Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
Nardo1895

Default Best Way to Sell Model A Collection?

Hi, my father-in-law left us a collection of Model A cars, parts and pieces. It includes one restored coupe (in need of a refresh), along with a pickup, a 1 1/2 ton flatbed, a roadster, and a sedan; all un-restored. Plus lots of assorted parts. I have no idea on the years, or little else about them which leads me to this post.

I don't know what I have to know how to sell it. I figured I could engage an auction house but if Model A's are anything like firearms, they will take about 40% of the sales. I was thinking about having a closed bid auction. I'd advertise for the sale and schedule a few viewing days. I can also photograph and video the collection. After the viewings I'd ask for sealed "winner take all" written bids.

I'm a bit out of touch with the car collector market, but I figured I could advertise in Hemmings and possibly on sites like this one. I was also planning to reach out to the local Model A club he belonged to as well as the national organization if there is one.

Any advise on this approach? If the overall approach is sound, any suggestions on where to advertise? Is there a better way?

I thought at one time I'd like to have the collection, or at least the pickup, but I'm beginning to realize I only have so much time for hobbies and not enough time to add another one.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Mike
Nardo1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Bill in NJ

Default Re: Best Way to Sell Model A Collection?

What state and town do you live in ?
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
zzlegend

X2 what Bill said.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
X2 what Bill said.
This is important to get you with a member here or your local Model A Club.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
redmodelt

Selling as a "lot", might be a hard sell. I would do some checking around on the auction thing, basing a guess at 40% like a gun auction is not the same thing. There are a lot more rules and regulation selling guns. Selling as a lot to sealed bid, you might even take a bigger hit then the suggested 40%. Do any of the cars/trucks have paper work, do you have proof that you have the right to sell? I have seen where cars/parts were being sold in but were still in probate. I would suggest selling the cars/truck one at a time. Do some research, ebay can be a good place. Open the advance window and type in what your selling in the box and click the sold for button, you need to look at what similar cars sold for not what they were listed for. Setting and selling for a realistic price helps. Don't expect a $2-4000 car to sell for the same price as a restored $20000 car. Good luck with your sell.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Nardo1895

The collection is in Angels Camp CA. I live in Clovis CA, about 3 hours south of there.

I'm pretty sure I have the pinks. I know I do for the restored coupe, and I think I do for the rest.

Selling the cars is probably the easy part, selling the parts (and knowing what part goes with which car) is what I dread. Unfortunately, he didn't keep each vehicle intact in some cases. There are various parts spread out in two outbuildings.

Sigh...
Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
hardtimes

Hey Mike,
Model A club members are going to be the best people to help you with evaluation of Model A vehicles. Since you already know that your dad belonged to a club and know which club he belonged to, it would make sense and save a ton of time , to utilize that resource to do what you are seeking to do, i.e.- get knowledgable evaluations and estimates.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
russcochiolo

PM sent
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #9
signsup

Here in GA, it's a 10 percent fee plus a 10 percent buyers premium, so that's 20 percent to the auctioneer. I can't think of one that would come out, inventory, catalogue, and advertise an auction for one lot.
You have to answer one question... what is your ultimate goal in doing this? Many goals compete against each other. You can sell quickly, sell easily, sell for the most money, etc, but they are all trade offs.

If it were me, I'd consider contacting the local A club, Horeless Carriage club, antique car club, car show guys etc. Have them inventory and id all the cars and parts and put together lots that make sense. Have them list the items and sell them and arrainge the transport and shipp. You do nothing. The cars will sell for the optimum amount and these guys will no values. Agree to a percentage to be donated to the club.
If your items are worth, say $25k, the club would get $2,500 for a few weeks of volunteer work. That's a lot of tshirt sales or raffle tickets.
signsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
Railcarmover
BANNED

Take pictures and accept sealed bids..set up a one day viewing after screening the prospects...I wouldn't go the 'local club' route,they have a dog in the hunt. You'll end up with the most dough if you do it yourself,its not rocket science..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Mike,
Model A club members are going to be the best people to help you with evaluation of Model A vehicles. Since you already know that your dad belonged to a club and know which club he belonged to, it would make sense and save a ton of time , to utilize that resource to do what you are seeking to do, i.e.- get knowledgable evaluations and estimates.
agreed - have them come over and see if they can put the puzzle pieces back in the correct cars first - they will be able to pick up a part and tell you what it goes to or at least give a best guess. might ask them once they see it to see hwo to proceed.

im not saying anyone or everyones or any club or individual is a crook but be aware some people will take advantage of you or will try to buy one or two parts at a time when you really want to sell everything. you could spend years trying to sell this stuff a piece at a time trying to maximize your profit... I highly recommend getting ahold of the club and seeing if they can get several people together to come to a conclusion for a value.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #12
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
This is important to get you with a member here or your local Model A Club.
I agree.

Since some of the cars are apart and the parts are scattered, I would definitely seek the help of some of the local club members.

This way, you can sell each car with most of the parts that go with it.

They can also help identify the extra parts and get then in lots to sell.

Sometimes, a local club will have a swap meet and this may be a good way to get exposure for the excess parts.

Most clubs have a small committee that will help deceased members families dispose of an collection and help realize a fair value.

You may want to donate something to the club for the help.

Cars are easier to sell especially when they are all together and run.

You may want to re-think selling all your fathers cars and not keeping one.

As the years go by, you may want to have one of your fathers cars.

Years ago, I had to liquidate my fathers collection and did not keep one of his cars. Now, I wish I had.

Just my opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
TRP

Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father in law. Best of luck with the sale of the cars and the parts. Look up some local guys. My guese is that your father in law had friends who will help price stuff.

Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:36 AM   #14
P.S.

Mike,

First of all, I am sorry for your family's loss.

I live about 25 minutes from Angel's Camp just off of highway 49. Perhaps I could look at what is there? I might be interested in buying the lot.

I will send a Personal Message with my contact info.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:27 AM   #15
30ccpickup

If possible, my advise is to keep one and/or if a family member wants one do your best to make sure they get it.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #16
ronn

sell the cars one at a time on ebay- low fees and will bring mkt value

then sell the lot of parts as a lot at the end. this way, no parts go missing on the cars.

most guys from the clubs will not pay what your stuff is worth- just my 2 cents..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #17
Railcarmover
BANNED

^^^what he said^^^
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

The big DRAWBACK to collecting a LOTS of stuff, is that someday you'll HAVE TO SELL ALL THAT "CRAP"!!!
Bill W.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #19
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
The big DRAWBACK to collecting a LOTS of stuff, is that someday you'll HAVE TO SELL ALL THAT "CRAP"!!!
Bill W.
Even worse (and more common) is that your wife or kids will have to get rid of it. A big burden to put on the folks you love the most.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #20
Nardo1895

"The big DRAWBACK to collecting a LOTS of stuff, is that someday you'll HAVE TO SELL ALL THAT "CRAP"!!"

Amen to that. While I'm not a Model A guy I have managed to accumulate a lot of stuff over the years. My kids love to tell me "Don't do to us what grandpa did to you!" Too late for that! However, I am better organized than he was so they can figure out most of my stuff when I'm gone.

Someone asked what I want out of the sale. First I should say that my wife and her sister are the actual owners. I'm just their agent. I think what they would like is to get a fair price without a tremendous amount of research and work. I know that we can't get top dollar for the collection in the state its in, but I also don't want to get taken advantage of.

Some good suggestions here. Thanks for the advise.