Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
alexiskai

Default Swap meet etiquette / Luray

Next weekend I'm going to the Luray swap meet, it'll be my first one. Anyone have etiquette tips? Such as:
  • Is everything done in cash?
  • Do people tote their purchases around with carts or ferry it back to their vehicle?
  • What's reasonable to expect a vendor to know about their items?
  • How are car sales handled?
  • Does Luray have one of those meet-before-the-official-meet things?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Swap meet etiquette / Luray

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Next weekend I'm going to the Luray swap meet, it'll be my first one. Anyone have etiquette tips? Such as:
  • Is everything done in cash?
  • Do people tote their purchases around with carts or ferry it back to their vehicle?
  • What's reasonable to expect a vendor to know about their items?
  • How are car sales handled?
  • Does Luray have one of those meet-before-the-official-meet things?
[*]Is everything done in cash? Yes, pretty much.
[*]Do people tote their purchases around with carts or ferry it back to their vehicle? Some pull their own carts or two wheel dollies. Others use a backpack or bag. That place is not that big. Some will leave their purchases at the space they purchased in and go retrieve it when the day is done.
[*]What's reasonable to expect a vendor to know about their items? Assume nothing. Treat it as they know nothing. Most vendors are honest, but you still need to be on your guard.
[*]How are car sales handled? Cash on barrel-head.
I sold a Model-A 400A for $25k at Hershey, and the sale was done right there with 250 $100 bills. I would not expect anyone to accept a check or even cashiers checks.

[*]Does Luray have one of those meet-before-the-official-meet things? If you are referring to sales before, kinda. Vendors with larger vehicles will get into place early. Some sales will likely happen at the motels.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
alexiskai

Yes, thanks
Old 05-05-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
McMimmcs

[/B]
Quote:
Yes, thanks
That was the voice of experience answering your very important questions. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #5
McMimmcs

My only additional question is, are personal mobility scooters allowed or available to rent ?
Old 05-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
Ranchero50

Lightbulb Re: Swap meet etiquette / Luray

Quote:
Anyone have etiquette tips?
I haven't been to Luray yet but generally...

Make a list of what you need, what you want, and anything specific (part numbers, reference stuff etc.) Walk around your projects while doing it.

If it's expensive or rare ask before picking it up.

Be wary of stuff on the ground, try to avoid stepping on stuff.

Engage the sellers. It's a long day as a seller watching people walk by.

Want to buy or price something but don't know who to pay? Hold it up on the air and look around.

Try to avoid offering stupid low pricing. Asking how much they need for it usually get's you there quicker and both can decide the value.

Dress for the weather. Layers and pockets are your friends. Small bookbag helps for water etc.

Take a copy of your favorite resto catalog for price referencing. Google helps too if you are unsure.

If a smaller show make another pass or two. You'd be surprised at what you missed the first time through.

#1 tip is remember to have fun and don't expect more than the show may deliver. Even a bad show is better than most of 2020.

I got told I'm working Wednesday and Thursday nights 7pm-7am for emergency coverage so I may make the run down Friday afternoon if I feel up to it. Kind of a bummer but I'm at a good place on my projects.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #7
mhsprecher

As I recall, the ground is rather uneven, so scooters may have some difficulty. Hopefully there won't have been any rain. I don't really know of scooters are available, but I suspect not. As Brent said, it is not that big.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
As I recall, the ground is rather uneven, so scooters may have some difficulty. Hopefully there won't have been any rain. I don't really know of scooters are available, but I suspect not. As Brent said, it is not that big.
Thank you! Obviously a good one for me to skip ! Wayne
Old 05-05-2021, 10:36 PM   #9
CWPASADENA

If you pick up a part and are interested in purchasing it, DO NOT LAY IT DOWN. As long as it is in your hand, you are free to negotiate with the seller. If you put it down, any else can pick it up and buy it. Once you put it down, you have lost your right to negotiate if another person is interested. If you do have to put it down, put your foot on it to "hold your position".

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:41 PM   #10
Gil Sissons

I find that after walking thru the vendors if I reverse directions
and walk back thru the field I always see things I missed the
first time thru. Wish you well
Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:11 AM   #11
700rpm

Caveat emptor, Colin. And cash talks.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:12 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Thank you! Obviously a good one for me to skip ! Wayne
Well, look at it this way. Which would you rather attend, a 500 space swap meet with 100 spaces containing Model-A parts, ...or a 200 space swap meet with 100 spaces containing Model-A parts? It is a small(er) meet that does not have vendors with Camaro, Chevelle, Mustang, and 70s Chev P/U parts to walk past to get to the next space that has early car stuff. At the end of the day, your feet and your back appreciate the smaller meet.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-06-2021, 04:54 AM   #13
Wick

I've been at Luray 6 times. Not much happens during setup Thursday evening,but you might find something? ?? Friday moring it's wide open. A scooter would need to be a off road type. The field is bush hog cut. You can drive up and pick up your parts. Very easy going neighbor helping neighbor feel.
You will find parts you normally don't find at Big meets for Model As and Ts. You will probably see a kid learning to drive a T around.
Bring Cash. Big shopping center a couple miles down the road.
More vendors that you see from Hershey are showing up.
You can buy a can soda for a $1 Most vendors you can pull up a chair and chat with.

I'm bringing a load of parts from some nice picks. Fenders,hoods,31 tanks,21" wheels, 30/31 Roadster doors. Cowl bands,lights,windshield frames and much more. And lots of T parts.
See yall at Luray
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #14
greenie-reddy

Luray is about as laid back as possible: and quite unlike Hershey. A small grassy field with a few dozen vendors. All pretty much pre-war and a great way to spend a few hours. The parking lot is so close you can simply carry each purchase back. The Legion hall has good and inexpensive food with plenty of places to sit. And don’t miss the “country-style” bathroom facility.
greenie-reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #15
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Well, look at it this way. Which would you rather attend, a 500 space swap meet with 100 spaces containing Model-A parts, ...or a 200 space swap meet with 100 spaces containing Model-A parts? It is a small(er) meet that does not have vendors with Camaro, Chevelle, Mustang, and 70s Chev P/U parts to walk past to get to the next space that has early car stuff. At the end of the day, your feet and your back appreciate the smaller meet.
My rationale for skipping was not size of event or merchandise related! I am presently handicapped and committed to a wheel chair. Wayne
Old 05-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #16
Ranchero50

Mid-Atlantic pre-war swap meet is the Facebook group. Says they are over 60 vendors this year and they have picture of prior events.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:08 AM   #17
Wick

Mc, I'm sure they will let you drive your vehicle around the swap meet considering your circumstances.
Easy going bunch.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:25 AM   #18
Oldbluoval

As to cash....yes cash only. I’ve only seen one individual who could accept CC on their phone! Generally not a techno bunch!
I took a check at Hershey , once, because the guy was a friend of a guy I was with and he vouched for him! Yep bounced! Took me three months to get paid. The guy who vouched for him response was “well wouldn’t have thought that”
Cash is king
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:46 PM   #19
F1_1950

Went last year for first time. Everyone was very friendly. Last year lots of T Parts.
F1_1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #20
77Birdman

Sounds like fun, as far as payments, if you are a vendor and may not be aware, Square has a pretty good system. I have one set up for my contracting business as every once in awhile someone wants to use a a debit or credit card. There are no fees with it unless you use it which is nice for the vendor. Only down side is the percentage that square takes off the top, which isnt too much. Im the kind of person that rarely carrys cash, I use my debit card for everything. However I assume when going to these kind of places that cash is king so I will take a small stash along.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I think this Cash vs. checks/e-pay/etc. part is ignorant, -at least from my vantage point as a vendor.

If you are coming to an event with the intention of participating, I respectfully feel you need to come prepared. That means you really should come prepared with proper shoes that allow you to be comfortable walking around. You really need to come prepared with the proper clothing so you can dress for the weather conditions (-not too hot or too cold, or wet). Also come prepared with a list of what you are seeking. Come with measurements and/or pictures of things you are unfamiliar with so you can compare before you purchase, and come with a way to carry what you have purchased.

And finally, if you are serious about participating then you need to have cash with you in the proper denominations to make the deal. For example, if someone has something priced at $50 and you offer them $40, please don't hand them a 100 bill and expect them to make change. For me, taking any type of electronic payment is too troubling for the worth of it when you are standing in a field at a swap meet. Especially if we are speaking about something with a value of under $100. There are (-me included) attendees that have frequently carried large sums of money with them on the property of the meet.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #22
alexiskai

Is $20s an OK denomination to carry or would $10s be better? Assuming one is mainly in the market for items under $150.

I have an old ('81) copy of the JS, I was going to bring that and a current vendor catalog for reference.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #23
1931 flamingo

I'd bring all diff denominations in different pockets and don't forget to bargain (Will you take....................) If it's something you want/need and have been looking for a while, BUY IT. It might be gone if you come back or you may not find another. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #24
Jack Shaft
BANNED

We can't be serious...never been to a garage sale or a flea market?...
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #25
alexiskai

Sure, but every subculture has its own rules and I don't want to make assumptions. I went to an estate sale recently, and when the starting hour rolled around, the guy running it read a list of names off a list, and those people got to go in first. They knew a rule that I didn't.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Sure, but every subculture has its own rules and I don't want to make assumptions. I went to an estate sale recently, and when the starting hour rolled around, the guy running it read a list of names off a list, and those people got to go in first. They knew a rule that I didn't.
Reading between the lines Colin, are you going with the intention of buying a Phaeton, or just some random parts?

There is not any 'rules' that I am aware of on how buying & selling at a swap meet works. It basically a bunch of guys meeting in a grassy field with some surplus stuff they need to get rid of. Just come and see what is there, and if you find something that you want to purchase, then negotiate with the seller on price and payment methods at that time. I would definitely not stress over not knowing if there are any hidden rules or methods. Just come and make your main focus on fellowship with other Model-A guys.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #27
alexiskai

No, just parts. It's a long drive for me, and my bank doesn't have a branch in the area, so I just didn't want to make any rookie mistakes. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #28
ronn

Smile Re: Swap meet etiquette / Luray

sounds like Brent is buying lunch............. with all of that $ he is carrying.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
No, just parts. It's a long drive for me, and my bank doesn't have a branch in the area, so I just didn't want to make any rookie mistakes. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Maybe post what parts you are looking for with the hope that someone sees it and brings that item to the swap meet.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #30
alexiskai

List in order of priority
  1. '28-'29 radiator apron with good d-nuts and sheet metal
  2. 7-tooth steering box cover
  3. Stock distributor plates, body, rotor, cap, clamps (I'm building a spare)
  4. 3-bolt downdraft manifold
  5. Exhaust manifold, straight
  6. Correct late '29 bumper clamps
  7. Light switch housing

Also, I'm bringing a portable coil tester rig, so if anyone wants to buy a coil, come find me, I'll test it for you.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:15 AM   #31
Wick

The weather is going to be nice for the meet. Bring a jacket. I'll be mostly loaded with A parts.
Will also have lots of smalls. Plenty of 21" wheels. 3 sets
At least a dozen front fenders. Something neat,a pair of 3 rib tractor tires on 19" A wheels.
I prefer $20s on small deals.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:39 AM   #32
redmodelt

Don't low ball someone and pull out a wad of cash! I've never had the problem of having a wad of cash, buying or selling. LOL I try and have my money broke down so if buying a $1 item don't have to break a 10 or 20. Ask the seller if they can break $X amount bill. Most often they can but sometimes they can't. Sellers don't necessarily have a large amount on them ether. Not everyone selling is a Rockefeller!
Old 05-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #33
ronn

Don't low ball someone and pull out a wad of cash!

once a deal is verbally consummated, what does it matter? as a seller, I sure dont care. I agreed.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #34
alexiskai

I think it's more like if you made an emotional appeal or said "all I've got is a $20" or something. That's sort of a general rule, though, not just swap meets.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #35
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Don't low ball someone and pull out a wad of cash!

once a deal is verbally consummated, what does it matter? as a seller, I sure dont care. I agreed.
Quote:
I think it's more like if you made an emotional appeal or said "all I've got is a $20" or something. That's sort of a general rule, though, not just swap meets.
I actually witnessed something like that at Hershey one year where evidently the Buyer played some kind of song & dance to the Seller, and I guess the Seller agreed to it. Then when the cash was ready to exchange hands, something went wrong in a hurry where the Seller started yelling at the potential Buyer. The Buyer flagged down Hershey Region guys on a golf cart and got them involved. The Hershey Region guys radioed for Security to come quickly (...which was my que to leave quickly too!!). I never did know the outcome or exactly what the fuss was over, but I often wondered at what point is a swap meet sale binding from a legal perspective?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-12-2021, 01:38 PM   #36
ronn

but I often wondered at what point is a swap meet sale binding from a legal perspective?

when a gun or knife comes out- time to scram!
Old 05-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #37
alexiskai

Quote:
I never did know the outcome or exactly what the fuss was over, but I often wondered at what point is a swap meet sale binding from a legal perspective?
Verbal contracts are legally binding and find their way to courts on a regular basis. To be binding, a contract requires three things: consideration, offer, and acceptance.

Consideration means each party must surrender something of value. The "thing" may be intangible, and it is not required that the parties give the valuable thing to each other (for example I could pay you to give a car to my son). Offer means that one party signals his willingness to conclude the deal on the terms the parties have just discussed. Acceptance means the other party does the same. The signal can be verbal, or it can be as simple as I try to hand you money and you take it.

So in the Hershey case, even though no money had changed hands, if the parties had verbally agreed to the price, if the seller were to back out, the buyer would have a legal case. Whether it'd be worth enforcing is a whole other story.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #38
ronn

and furthermore- when its one on one- who knows what the truth is?

He said she said doesnt hold up in the court of law. so in that case, a verbal contract is unenforceable unless you have a witness. who in their right mind would ever be a witness
for the sale of some rust?
Old 05-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #39
Tom Endy

It is prudent to be very careful when approaching a seller to negotiate a lower price. You never know, some of these guys take it as a personal insult if you suggest they lower the price. I had a couple guys go off on me and I just walked away. Since I am up in my years my approach is to ask if there is a seniors discount.

When I am selling I am very careful to be polite when rejecting an offer. I thank them for the offer, but say I think I can get my price if it is something I restored to sell and have a set price. Other stuff I know my bottom price so I politely negotiate with them.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #40
dean from bozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
It is prudent to be very careful when approaching a seller to negotiate a lower price. You never know, some of these guys take it as a personal insult if you suggest they lower the price.
I had that happen to me at the Big Three Swap meet in SD. It was a $15 part and I offered $12. The old man said 'Put it down. I'm not selling anything to you. I know what my things are worth'. ..or something to that effect.

- Cash is king. Put big bills in one pocket. Small bills in another.

- Keep the part in your hand until you make a decision. Once it touches the table it is up for grabs.

- Don't think that you'll come back and buy it later. There's a good chance that you won't have a second chance.

- If you are not up for multiple trips to your car or something is pretty heavy then ask the vendor if you can keep it there for a while until you can pick it up later. If you leave something at a swap space, swap phone numbers.

- A JS is too heavy to carry around. Been there done that. Won't do it again. Leave it at a friend's swap space or in your car. Or photocopy the pages of the part(s) that you will be looking for.

- Have a flashlight. A tape measure. Gloves. A notebook. Your card if you have some.

- Tell folks what you are looking for. They might have it at home or know someone who has what you need.

- A swap meet where you don't buy a thing might be the most successful one in your life. If you find out who does what; how to do that; or someone telling you 'what I found out...' then you might have saved yourself some headaches and possibly some money.

- Though I don't hear as well as I used to, I do love walking around a swap meet and just listen to the laughter and a good story or two. Just don't feel that you have to listen to a guy tell you about every car that he has ever owned.

No matter what the swap space is selling (Mopar, Corvette, Dodge, etc.) look for at least one Model A part in the swap space. If there is one, spend your time looking through the space. I have bought some amazing Model A parts at a non-Model A space.

Can't go to Luray but will be at Oshkosh in less than a month.

- (Tongue in cheek) Now remember all this fancy swap meet etiquette when you are at my swap space in Oshkosh. I want everyone to smile, bring too much money and give me a healthy tip!

- (Seriously) At Oshkosh I will be helping a friend sell a family collection of great parts. Personally I can't wait to see what he hauls out of the trailer.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:31 PM   #41
redmodelt

No matter what the swap space is selling (Mopar, Corvette, Dodge, etc.) look for at least one Model A part in the swap space. If there is one, spend your time looking through the space. I have bought some amazing Model A parts at a non-Model A space.

Yes I have found some good buys at those non Ford hot rod booths.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:00 AM   #42
Wick

What were you thinking? That's my response to anyone who ask for a lower price.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #43
Oldbluoval

Just a sidebar...
There’s a guy on eBay that won’t sell to me.
I did a “buy it now” purchase and he rejected it !
Said I had tried to beat him down in the past and he’d never sell to me!
I had never bought or communicated before in my life! Tried to tell him that and he was certain! There are lots of a**holes out there but he’s certain I’m one of them!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #44
Gary Karr

I have actually found some of my best purchases at non-Model A vendors. Several years ago at Hershey, I was scouring the Red field and came upon a vendor selling beautifully restored early car brass lights. I stopped to look and noticed an original bakelite terminal box cover. That got my attention. I kept looking and on a back table, I saw a pink and blue box with the Ford logo. I opened it up to find lower radiator hoses, enough for 8 cars. I asked the seller "how much for the box of hoses?" He remarked "them's are new old stock." I said, I know. I got them for $20 and the terminal box cover for $5!
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:08 PM   #45
alexiskai

Greetings from Luray, where an ATM truck is available for anyone suddenly in need of cash.

Probably 75% Model T here. Mr. Terry brought some A speed parts that were fun to look over. I picked up a solid ‘29 radiator apron.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #46
shew01

Default Swap meet etiquette / Luray

My wife and I went to the swap meet today. We saw Brent Terry at a distance. (He was busy with customers.) We saw Wick’s booth, but we didn’t get to meet him. There were lots of T parts and a fair amount of A parts. This was my first swap meet, and it was a worthwhile trip. (Plus, it was a gorgeous drive.) I didn’t really need anything, but it was nice to see what might be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 05-14-2021 at 02:27 PM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #47
shew01

Old 05-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #48
shew01

Old 05-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #49
shew01

Old 05-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #50
shew01

Old 05-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #51
shew01

Old 05-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #52
shew01

Old 05-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #53
Jeff/Illinois

Wow that looks neat. I see you don't have to deal with non - Model A &T stuff piled all over, along with jewelry, doo dads, etc.

Never heard of this swap meet. I'll have to tag it for another time.

I found this...........

https://www.mapwsm.com/
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #54
ronn

as an aside- saw these on CL today and they are in Virginney!

cant beat the price!

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

FS - A set of seats (front and rear) from a 1930 Model A Ford 4DR. Upholstery is rough but the springs are decent.
$50 for both front and rear. Located in Smithfield VA
Old 05-15-2021, 05:42 AM   #55
Wick

I'm already back home. I had something planned already. Big crowds, beautiful weather.
I must have seen 50 people that I knew from clubs in Virginia.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:37 AM   #56
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
I'm already back home. I had something planned already. Big crowds, beautiful weather.

Sorry I missed you.

Old 05-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #57
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Just rolled in myself, -backed the trailer under the shed, and pulled the truck inside the warehouse. I'll unload next week when I recover As Wick said, very well attended and gorgeous weather. A very good swap meet IMO.

As mentioned above, there was a lot of Model-T stuff, but some Model-A and brass-era stuff too. Only a couple brass-era cars there that I saw. Something that took me by surprise was that I was wiped out of restored parts when I arrived on the evening prior. I had mentioned to a couple of people that I was going to have restored brake parts, and I guess I should have taken pre-orders. Note to self and others, advertise your needs prior to going where someone will know to bring that item(s).

Never has this been a pre-sale meet before where items were sold during the previous evening set-up. Also, many potential Buyers walked up asking for something (-or some things) specific, and if you didn't have it, they glanced around and moved on to the next space.

One other thing I noted was this swap meet is really now a one-day meet. Many people (-mostly Buyers but some Sellers) I spoke with were only attending there on Friday. It did seem many people came ready to do business because I saw lots of items being carried around.

Something else that blew me away was that brown Coupe body pictured above was sold around 10:00 on Friday. The guy left a deposit and then drove all the way to Pennsylvania to get the remaining cash and a trailer to haul it home on.

I would definitely recommend this meet for both Buyers & Sellers alike. The size if just right where you don't feel like you are walking your legs off trying to cover it all, -and it is an area where many hobbyist can make the drive in 5 hours or less. There was vendors from 18 states, -with long-distance coming from Palm Beach Gardens, FL.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #58
Ayers1

Went up to Luray today. From the sound of it I should have gone yesterday. Still a fair amount to look at, was hoping to find the proper seats for my tudor. Didn't see them but did get a better headlight bar with lights! Hoping to get back for the next one!
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #59
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Something else that blew me away was that brown Coupe body pictured above was sold around 10:00 on Friday. The guy left a deposit and then drove all the way to Pennsylvania to get the remaining cash and a trailer to haul it home on.

Brett is that Coupe Stone Brown or Chicle Drab/Copra Drab? I always got confused on that color guess I need to buy the new Paint refinishing guide that MAFCA has out

Thanks
Old 05-17-2021, 06:38 AM   #60
jak

Made it to Luray on Sat. Beautiful weather and there were still deal to be found on Model A stuff. I ended up coming home with some goodies which my wife asked do you really need that? My answer was it wasn't that expensive and i don't have that one
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:28 AM   #61
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Made it to Luray on Sat. Beautiful weather and there were still deal to be found on Model A stuff. I ended up coming home with some goodies which my wife asked do you really need that? My answer was it wasn't that expensive and i don't have that one
Missed seeing you Jeff.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #62
mhsprecher

It was a good day. I brought some parts and sold more than I had expected. As to prices, I was looking to clear out some stuff I had, so I was very open to negotiation. I wish I'd sold more, but I was tickled with what I did sell.

Good to see folks out and about. The weather was about perfect.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #63
Mountain Dew

That was a great swap meet. I had good time, made a few purchases, got the tee-shirt. I had no problem getting gas once I got out of eastern NC. I got a room just down the road from the meet. Took in Luray Caverns and their car museum. Stopped by to visit relatives in the Shenandoah Valley. It was really nice to get out after being holed up all winter due to the Corona Virus. I'll be there next year!
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #64
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Took in Luray Caverns and their car museum.
The museum exceeded my expectations. The automobile collection is 25-30 cars from about 1898 - 1932. Two A's and maybe five T's included.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #65
Mountain Dew

Quote:
The museum exceeded my expectations. The automobile collection is 25-30 cars from about 1898 - 1932. Two A's and maybe five T's included.
The cars are in there pretty tight. I would have loved to been able to walk around the individual cars especially the curved dash Olds and the Ford Model "N".
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #66
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
The cars are in there pretty tight. I would have loved to been able to walk around the individual cars especially the curved dash Olds and the Ford Model "N".
Gary, you and Colin both need to put the Old Car Festival on your bucket-lists!! Up there, cars like the Model-N and the C.D.O. are open to up-close viewing without barriers, ...and even being driven around so you can see/hear/smell them being operated.

Other cool cars are riding around like Stanley's, the Quadracycle, the Sweepstakes, The Ford alphabet cars including Model Ks, Rs, Ss, and even a few hundred Model-As and AAs!! It is by far the best car show in the country as far as I'm concerned.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0733.jpg (73.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0841.jpg (113.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0769.jpg (81.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0849.jpg (75.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0896.jpg (67.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0950.jpg (102.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0967.jpg (90.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1021.jpg (86.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0723.jpg (78.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1039.jpg (85.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1409.jpg (66.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1168.jpg (68.0 KB, 18 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #67
Jeff/Illinois

I agree. Old Car Fest up at Greenfield Village, Dearborn, is incredible. The sounds, the smells, the sights. Nothing else like it.

Also, neat to see the antique cars driving around when it starts to get dark out