Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
KGBnut

Default Patching Inner Tubes

I got a flat on my motorcycle the other day. I picked up a roofing nail. I put in a new tube, but I am confident that the puncture is so tiny that tube is salvageable. I haven't patched an inner tube since I was a kid and the tube was in a bicycle.

I searched YouTube for the best misinformation I could find, but then I thought I would check with the experts, the Model A drivers.

Which are the better kits? I know that patch should have rounded corners, and tapered edges are preferred. Some things I read talked about "stitching," but I couldn't get a clear answer on how that is done.

What advice do you guys have? Any videos that are good and complete?

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Old 10-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Patching Inner Tubes

I could only find a patching kit at my local bicycle shop. But methods haven’t changed much, except you don’t have to heat patch now because the glues are better.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
wmarcy528

I patched my inner tube on my Model A yesterday. First I looked on Amazon where patches are now called “skabs” derived from the biking world terminology. They’re round and small, probably for bike tires. I ended up buying a small kit at Walmart for $1.96. With 6 preglued patches and a scraper to ruff up the inner tube . Worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wmarcy528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
McMimmcs

Walmart and TSC both have kits. Like riding a bicycle nothing has changed.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
Synchro909

If you're going to glue on a patch (the only way these days), there are two often overlooked and important things to bear in mind. Firstly, rough up the tube well where the glue will go and second, make sue the glue is new. It has a shelf life of only about 6 months. When you apply the patch, use a roller to make sure it is pressed had against the tube and leave no air underneath it.
Once applied properly, these patches are as good as the original tube, IMO.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:57 AM   #6
Reds34

I've done a little research a few years ago. I found that you can use a tube to patch a tube. I have patched a tube for a trailer that has wide 5 rims that was pretty bad. It had a bunch of cracks in probably a quarter of the tube. I used a tube to patch that tube and it's been holding for over 5 years now. I just used the trailer this weekend, and didn't add any air-and I haven't used it in over 5 years. Now, I cleaned both pieces of rubber with Acetone and used rubber cement from the auto parts store and roughened up the surface with a tube rasp. When I cut the patch out of the tube, I rounded the corners and used a "vulcanizer" clamp to clamp the patch to the tube.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
Ray64

anyone know if hot patches are avalable? I still got a few but would love to find a few more TNX
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #8
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray64 View Post
anyone know if hot patches are avalable? I still got a few but would love to find a few more TNX
Are you expecting a large amount of flat tires?
Old 10-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
old31

I pinched a tube on my 19" tube while replacing my tire. Went to Wallmart bought a bicycle repair kit and repaired it. That was 3,000 miles ago.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
katy

Quote:
I found that you can use a tube to patch a tube.
Ditto, learnt that a long time ago, in Mexico.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
Lona

I don't think today's glue patches hold a candle to the old hot patches......the ones with metal shells you clamped tightly over the hole in the tire and then lit a match to ignite the sulfur type material in the shell which would vulcanize the patch to the tire. It produced quite a bit of acrid smoke as it burned.

To my understanding, they were outlawed years ago because of pollution.....Our fine government at work protecting us again.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #12
[email protected]

I always roughed up the patch area on the tube with the cheese grater cap of the patch kit and then poured on some rubber cement glue to the area to be patched. Then I would then light the glue up and burn off all of the glue before applying the patch. A clean and hot area always made a good patch!!!!
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #13
updraught

Glues have come a long way. Buildings are held together with it. Car bodies are glued together.
I know a guy that travels to remote areas and sometimes needs to rebuild tyres from bits by glueing them together.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #14
Synchro909

Those "hot patches" have gone out of favour because they don't work on a synthetic tube, which they all are these days. They world very very well on rubber tubes but not appropriate for synthetic. As Updraught says, glues have come a long way.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
Hitman

Tubes are so cheap, I'd rather have the peace of mind with a new tube. Especially on a motorcycle!
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #16
w.michael

I pinched one of my new tubes this weekend while trying to install it. I was told that one of the old tire shops close by still used hot patches, so I took the tube to them. Turns out, they do not use hot patches, and told me hot patches are no longer available.

But I let them patch the tube for me. They cleaned it well with a solvent, applied glue liberally when the solvent dried, and used a roller to press the patch well onto the tube. They did not rough up the tube, but I think the solvent took the place of that.

Anyway, it looked like a better job than I would have done with the patch kit I had purchased at Advance Auto. I installed it, and it is holding air, at least for now. I'll know more in a few weeks when I check it again.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #17
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
I got a flat on my motorcycle the other day. I picked up a roofing nail. I put in a new tube, but I am confident that the puncture is so tiny that tube is salvageable. I haven't patched an inner tube since I was a kid and the tube was in a bicycle.

I searched YouTube for the best misinformation I could find, but then I thought I would check with the experts, the Model A drivers.

Which are the better kits? I know that patch should have rounded corners, and tapered edges are preferred. Some things I read talked about "stitching," but I couldn't get a clear answer on how that is done.

What advice do you guys have? Any videos that are good and complete?

Thanks in advance!

Ken

"stitching" is using a narrow serrated roller to press down the patch for better adhesion. No needle and thread involved!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #18
McMimmcs

[QUOTE=w.michael;1943637]I pinched one of my new tubes this weekend while trying to install it. I was told that one of the old tire shops close by still used hot patches, so I took the tube to them. Turns out, they do not use hot patches, and told me hot patches are no longer available.

But I let them patch the tube for me. They cleaned it well with a solvent, applied glue liberally when the solvent dried, and used a roller to press the patch well onto the tube. They did not rough up the tube, but I think the solvent took the place of that.

Anyway, it looked like a better job than I would have done with the patch kit I had purchased at Advance Auto. I installed it, and it is holding air, at least for now. I'll know more in a few weeks when I check it again.

Make it your spare!
Old 10-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #19
katy

Make it your spare! [/QUOTE]

Just a reminder to store spare tubes inflated, not folded flat on a shelf.

Don't be asking how I know!
Old 10-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #20
DHZIEMAN

NAPA has a kit for under $3.00. Part #: BK 7101090 made by Belkamp
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote