Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #81
Skeezixx

Default Re: What is your collector car Pet Peeve?

[QUOTE=31 Woody;704160]I took the woody to the grocery store several months ago-- as I was getting in to head home, a lady asked me "where did you get it...did you rent it?" [QUOTE]

A young man I know seeing me tool around in my 58 MGA seriously asked me to rent it to him for one weekend (he wanted to impress a girl or some such). I explained to him that even if my insurance allowed it I wouldn't because it would take too long for me to teach him how to start/drive it.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #82
59mgaguy

Skeezixx,

You first have to show them how to open the doors. I get a kick of how they look at the boot. Then ask how do you lock the truck or open it.???
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #83
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I totally agree, and hate to see modern wheels on an otherwise good old car. It's hard to find any car from the 40's, 50's, or 60's that still has the original wheels and hub caps.
THIS is what annoys me the most, every aspect of the car down to the engine colors is correct (or at least looks of that era) then they throw some cheap american racing rims on it. its like did you run outa money to properly buy/restore the wheels??? most rims of those eras are being reproduced same with the hubcaps...

I too like seeing completely stock cars especially when you can hear them run as they are surprisingly quiet.

I do open the hood on my chevette at cruise ins as the hood paint is not pretty to look at and not that many people remember/know they were rwd.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #84
Tinbasher

People that have forgotten that it's about having some fun with a old car. I remember being 12 years old and getting a old VW Beetle running and driving that I had bought for $12.00. A whole summer of cutting lawns, gathering pop bottles and what ever else I could do it raise the money. That was the first and the best day of Old CARS.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #85
Mendotaman

1. In the advert, "needs restored" "needs rebuilt" "needs repaint" etc. (I know, it's a grammar problem... but really!)
2. Bright red or bright blue velour. (don't brothels look like that?)
3. "Cars" for sale (especially in the snowy mid-west) that are obviously a rusted out body set on top of a tired old frame.
Mendotaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #86
Skeezixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59mgaguy View Post
Skeezixx,

You first have to show them how to open the doors. I get a kick of how they look at the boot. Then ask how do you lock the truck or open it.???
I was feeling lazy so took the MGA to an oil change place to have the chassis lubed once and the guy was in a big hurry. "Gimmie the keys" "But....." "Gimmie the keys"

So, I did. I told the girl behind the counter "I bet he can't start it.

So we both watched through the window. Getting in was no problem for this guy, as the top was down he just stepped over the door and squeezed his prodigious bulk behind the 17" wheel, turned the key and looked puzzled. After about ten minutes watching him touch everything on the dash including the horn (much to the delight of the girl), I said I can't take too much more of this.

I walked up to him and casually said "Try pulling the knob marked S." He did and it roared to life. I followed him into the bay and opened the door for him to get out.

I stayed put to show him where all the grease fittings were and to make sure he didn't fill the zerk fittings on the steering rack with grease.

The entertainment value of that experience exceeded the price of the lube job.

Another time I wanted my battery tested so I took it to a battery shop. When the guy said "Open the hood" I did muttering "Ok but I don't know why."

He looked around the engine bay and angrily said "Get this thing outta here mister."

So I did.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #87
ctvpa

When I am asked how fast my model A will go, I say (with a straight face)
"Well I've had it up to almost to 100mph, of course that was on a steep downhill, and I was scared to near death."
I pause and then say "Look at the drivers seat, you will see the brown stain"
Most people will look before they realize what I have done.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #88
Sixseven

Them: "Hey, can I take it for a quick spin with my wife? She would really love it."

Me: "naw, I'll do it, what time do you need her back tomorrow?"
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #89
1967 Ford

1)Improper use of the word "mint". A restored car for example is not mint. It may be as good as new. But something is only mint once. Kind of like virginity- once you lose it, it does not come back.
2) Sellers that make their car sound like #1 condition over the phone but when you get there it is a #4 at best.
3)Use of the phrase by sellers "Must see to appreciate" Every time I have heard that the only thing I could appreciate was what a piece of junk it was.
4)Seller's use of the description "triple black" or other pretentious phrases to describe the color or attribute of a vehicle for sale. All that seems to mean is that the vehicle is over-priced.

Last edited by 1967 Ford; 01-07-2014 at 08:02 PM.
1967 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #90
Jim Huseby

Calling a phaeton, or any body for that matter, a "Phantom". I placed this ad in fordbarn a few years ago: For sale- 1930 Model A phantom, pristine condition, last ran when driven into barn, original owner bought it new, very valuable, all original down to the bucket seats, should run. Minor rust. Sorry, no pics. A bargain at $30,000.00 firm. Several people posted comments that I must be a scammer, but no one got the joke.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #91
gweilbaker

This one is for Mr. Daut," Doctor's coupe"
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #92
Growley bear

Ran when parked--Restoration 90 percent complete.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #93
whirnot

Anyone that thinks they should tell me what to do with MY CAR! Such as put an alternator on it, take the whitewalls off, have it painted the "correct" color, put an original black top on it................

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #94
whizzernick

BILLEIDIOT
webster definition: A person or persons who like or uses or must have CNC machined parts on their car
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #95
Fordors

The worst thing for me are collectors who know nothing about their car. "Buy it and buff it."
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #96
Tom Wesenberg

People who mistreat their antique cars. This can be anything from improper maintenance to hot rodding it.

Also the idea that each antique car destroyed raises the value of those left. Keep the value low, I'd rather there be more antique cars.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #97
dumb person

[QUOTE=Skeezixx;704321][QUOTE=31 Woody;704160]I took the woody to the grocery store several months ago-- as I was getting in to head home, a lady asked me "where did you get it...did you rent it?"
Quote:

A young man I know seeing me tool around in my 58 MGA seriously asked me to rent it to him for one weekend (he wanted to impress a girl or some such). I explained to him that even if my insurance allowed it I wouldn't because it would take too long for me to teach him how to start/drive it.
May i rent it to impress a... wait i have driven british cars before it is really easy.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #98
Russ/40

Dishonest adds on for sale cars. I once drove 100 miles to check out a model "A" and the add said "drive it home". It was a rusty old chassis with half the sheet metal, and an engine block with no accessories or even a head, with deeply rusted bores that had seen the elements for eons. It was a remote mountain drive and the end of 10 miles of dirt road. When I questioned his drive it home add, he acted insulted, went into a tirade, and told me to never come back. He added to that, he would refuse to sell me any anything.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #99
Mikeinnj

No peeves , I just enjoy the hobby, otherwise I would take up another interest.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #100
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Dishonest adds on for sale cars. I once drove 100 miles to check out a model "A" and the add said "drive it home". It was a rusty old chassis with half the sheet metal, and an engine block with no accessories or even a head, with deeply rusted bores that had seen the elements for eons. It was a remote mountain drive and the end of 10 miles of dirt road. When I questioned his drive it home add, he acted insulted, went into a tirade, and told me to never come back. He added to that, he would refuse to sell me any anything.
He obviously wasn't in the real world mentally, because he thought he was driving a car without a head on the engine. There is probably a good reason that he lives at the end of a ten mile dirt road.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote