Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
fivefix

Default Another Body Number Puzzle

Last week I posted images of my recently found body number asking for clarification on the number "I 0419". I have attached the original image here for reference. Identifying Indianapolis as the manufacturing location was easy, but what about body number 0419 for a late 1930 Tudor built at a plant that manufactured 9,960 Tudors in 1930? That mystery may never be solved, but it's time for another.

Tonight we decided to locate the number on my Dad's 1930 Tudor (May engine number and 1929 instrument panel) and we can only get what looks like "8277".

We're hoping a better set of eyes might see something we don't and we're curious what to make of the absence of a manufacturing location stamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor Body Number.jpg (58.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Jenny's Body Number 1.jpg (67.5 KB, 50 views)
fivefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Tudortomnz

Default Re: Another Body Number Puzzle

ok, these body numbers can be somewhat imprecise & after more than 80yrs, tricky to read.
What makes you think the first ''I'' digit is Indiannapolis plant?? My Tudor has a -- between the plant letter & the body number [ F4-17035]. Looks to me like your body # is 10419 & other one is 8277 with no sign in pics of a plant letter? I have seen low body #'s from the Ontario Plant & they did not have a 0 in front, but not to say they do not exist.
Just my opinion, & its good that you are interested in Ford Production.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
fivefix

Default Re: Another Body Number Puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
ok, these body numbers can be somewhat imprecise & after more than 80yrs, tricky to read.
What makes you think the first ''I'' digit is Indiannapolis plant?? My Tudor has a -- between the plant letter & the body number [ F4-17035]. Looks to me like your body # is 10419 & other one is 8277 with no sign in pics of a plant letter? I have seen low body #'s from the Ontario Plant & they did not have a 0 in front, but not to say they do not exist.
Just my opinion, & its good that you are interested in Ford Production.

Hmmm. Good question Tudortomnz. Until now, I thought the location stamp would accompany the body number. What are the chances of 2 Tudors in the family and both are missing the location stamp? Who else out there lacks the location stamp and is it possible to find out the manufacturing origin?
fivefix is offline   Reply With Quote