Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
67triumph

Default 1938 truck door latch problem

Over the weekend my passenger door won’t open, looks like some came undone on the latch. Is there a way I can get the door open so I can take everything part and investigate the problem, I’m looking for alternative methods from the outside to get the lock to move so I can get to all the screws from the inside. Any pics for reference would be good to so I know what I need to move
67triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
Stenny

Default Re: 1938 truck door latch problem

You don't indicate if the door will open from the inside but I presume it won't so you will have to remove the interior door panel which will give you easy access to the pull rod from the handle. Once you have it open, you can then determine what is causing the problem. Since this is the door with the key lock, it may be that the lock has somehow failed and is not allowing the latch to open. The lock can be removed by access thru a small hole in the door jam area. There is not much to this assembly so not too much can go wrong.
Stenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
67triumph

After some figuring out I finally got the latch free and took it out, the mechanism has an area that the metal split and needs to be welded up, should be an easy fix and should have it put all back together tomorrow
67triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
supereal

Sticking or stuck door latches are often due to worn hinge pins or loose hinge bolts that allow the door to drag. It doesn't take much. Look at the latch bolt and/or the part on the frame of the door for signs of excess wear.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote