Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #141
Ken Ehrenhofer

Default Re: The Lee Roy Hartung Collection Auction = Chicago

Holy Cow, I am the owner of a Paddy wagon????/School bus!!!!!
You thought I was crazy and now I have removed all doubt. LOL!
Actually my first AA and I am really excited. Already buying parts and hope to someday git er dun!
Actually it is a Union City School bus and was made in Union City Indiana.
Greenfield Village has one just like it and they give rides in it. I am missing the visor and the rear wrap around bumper.
I hope to show pictures soon I got her home on a roll back truck and it was really tall scary driving down the road.
Lee's Faher was acop and he always liked to fix up cars like squad cars so I am sure this was his sense of humor.
The rear wheels are frozen as they were in 10 inches of mud and water most of the time. Soon hope to apply heat and get her rolling. I will keep you posted,
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #142
Neil Wilson

Ken Ehrenhofer,
I was able to extract pictures of some of the trucks on the auction web site. Attached is one of the AA bus/police truck. Is this the AA that you got?

Is it the 157" wheel base? Does it have a Union City id plate that you found?

I have the other six picture from the auction site which I will email you if you want. Just send an email to [email protected] if you want them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA School Bus 2.jpg (89.3 KB, 75 views)
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #143
WTSHNN

There is a great video slideshow of pictures that were taken from Leroy's personal photoalbum that was shown on the screens during the preview days of the auction. I see it is now posted on the auctions america website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vZY2IMRjq-g

The pair of license plates I bought are actually visible in one of the pictures, a pair of yellow 1915 IL plates shown at around the 4:35 mark. Shows a lot of the old cars and stuff that Leroy had or the condition in which he found them. Some neat old pics of A's and AA's too.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #144
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
I hope to show pictures soon
Ken

The roof on the passenger side broke so the 4x4's are there to hold the roof up.

Anyone know what the thin minors on all the posts between the windows are for? They (or remnants of) were present between every window.

(see how the red light says "STOP"?)

There you go Ken! Good seeing you at the auction, sorry I wasn't around when the cars crossed the block, would have been exciting to see this truck go!

-Tim
Old 11-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #145
WTSHNN

Oh, and here is a picture of the restored AA bus at Greenfield Village.

It was evidently being worked on this past winter/spring.

This bus appears to have the mirrors on the interior window posts. Also notice the "window" on the lower part of the passenger door to allow the driver to see down.

-Tim
Old 11-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #146
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

We have already started the restoration, The battery cover is ready!!!!!......

Slow and steady and it is going to be great!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #147
Ken Ehrenhofer

Thanks Tim, It was exciting with a lot of friends cheering when the gavel went down! I never did anything like this before, auction and all, so I was pretty nervous!
Yes the bus in Greenfield Village is exactly the same. That is the visor we need and also the rear bumper altho I have two rear bumper brackets that do not look the same as the ones pictured. Mine are shorter ?????? also I need to see what the seats look like???? We do not have any!
One of many on the long list of questions. My inspiration is to go to a National Meet and go driving around with a bunch of people in the bus! Thsi will be really fun!
Ken
Old 11-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #148
Ken Ehrenhofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
Ken Ehrenhofer,
I was able to extract pictures of some of the trucks on the auction web site. Attached is one of the AA bus/police truck. Is this the AA that you got?

Is it the 157" wheel base? Does it have a Union City id plate that you found?

I have the other six picture from the auction site which I will email you if you want. Just send an email to [email protected] if you want them.
Hi Neil,
Yes this is the bus (not a paddy wagon) I have found out that Lee's father was a police man and that must be why he had such a penchant to dress up like a cop. He also dressed up this bus.
It is a Union city bus and I do not know where to look for a ID plate??
Where is it??? yes 157" wheel base. I have a friends AA fire truck 131 wheelbase in the barn and I thought it looked big until we off loaded this bus and now it looks really small. I willsend you an e-mail for the pictures
Thank you,
Ken
Old 11-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #149
Ken Ehrenhofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
Oh, and here is a picture of the restored AA bus at Greenfield Village.

It was evidently being worked on this past winter/spring.

This bus appears to have the mirrors on the interior window posts. Also notice the "window" on the lower part of the passenger door to allow the driver to see down.

-Tim
I do not have the mirors either interesting.....mmmmmm I do have the window it was blocked bythe police bell mounted on the door. I removed it for the trip home as I was afraid of the weight on the door causing damage. How did you get this repair photo?? I need to amke atrip to the village this winter. Always a great trip and I will need to get into the shop area to measure the seats and all.
Ken
Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #150
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
How did you get this repair photo??
Ken
Google image search for "Greenfield Village AA"

-Tim
Old 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #151
forddaughter

my dad Frank was a close friend of Lee's for years. always trying to get parts for his 40 and wanting stuff Lee didn't want to part with. He was a really neat guy to talk to and I am sure there is a lot of pickin going on in heaven between the two of them.

Ken bring that paddy wagon out to the Rolling Meadows cruisers show when you have her done... I'll be watching for it
forddaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #152
1931 flamingo

That's an interestin "valve" for the gas on the indented firewall??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #153
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
That's an interestin "valve" for the gas on the indented firewall??
Paul in CT
I wonder in they know it's turned wrong? Maybe they just tightened it to where it felt tight and figured that's how it should be.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #154
Neil Wilson

Ken,
Sorry, I don't know where or if there is a Union City data plate. Other buses I have seen have had the Wayne body. My understanding is that the Ford sold bus was on an AA157 chassis and was manufactured by Union City. So, at some point I would like to do an article for the Double A'er newsletter on this Ford identified 330-A body type. I don't know what the Union City body type was.

BTW - If you have high resolution copies of the Greenfield Village photos you posted, then please send them when you email me.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #155
Ken Ehrenhofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddaughter View Post
my dad Frank was a close friend of Lee's for years. always trying to get parts for his 40 and wanting stuff Lee didn't want to part with. He was a really neat guy to talk to and I am sure there is a lot of pickin going on in heaven between the two of them.

Ken bring that paddy wagon out to the Rolling Meadows cruisers show when you have her done... I'll be watching for it

Please come out to my barn to see us in action working on it?????
Friday night is Pizza night in the barn if you have time. I also met Lee in 1963 so I go back a long way with him. What a character and I am really glad to have the bus WOW!
Ken
Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #156
Ken Ehrenhofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
Ken,
Sorry, I don't know where or if there is a Union City data plate. Other buses I have seen have had the Wayne body. My understanding is that the Ford sold bus was on an AA157 chassis and was manufactured by Union City. So, at some point I would like to do an article for the Double A'er newsletter on this Ford identified 330-A body type. I don't know what the Union City body type was.

BTW - If you have high resolution copies of the Greenfield Village photos you posted, then please send them when you email me.
Hi Neil,
I took a pretty good look and cannot find a Union City tag anywhere. I do see the interior widow trim is woodgrained and there is a mirror between each window. I cannot imagine them wood graing a school bus???? So was this another kind of bus???? maybe a motor coach of some kind with flashy interior (woodgrain) So many questions and so few answers but the search is already great fun. Pieces of headliner still inside. First task is to wash the bus and do a video recording of the whole thing and all the details and then lot and lots of stiill photos. Altho I need to free up the rusted brakes and get it rolling so I can get it outside to wash and take pictures. Right now I know I need a visor, rear bumper, side view mirrors, seats, and lots of money to do this restoration, So far the wife is happy and so am I as I do not think it has sunk in yet. I would love to do an article on the bus so lets talk,
Ken
Old 11-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #157
JBR

I'm curious, what are you going to do with the police alarm that was on the door?
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #158
Roger1927

Amazing
Thanks for the links
Roger
Roger1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #159
Neil Wilson

Ken,
I know little about the 330-A. But, according to the "Ford Trucks Since 1905" there were both a school and passenger bus. The original was a school bus. The raised roof (like yours) was a modification to allow it to become a passenger bus.

Yea, doing an article would be great as I don't know of any other information out there. Be sure to send me an email to [email protected]
Old 11-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #160
forddaughter

thanks Ken I may have to do that--after I'm done down here in FL trying to get rid of all my dad's junk. (most of it's junk---he was like Lee, but collected stuff that didn't make sense to anyone but him. old chains, buckets of nails, all his old bricklaying stuff) Lee was a character alright!

in the meantime i have to figure out best prices for a small IL plate collection. I have 56, 57, 58 sets of two for one number, a set of 1940 in beautiful condition, 29 in also beautiful condition, a set of 57 in semi good condition, and 6 other random singles from 56-60, a stray semi good 1976 bicentennial and then a collector set of two 1976 USA plates----I need to find prices, but have been having trouble finding them.
forddaughter is offline   Reply With Quote