then work your way forward to the carb and see where the fuel stops.
Thanks, the elec pump is working but not getting gas up to the mech pump. That’s why I wondered if maybe there was a filter in the tank that was stopped up. The elec will not push gas up to the mech even though it is mounted as close to the tank as I could get it. I have a new elec pump, guess I’ll try that. Thanks
kelly.ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
paul2748

If you have any flex line from the tank to the electric pump, make sure it it good. Possibly blocked.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #6
Bailey41

Im putting an electric pump on my 41 ford sedan. Any help for where the best spot to mount it??
Bailey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey41 View Post
Im putting an electric pump on my 41 ford sedan. Any help for where the best spot to mount it??
My ‘41 has an electric pump installed by the previous owner about halfway between the tank and engine. It’s mounted in the frame rail. It’s connected to a spring mounted switch and is only used for starting, car runs on the original pump.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey41 View Post
Did you see my answer on your other post?
Old 06-06-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly.ga View Post
Thanks, the elec pump is working but not getting gas up to the mech pump. That’s why I wondered if maybe there was a filter in the tank that was stopped up. The elec will not push gas up to the mech even though it is mounted as close to the tank as I could get it. I have a new elec pump, guess I’ll try that. Thanks
Just because the pump is making a noise doesn't mean it is working. Did you take the outlet line off of the pump and see if fuel is coming out? If no, take off the inlet side and see if it will pull fuel out of a separate container. A short piece of clear hose is helpful for testing.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #10
alanwoodieman

is the inlet filter of the electric pump clear? if it has the very small metal filter it could be clogged
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:08 AM   #11
Lawson Cox

Kelly. You had it running but it was bucking. Did you get that problem fixed? Is this a problem that has developed since you got the bucking fixed? Need any help? Lemee know. Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:25 AM   #12
Sal

I once had a problem where I was driving to a V-8 meet and my '48 started bucking and died. It started after sitting for a bit and got to where I was headed. On the way home it did it again and I was lucky one of my friends was trailering his car home. We put my car on his trailer and I drove his home. I took the tank down and discovered the fuel tank liner that I'd put in it years earlier had come off and was plugging the outlet in the tank. I took it to a radiator shop where it was cleaned out. I've never had that problem again.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #13
38coop

I read an article that says the ethanol type gas will cause the sealer put in tanks to eventually turn to goo and clog up fuel systems. Anyone had problems with this ?
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #14
Jockeyshift41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38coop View Post
I read an article that says the ethanol type gas will cause the sealer put in tanks to eventually turn to goo and clog up fuel systems. Anyone had problems with this ?
Not sure about ethanol but if the cleaning and etching wasn’t done properly the coating will peel off.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #15
John Gibson

On my 36 tank the inlet tube that is inside of the gas tank had plugged up so much that I’d only be able to drive a few miles before I’d be on the side of the road. I bought a new Drake tank and installed it.

With the original tank on the bench I found that I couldn’t get much air down the inlet tube and I couldn’t push a 1/8th inch rod through it. I ran a long drill down the pickup tube to clean out the crud that had accumulated. Don’t know if it was an accumulation of rust, gas tank sealer or a combination of all of the above. Whatever it was was very hard to drill out. I doubt that you could diagnose this problem without removing the tank.

John
John Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #16
bill h

Had the same problem with I liner I installed years ago. The rad shop at the time only seen it a couple of times. It was due to ethanol. The newer sealers are ok
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #17
G.M.

Blow air into the line from the tank with fuel pump
disconnected. blow air in from bottom of tank WITH
CAP REMOVED. G.M.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #18
bill h

The line inside the tank that runs down the side and along the bottom of the tank could be rusted out (usually along the bend going up the side)
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #19
19Fordy

Install your pump as close to the tank as possible. Pump instructions will tell you.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #20
51woodie

Kelly. I had a fuel problem with my '46 Coupe, and found a wonderful surprise when I removed the fuel sender from my tank. The previous owner had used red rubber for a gasket, and a bunch of it deteriorated and fell into the tank. The pieces caused a restriction in the fuel pickup line in the bottom of the tank. Assuming your '47 is similar, lift the floor liner in the trunk, remove the cover that is held in place by one screw, and that exposes the fuel sender. Disconnect the sender wire and isolate it with tape (don't want any sparks if you turn the key on). Remove the sender, and look over to the left at the bottom of the tank, and you will see the fuel pickup tube. That was where a piece of rubber was stuck in my case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2008.jpg (21.7 KB, 16 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote