Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Doctor's Ford

Question 1933 Model B 4 cyl horse power?

I started restoring my 33 Tudor model B with a 4 cyl engine. Can somebody clarify what the HP of this engine is? My "early V8 restoration book" does not provide the information. The V8 engine apparently has 85 HP but no specific 4 cyl info given. Need this data to buy the engine overhaul kit. Thank you
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 1933 Model B 4 cyl horse power?

50 Hp at 2800 rpm with a 4.8 head.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Charlie Stephens

This may be a dumb question (that could lead to something else) but why do you need the horsepower to buy the engine overhaul kit? Don't you just need a kit for a 4 cylinder 1933 Ford? Are they giving you any choices for horsepower? There was only one 4 cylinder engine available in the Ford unless they might be getting into some of the smaller displacement engines used in Europe.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
thepolecat

you have the choice usually of a model A, B, or C- they may be asking type of engine in that respect.
thepolecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Floyd

He may be asking because there was the 124 cubic inch 4 banger for export trade. (look at his address) Therefore outside of the U.S.,that info is important. Also there is no such thing as a model C.
Thanks
Floyd
Floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Walt Dupont--Me.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
He may be asking because there was the 124 cubic inch 4 banger for export trade. (look at his address) Therefore outside of the U.S.,that info is important. Also there is no such thing as a model C.
Thanks
Floyd
Your right Floyd, there is no such thing as a C engine. Now that will make alot of old timers start thinking. I build alot of A and B engines. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Doctor's Ford

Floyd is right. The car is in South America, it is an export R hand drive but I have no idea if engine HP is the same as the US model. There were no issues with taxation in South America the way it was in Europe, so probably is the same US engine. I know it is a model B for sure based on the serial on the chassis. The reason I needed the HP is that Kanter won't even quote a kit if I don't provide the HP. They claim there are different kits based on HP. I also thought that was not important as pointed by Charlie Stephens, but what the heck, otherwise they would not sell one to me. Does anyone think that is correct? I am getting nervous about ordering a $700 + kit and it could be the wrong one. Comments appreciated.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #8
Tudortomnz

If your '33 Tudor is the US export RHD model that were sent to Sth America, it will be the US 50hp engine. The 'small bore' engines were used by Ford England & are usually not found outside Europe, except for a few [mostly commercial chassis] exported by Ford UK from '33 to some British Dominion countries. They were British versions of the '32 type.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

I think you need to know the size of the bore in your engine, if the bore for the piston is worn you will need to know what oversize it will be machined to.

for connecting rods you will need to know what size the crankshaft is, or what size it will be machined to

The crankshaft main bearings are poured in the block ---then machined in the block to the size of your crankshaft

Sometimes the oversize of the existing pistons is marked on the piston ---and sometimes a standard sized piston is in a larger bore, I have seen bores that were near standard size at the bottom, and .060 oversize at the top due to wear.

Are you trying to do this yourself? Do you have a garage/machine shop helping you?
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
Doctor's Ford

Thanks for your replies. Everything will be done by a garage shop. I have no expertise at all. I just to have it done correctly and then enjoy driving it. Since I am spending a few weeks in the US I wanted to take the opportunity to bring all those parts back with me. I think I will call my mechanic and ask him about the size of the bore and crankshaft as you suggested. Its worth waiting a few weeks and order the right one!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Joblot Automotive is one US source, old firm in New York with plenty of South American export experience. http://www.joblotauto.com/

Sacramento Vintage Ford in California is a major Model B supplier, and Renner at http://www.rennerscorner.com/index.html covers engine accessories.

You need some books that are easy to get in reproduction from any old Ford parts place:
owner's manual (if 34 B is not available, get '32 B and '34 V8 ones!)
1932 Service Bulletins...major source of Model B information
1932-36 repair manual, reprint of an early manual
And you MUST get the '28-32 parts book, because you need to know what parts are the same as Model A and hence easy to get!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Kurt in NJ

Another option ----inserts, ---perhaps your engine man is not used to doing babbitt, but can line bore, and do machining.
http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/
I think he has "B" rods that can use 283 chevy pistons ---

also look at the set of "modern" type valves ---and other engine parts
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
tiger.1000

To really complicate things...........in the UK the Model B engines were RAC rated at
14.9hp and 24hp

RAC = Royal Automobile Club.

This calculation was used to asses road tax. Thus a 24hp Model B would attract a tax of £24.00 per annum....about a tenth of the price of the car when new.

A Ford 8 would be taxed at £8.00....the car cost £100.00.....about the price of a terraced house in the North of England !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote