Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
Rance29

Default using the stock mechanical fuel pump with electric

Im sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but I don't see how to do a search on topic Im just going to ask. I have an early 21 stud v8 with one Stromber 97. Have had vapor locks so wanted to go to electric fuel pump. Is there any reason I can't run my stock pump and a flow through electric pump to toggle on when I have a vapor lock?
Rance29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: using the stock mechanical fuel pump with electric

I do exactly that for starting and possible vaporlock issues.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
Tony, NY

An older thread. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...el+pump+bypass
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
russcc

I do that for the roadster's 59A. Electric pump at the tank in the trunk for priming before startup, and backup. Plumbed from the tank with a shutoff valve, to a filter, through the pump to the mechanical fuel pump on the engine. The 12V Facet fuel pump I use is model #40163 which is self regulating with a pressure range from 1.5-2.5 PSI. These are manufactured in the USA by Purolater in Elmira NY. Available from Aircraft & Spruce, $50. They don't make a 6V model.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Mike Mayer

that has been my set up for at least 10 yrs works very well
Mike Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
51woodie

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Rance. I installed a 6v flow through pump on my '46 Coupe, for the same reason you want to. I only run it if the car has been sitting for a week or so, and rarely after the car has run. There are several suppliers, so just google the P/N shown in the attached picture to source a supplier. If you have a stock + ground, then red goes to ground, and black to power supply. I used a on/off toggle placed under the lower lip of the dash and fuse the circuit. Some will suggest to install and inertia switch to shut the pump off in the event of an accident, but I don't leave the pump on so I didn't install the switch. The piece above the filter in the picture is the inline fuel filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6V Airtex E8902.jpg (54.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 6V Airtex Fuel Pump.jpg (36.5 KB, 107 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:53 AM   #7
Joe Immler

I have had this same set up on my '41 for 10 years. No problems.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #8
petes 50 merc

been on my merc 25 years
petes 50 merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
rockfla

SO, my question would be for ALL above.......IF you are going to install an electric fuel pump......WHY wouldn't you just gut the "original" pump and strictly use the electric pump full time with a pressure regulator???? AND have the "original" for looks only and never have to worry about vapor lock at all????
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:47 PM   #10
slowforty

When the electric one Craps out you can still get home on the stock pump
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #11
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
When the electric one Craps out you can still get home on the stock pump
What forty said.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #12
rockfla

How often does that ever happen??? I wouldn't think much!!! Funny having two fuel pumps for "just encase"!!!! Seems to me finding the issue causing the problem with the original as they worked fine when they were built!!! JMO
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #13
tubman

I agree with this. Maintenance over "band-aids" every time. I am old enough to remember when the last generation of these cars were new. Nobody ever did this sort of thing because it was unnecessary. My dad had a new '51 Olds 88 with the 303 "Rocket" and a 6 volt system. Never remember him having a problem getting it started in the winter, and he traveled year round in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Dakota's. I never heard of "vapor lock" until I got my first well-used flathead in 1959. I installed an electric fuel pump when I first got my '51 over 30 years ago. Over the years a learned about these cars and how they work. I removed the electric pump about 20 years ago and haven't looked back.

(I think it may help a little living in North-Central Minnesota.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:42 PM   #14
GB SISSON

With me, the two pumps is about the fact that my trucks can sit a long time, and so the battery is perhaps a bit weak and then it's crank, crank, crank getting the fuel up to the carb. I like it for priming, but having a backup doesn't hurt anything.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #15
laryh

I installed an AIRTEX E8016S fuel pump in-line with the Offy original type stock fuel pump. It is 12 VT and flow through type. It is switched and very rarely used on my 281 cube dual carb engine. I mainly use it when the car has been sitting for a long time. Works well and is low pressure for the 97s.
laryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:41 PM   #16
Aarongriffey

That was common practice on flathead Cadillacs. I just that on three for one owner.
He said they did pump enough fuel on real steep roads in high mountains.
I also done it by adding a fuel pump up front. I have one car that way.
If my original in the rear craps out I can put a jumper wire on the one in front and continue on.
Some say to just fix the original problem. Sure.
When you’re out in the boonies at night or going through a long tunnel and you main pump quits you’ll wish you’d have done something so you could just reach under the dash and flip a switch.
If I leave my F1 for 3 months the gas in the carb will dry up!
I turn on my ignition, turn one the electric pump until it stops clicking and hit the starter.
Usually stars in about two seconds.
A Ford with original system should never vapor local. unless you add dual exhausts and don’t reroute the gas line away from the left exhaust pipe.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #17
bob from red oak

