Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
slowspoke

Default Bent Fuel Pump Push Rod

Hey Folks - What would cause a 90-degree bend in the rod? It was found laying in the valley of the block. Looking for advice to ensure this issue wont come up again when the motor is fully rebuilt.

Background: Craigslist bought motor so who really knows the history... The gentleman indicated it was pulled from an F1 when it started 'running rough'. To the naked eye everything is looking pretty up for this old worn out motor aside from two frozen valves and an excessive amount of oil sludge. The one drastically out of place piece I've observed was this fuel pump push rod that has a 90 degree bend in it... There is a kink about 1/4 of the way up and a 90-degree bend in the middle of the rod. The bottom 1/4 of the rod appears pretty clean (probably sat inside the camshaft guide) top 3/4 covered in buildup. I suspect the reason the rod was laying in the valley is because the manifold was previously removed (one bolt was extracted).

I'm of the impression this bend was man made (disgruntled owner trying to pull it out). Either way I'd like to try and solve this mystery to ensure I'm fully comprehensive in the rebuild. Any suggestions to ensure a rebuild doesnt result in another bent rod would be appreciated.
slowspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Bent Fuel Pump Push Rod

As the motor is an unknown entity to you, it is hard to say. I can say I accidentally bent one once by forgetting to take it out and rolling the block over. That may have happened to yours. I can't think of any scenario in normal usage that would cause a 90 deg bend as you describe.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
Brian

Yeah, I agree with Mart, someone has rolled the block over and bent that rod.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
slowspoke

I guess I'm confused by the term rolling a block over. Id appreciate some clarification so I don't do it. thanks for the reply!
slowspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowspoke View Post
I guess I'm confused by the term rolling a block over. Id appreciate some clarification so I don't do it. thanks for the reply!
With engine sitting on floor you pull the heads and intake, then roll the block over to pull the pan. halfway over, the pump rod starts to slide out. Oops! Do you try to save the rod, or your foot?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote