Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
AL in NY

Default Re: F150 tranny with overdrive

Nice input on the differences between the T-5 and the F150. Too many other modifications to perform just to gain OD. Like you said, if you remove the torque tube, you have to add something to control the acceleration and braking torque of the rear axle.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #22
modelaonly.com

modelaonly.com bolt in kit
modelaonly.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelaonly.com View Post
modelaonly.com bolt in kit
When installing your kit, do you need to shorten the driveshaft, torque tube and radius rods?
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #24
AL in NY

All F150 installs require the torque tube, driveshaft and radius rods to be shorten. In all the three kits mentioned above, those items are included with the kit.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #25
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
Nice input on the differences between the T-5 and the F150. Too many other modifications to perform just to gain OD. Like you said, if you remove the torque tube, you have to add something to control the acceleration and braking torque of the rear axle.
From all I have read here, the Mitchell Overdrive sounds like an easer way to go.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #26
trctrdr

I started gathering parts for the 150 transmission install a while back. I now have a couple of RTS boxs, had a friend with a good machine shop shorten the mainshaft. I shortened the drive shaft and torque tube, today ordered a pair of rear radius rods to get ready to shorten. I also have the rear adapter plate made and a AA bell housing mounted to the front of one of the boxes. Only thing I don't have done is to concoct a throw out bearing.
I'm using a lightened flywheel and a 86 t-bird clutch assy. Anyone know what to do for the T.O. bearing? I understand somehow you mate the rear part of a model A hub to the front of a t-bird T.O. brg. I'd love to see a pic or drawing of this mod.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mark
trctrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #27
CarlG

Get in touch with Jim Parker Toronto on here -- he has completed this exact install.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
Kahuna

Just an FYI for you guys. Al is correct on the Ford F-150's, but Ford also installed a lot of them in the same year vans: E-150, I think is the corect term.
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #29
pick

I have the Ford unit. It's great! I have also driven the S10 T5. I prefer the Ford as it does not require cutting of brake cross shaft & maintains the torque tube. Also the T5 has too low of a 1st gear and only provides over drive in the high teens vs. the Ford's 23 or 28 percnet.
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #30
Jim Parker Toronto

I put the F150 in my new car, with lots of help here, especially Al in NY, and LOVE IT. speeds of 60-65 all day long at 2150 RPM. Gave me 27 Miles per Gallon, Canadian, on a recent 355 mile trip. Sinkromesh (sp) gears all around, and it shifts nice........
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #31
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Dave Delmue makes a drop in kit. No cutting of crossmember,or cutting of brake cross shaft. He uses an AA bellhousing which is shorter. He supplies every part ready to bolt in. I have one and really like it. Available in several overdrive ratios. I have a 23%.

http://modelaonly.com/home
I'm sure Dave makes a good kit, I just wish he'd ship me the one I paid for 9 months ago.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #32
Jim Parker Toronto

[ 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM ] This is the date on ModelAOnly's last post. Did I not read somewhere that you got your money back CarlG???
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #33
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
[ 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM ] This is the date on ModelAOnly's last post. Did I not read somewhere that you got your money back CarlG???
No tranny, no money, and now his web site is down. It's not looking good! It's going to take me quite a while to recover (financially and emotionally) from this fiasco.

Last edited by CarlG; 09-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #34
Jordan

All i can say, is if i was given an option of having a model a with an overdrive, verses one without, I would hands down choose the one with the overdrive. They are so much nicer to drive at high speeds, and really just make a whole world of difference in an A. The 4 speed by gary Bernard is the best you can buy. I've never heard of anyone having a problem, and i know he's sold some to people before with the AA housings. You just have to ask if he has any. The 4 speeds are nice because now anyone can drive the car without grinding the gears.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #35
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
[ 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM ] This is the date on ModelAOnly's last post...
Actually, he had 13 posts in March of 2011 -- right before he went missing.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #36
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
All i can say, is if i was given an option of having a model a with an overdrive, verses one without, I would hands down choose the one with the overdrive. They are so much nicer to drive at high speeds, and really just make a whole world of difference in an A. The 4 speed by gary Bernard is the best you can buy. I've never heard of anyone having a problem, and i know he's sold some to people before with the AA housings. You just have to ask if he has any. The 4 speeds are nice because now anyone can drive the car without grinding the gears.
This is the ONE mod I had decided I had to have -- way before I bought my truck. I will get there, I will just have to wait a while longer than I planned on.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #37
bdotson

So what is the diffrence between a standard A and the AA bellhousing? Could one be modified? Could you have one made? Anyone explored these options?
bdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #38
roddyb34

The AA B/H is shorter so the trans is further forward for better stick position ,but it has no pedal mount so this has to be fabricated ,is the clutch fork different to A type ?,i was thinking of doing a 3 speed mustang type trans ,no O/D ,either trans is hard to get in Australia ,Macs in New Zealand make the correct B/H for the conv.with pedal mount and you dont shorten the input shaft,,
roddyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #39
bdotson

OK how much shorter is the bell housing on the AA as compaired to the A? Useing the AA housing would move the trans forward by how much? What is the A bellhousing made from is it Cast iron? Could a new one be made from steel? I am asking because I dont know and am intrested in this conversion. If you have the AA bell housing do you have to shorten the input shaft on the transmission? If so how much do you have to respline the input and remachine the tip for the pilot bushing?
bdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #40
trctrdr

I have the short AA bell housing, although it's not yet installed, it looks like it will only require the pilot be shortened about a half inch.. This transmission has about i 3/16 inch pilot past the spline so I don't think any re-spline is needed. May need to just shorten the spline a little. When I get to that point I'll mount the trans. behind the engine without the clutch assy. to check this.
trctrdr is offline   Reply With Quote