Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
RalphG

Default First Spring Drive in The Merc

I had to get the 52 Merc over to the workshop so naturally I had to take it for a run down the driveway to warm up the engine a bit. Running great as ever. Test fit of the 53 fender on it looks like a good fit. Now I just need to weld some good steel on the lower left body corner for the fender mount. Did I mention I bought a Lincoln mig welder? Video to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53 fender test (1 of 1).jpg (97.9 KB, 50 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: First Spring Drive in The Merc

wow thats good news you bought a mig welder ! you will never regret it. i hope its not one of those 110 girl welders!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
FortyNiner

I always appreciate hearing your updates. Thanks, Ralph.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
RalphG

Its a pretty good Lincoln model 180 I believe. I'm using flux core wire for now until I decide if I want to go with the gas shielding. It worked pretty well today welding on a new body corner to attach the fender to. I figured for an amateur I did ok. It can only get better. Took this pic at the end of the day. Naturally I had to do a test drive with the test fender. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 Merc Apr 23 (1 of 1).jpg (84.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Tinker

Great pictures again Ralph!

I think you will be much happier with some bottle gas. Pick up some .025 wire for sheet metal. I haven't replaced my wire yet .035, but the "easy grind" wire seems to be pretty neat, soft. Grinds like tig welds (supposedly).

Whatever works for you. Ran the 38 today, straight in to summer here. Look forward to your updates and great videos.

btw: The Lincoln you bought is a very good welder. I won't get in to a miller/lincoln debate , I love my Lincoln. One thing to watch on migs is the gun liners. They get gummmed up. I just replaced mine and it made it run like new (fairly cheap to do). Liners, tips and wire are all expendables.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-23-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #6
cas3

sounds good ralph, i gotta agree with tinker, get a gas bottle, co2/argon mix. straight co2 is cheaper, but messy with more splatter. get the good stuff. never heard of "easy grind " wire, i'll have to check into that
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Tinker

Non-structural welds (just body panels), would like to try it anyway for sheet metal.

There are a lot of threads about it, good or bad. Thought about getting a small spool and checking it out.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...mig-wire.5889/

Last edited by Tinker; 04-23-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
51 MERC-CT

"First Spring Drive in The Merc"
Thought this was going to be a tutorial on how to install a wind-up motor.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 04-24-2018 at 06:23 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #9
RalphG

This Lincoln came with two spools of wire. .025 solid core wire and a spool of the flux core wire. Also has the necessary gauge and hose to hook up a gas tank of argon or whatever they recommend. For structural welding like I did today I think flux core is fine since nobody will see it and I'll just grind it smooth. For fender surface replacement I might need something with less slag deposit on the weld. Got some video coming up of the weld but not uploaded yet. This one is from a couple of days ago.
https://youtu.be/SxiRw_sgg68
Old 04-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #10
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
This Lincoln came with two spools of wire. .025 solid core wire and a spool of the flux core wire. Also has the necessary gauge and hose to hook up a gas tank of argon or whatever they recommend. For structural welding like I did today I think flux core is fine since nobody will see it and I'll just grind it smooth. For fender surface replacement I might need something with less slag deposit on the weld. Got some video coming up of the weld but not uploaded yet. This one is from a couple of days ago.
https://youtu.be/SxiRw_sgg68
Just a tip, if you are doing any welding near window glass or flammable materials, protect the glass from spatter craters. The flammable part should be obvious.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #11
Johnnydidd

Ralph, i sure enjoy your videos, you are a very good craftsman, enjoy your Mercury's very few people can make a part, shape it and weld it in.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #12
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydidd View Post
Ralph, i sure enjoy your videos, you are a very good craftsman, enjoy your Mercury's very few people can make a part, shape it and weld it in.
Thanks for those encouraging words but I know the real craftsmen on this forum will be smiling at my crude efforts. I can cut, bend, shape and weld metal. It will be strong but crude, maybe a bit crooked and certainly not up to show standards. So far most of what I have done will not be visible when the fender is in place so I can get away with it.
I have to say that wire welding surprised me with it's strength. I would not have thought those little spots of weld would become so strong but the piece I welded on the body is as solid, (or more so) than the body was when new. I'm using slightly heavier gauge metal for these patches.
The headlight surround area with it's compound curves is going to be the big challenge and I'm afraid body filler might be my only workable fix on them.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #13
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Just a tip, if you are doing any welding near window glass or flammable materials, protect the glass from spatter craters. The flammable part should be obvious.
Very true but I have no welding to do up near the glass and there is not much (if any) flammable material left in the lower regions of the car. I almost thought I had burned something yesterday. I was pushing the wiring harness that goes through the rocker panel out of the way. Under the tape, there was only one of the four wires still holding and they were all black with the insulation burnt off. I'm guessing it had a major short at some time in the distant past. Probably explains the new wiring that was installed under the floor mats to the tail lights in the 1960s.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #14
Bulligen

I think you are at the same level of welding as the average enthusiast however with practice and patience it is amazing the skills that can be accomplished. The little wire welders are a great tool aren't they? I really enjoy what I can build with it. You are really improving your Merc and that is the main thing. Keep having fun!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:09 PM   #15
RalphG

Got yesterday's starting and driving video edited and uploaded this evening. Looked a little strange driving with a missing front fender.
https://youtu.be/jKc07RWg9Uw
Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 PM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Shielding gas is the only way to go IMO. I tried flux core for about 5 mins once, that was enough for me!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #17
19Fordy

Ralph, Good job. Switch to welding gas and you'll be amazed. If possible, buy your own tank. Cheaper in the long run. Now, get back to work.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #18
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Ralph, Good job. Switch to welding gas and you'll be amazed. If possible, buy your own tank. Cheaper in the long run. Now, get back to work.
I have not checked into prices for gas and tanks yet. I'd like to try it out before spending the money. Just to see if it is really that much better. Video coming up later today to show some of the welding I have done so far. I'm happy with the results of the flux core wire on that job.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #19
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
I have not checked into prices for gas and tanks yet. I'd like to try it out before spending the money. Just to see if it is really that much better. Video coming up later today to show some of the welding I have done so far. I'm happy with the results of the flux core wire on that job.
Considering the spots on the bolt holes at the bottom of the fender and the condition they are in, I would say you have a feel for it.
If you are content with the results you are getting with flux core, stick with it.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:43 PM   #20
rotorwrench

You can buy or rent bottles as a general rule and they generally won't break the bank. Get as large a bottle as you can work with. Straight Argon makes the nice welds but CO2/Argon Mix does OK too. You won't regret using the gas unless you weld outside in the breeze. The gas does no good if the wind blows it away but that's what the flux core is for.

Easy Grind is sort of a trade name. ER70S-6 is available from just about any welding supply. The weld wire with the high numbers makes for a hard joint but its OK if you grind down your welds and don't hammer them too much. The wire has to be hard so as not to break when being fed by a MIG welder system. Too soft a wire will cause feed problems in the small gauges.

The old timers used RG45 rod or bailing wire with their oxy/acetylene rigs so that it would be as soft as you can get. This allows it to be hammered on without work hardening it too much. Those AWS ratings tell you how hard/soft it is and what its made to do. The AWS has a users guide that explains filler metals & electrodes for welding
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote