Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
KiWinUS

Default Schramm air compressor

I just drug home a Schramm air compressor , anyone know where I could get head gaskets & carb kit for it ? or a book or owners manual ?
Thanks
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Schramm air compressor

Give us a clue - what sort of carb does it have on it? Anything could have been fitted over the years.

Is there any reason the stock type gaskets won't work?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
john hamilton

What kind of engine is it? Usually if it's a V8 one bank is stock and runs and other is an air compressor which may use a stock gasket too.

It's always worthwhile to gather all information from plates or decals on a system then go to the manufacturer. Call them first. When I was working on my Hobart welder the Miller company (Which bought Hobart) directed me to their web page which had a forum like this one. I got all the answers and some parts.
john hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
KiWinUS

its a zenith carb & I believe its the original carb
It has a 59ab engine it uses the middle 2 cylinders on one side & the end 2 on the other side for an engine & the opposite . this is in really nice condition other than sitting & the great guy I bought it off took the heads off to see how it worked & 1 stud is stripped & he torqued them to 65lb , so I thought I would take them off , intall new gaskets & a stud , rebuild the carb & start her up .
Thanks again !!!
Cheers
Tony
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
G.M.

Schramm used several engines but most were early Ford V/8s. I have known Dick Schramm for 50 years and he let me go up in the "attic" to look for parts when I restored a 39 Schramm compressor. They threw out dumpster loads of brand new Ford blocks and engine parts years ago. The only thing they have is a list of serial numbers and the dates they were manufactured. The only thing I found was 6 industrial fan blades. The parts manager gave me a stack of parts manuals about 12"s high. I took the few out I was interested in. Some were on a compressor with two V/8 engines. Dick told me he gave all the old blue prints and drawings to the Chester County Historical Society so I dropped the parts cataloges off to them. I heard something about he wasn't happy about the way they handling the material and got it back. I talked to Jerry Windle of the EFV8 club years ago and he was interested in it. Shramms Western sales manager, Frank McBride took a lot of parts to Texas and was selling them for years. He operated under lena's Warehouse. I called him for a head gasket which are differant from Ford gaskets and he said he would punch one out by hand from gasket material but I didn't want some home made gasket, I could do that myself. I believe Frank was in Ft Worth, Tx and the phone number I have is 1-817-370-2039. G.M.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
G.M.

They used all the early flatheads. My 39 compressure by Schramms serial numbers had a 37 engine and the pressure tank was date stamped 1937. Dick said his father told him after the depression there was a mini depression in 39 and they used whatever parts they had on hand. G.M.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
G.M.

I just Googled Lenas Warehouse and they are still in Ft Worth with the same phone number. They probly have some parts?? G.M.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
Gary in La.

I had a Schramm years ago and it had a '39 V-8 in it. Also had the side panels which are very rare.
The head gasket P/N's are R/H FUB-214-RA and L/H FUB-214-LA.
Finding them or any parts for that matter will be very difficult. Most had been scrapped by the factory and the rest went to Frank McBride in Fort Worth. Not sure if he is still living or where the parts arenow if he had any left. The last contact phone I have is 817-370-2039
The carb is usually a Zenith TU-4
Many parts on these are pretty well Schramm specific with their P/N's.
Hope this helps.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Al K.

Hi, Check my avatar. That is where I got my 59AB. I have a manual somewhere and can try to find it if you have no luck elsewhere. If you are looking for the compressor parts, I may be willing to sell off what I have. Al K.
Al K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Al K.

This must be your luck day. Go play the lotto. I found the manual in the first place I looked. Send me a PM with your address and I will copy it at work. Don't tell anyone. It's 80 double sided pages. I forget a lot of stuff, so if you don't hear from me soon, just PM me again and nudge me. I'll wake up and get back on it. Al K.
Al K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
KiWinUS

YESSSSSSSSSS so awesome
"THANK YOU" !!!
& I have already purchased A lottery tic for tonight !!
Thanks !
Thanks also to GM for all the great help & to Gary also for his info . mine also has the side boxes .
I still have it in my enclosed trailer , but when i do unload it I will take pice & post them.
Al K again thanks so much !!!
PM sent
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Gary in La.

Send me the serial number when you get it out of the trailer and I can maybe give you the date it was built. I have a pretty complete factory S/N list.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
Mike in AZ

ahhh, more fun for you, eh, Tony??....Cheers....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
1932 V8

I have a Schramm air compressor I got from a good friend last year . It is in ok non running shape . I will post a pic when I have a moment. It has a 37 engine on it . They are pretty neat deals in my opinion . It's on my todo list
1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
Jim A

Good Morning,

Some Schramm information, Frank Mcbride passed away in 2006, Then Sam Hardgrove (Franks neighbor) took over the business till 2011. I took over from Sam and have the business today.

KiWinUS, I have manuals and head gaskets for this compressor, I have other parts on hand, just depends on what all you need.

Jim Arras
419 722 0774
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
funrunr

Wow KiWinUS, this has got to be a very lucky day for you. all this info within 24 hrs. You didn't even have to leave your PC or website for that matter.fordbarners are some good people and you must have good carma. This was a fun one to read.
(Did you check your lottery numbers LOL)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
G.M.

For those that don't know Schramm still manufactures drilling rigs. They also made screw type air compressors about 30 years ago. Dick told me it was a German designed unit and they were having a lot of problems with them. I don't see them listed in their list of products so I guess they dropped them. Another company located in West Chester, Pa. , Lasko Metal Products that makes the fans for WalMarts had a Schramm 4 or 6 cylinder automotive straight engine driven by a large electric motor that made air for the entire factory. This compressor ran for years with very few problems. G.M.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
Jim A

G.M.

I know they made screw compressors, have some information on them in a file- will have to look that up. There are still a lot of Schramm Compressors being ran in industrial settings today. I have 3 myself, a WD-50, that is made out of a Wisconsin for my shop air, a 160 Pneumatractor, and a Fordair 60 crawler.

You mentioned the 2 V-8 compressor, you have a manual on this? I know they made them, have seen a couple pictures, but have no information on this.

Jim
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #19
G.M.

Jim I think I kept a manual on the dual engine modle. It is in Pa. and I'm in Florida and won't be back up there until late June. Since your into Schramms more then I am you can have it. Emal me [email protected] . You could call Dick Shramm to find out if he has the manuals I gave to the Chester County Historical Society or if they still have them. I think I called them for a copy and they said Dick wasn't happy with the way they were handling the info and got it all back.They are both located in West Chester, Pa. There were several manuals on a few differant dual engine types if I recall. The CCHS will make copies if they have them. G.M.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
48coe

Contact Gerry Markham. he's in Rochester, N.Y. 585-235-1262. He is very knowledgeable on stationary engines, and is one of the best flathead mechanics in the country.
48coe is offline   Reply With Quote