Excuse my ignorance but are you all saying when running both the electric is inactive until the original pumps fails to provide adequate pressure at which time the electric takes over fully. It is okay to use the original and have the electric fully functional at the same time but the electric does not function fully unless it is needed.
bob from red oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #18
Aarongriffey

You don’t run them both at once.
Leave the electric turned off until it’s needed.
The mechanical pump will keep you going as always, until it quits. Then you turn on the electric pump.
No use wearing out the electric pump when the original is working fine.
After you have left the vehicle sit for several days you can turn on the electric pump before starting to fill the carb and to check the pump.
Then turn it off and let it rest n keep it like new for emergencies.
I often go through a mile long Caldecott tunnel and a couple of bridges that are more than eight miles long each.
I would hate to have my F1, Or any other car, die in one of those places.
I had a Mustang die in the middle of the Bay Bridge about 40 years ago.
It was late morning. The bridge gang towed me to a gas station, I walked a couple miles and bought a fuel pump and some tools. Walked back to the car, installed fuel pump and got home at dark, the end of the day.
Now in each car I have an electric pump, mounted and in the main fuel line, I have spare points and condenser and an extra coil mounted next to the original.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #19
Rance29

Thanks to all you who took the time to respond to my mechanical/electric fuel pump question. My truck was stock (farm truck) the last time I drove it (about 40 years ago) and it vapor locked going up hills on a hot day. I was young then, now I'm not so would like to avoid the problem. I had the engine rebuilt a long time ago and saw on the receipt that they rebuilder reground the cam. I'm not so sure he reground the fuel pump cam. Does anyone know what the correct lift is, measured at the top of the rod for proper fuel pump operation? Again, thanks for your information. Rance
Rance29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #20
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongriffey View Post
You don’t run them both at once.
Leave the electric turned off until it’s needed.
The mechanical pump will keep you going as always, until it quits. Then you turn on the electric pump.
No use wearing out the electric pump when the original is working fine.
After you have left the vehicle sit for several days you can turn on the electric pump before starting to fill the carb and to check the pump.
Then turn it off and let it rest n keep it like new for emergencies.
I often go through a mile long Caldecott tunnel and a couple of bridges that are more than eight miles long each.
I would hate to have my F1, Or any other car, die in one of those places.
I had a Mustang die in the middle of the Bay Bridge about 40 years ago.
It was late morning. The bridge gang towed me to a gas station, I walked a couple miles and bought a fuel pump and some tools. Walked back to the car, installed fuel pump and got home at dark, the end of the day.
Now in each car I have an electric pump, mounted and in the main fuel line, I have spare points and condenser and an extra coil mounted next to the original.
Aaron: Could you post a picture of your extra coil mounted next to the original? Extra points and condenser not functional are they? Just attached "in case". Thanks

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #21
shoe box Jack

Not a good idea to use both. If the stock one quits the full pump could have a split diaphragm and the elec. could fill the oil pan. Jack
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #22
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Aaron: Could you post a picture of your extra coil mounted next to the original? Extra points and condenser not functional are they? Just attached "in case". Thanks

Lawson, lots of guys carry spares. When the Covid 19 hit, I started a larder in the garage for spare canned goods, and as I understand, there is even a large group of guys that keep spare wives also.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #23
deuce_roadster

I second what shoe box jack said. If you are aware of this possibility it can help but the only electric pump I have is on my avatar roadster and it has been pushing fuel just fine for 21 years now. No stock pump in the equation. All my other 4 flathead only use the stock pump.
Back when I was a teen, I put a flathead in my first car, a model A. I figured who needs a fuel pump, when gravity will do the job. Well, after not shutting off the fuel valve the night before, it wouldn't turn over to start. When I looked at different parts of the engine I noticed gas coming out of the dipstick tube. Hmmmm. Shut the valve off, drained the pan, got the crap out of the needle valves of the 2 97s and all was good.
A ruptured diaphragm (while rare) could give you the same problem but while the engine is running and the result could be catastrophic. My MISC album has pictures of a friend's car that the gas tank filler neck was torn off by a chunk of an old tire that blew. Rare event but catastrophic result.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote