Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Nabco

Default Changing Rear Tires

So right before my father-in-law gave me my car 3 years ago he had put two brand new Firestone tires on the front, the tires on the back were not great when I got the car. I've put a couple thousand miles on the car since getting it and now the rears are really bad and need to be replaced.

I'm planning on getting two Firestone tires to match the front but not sure how to go about replacing them. I've checked YouTube and found three different videos, all of which replaced the tires while the wheel was on the car....is that the recommended way of doing it.

I've never attempted anything like this before and will probably get someone in the club to help me....just checking to get some advice here.

Thanks

Nick
Old 07-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
jwilliams81

Default Re: Changing Rear Tires

Nick,

That is how I do it and how I would recommend it.

The key is to get the top beads of the tire down into the middle of the wheel. Once there, the bottom of the tire can be pulled off the wheel very easily.

Just like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7CL5ms21pI
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams81 View Post
Nick,

That is how I do it and how I would recommend it.

The key is to get the top beads of the tire down into the middle of the wheel. Once there, the bottom of the tire can be pulled off the wheel very easily.

Just like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7CL5ms21pI
Thanks for the feedback, that's one of the videos I found
Old 07-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
jwilliams81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabco View Post
Thanks for the feedback, that's one of the videos I found
I figured.

Like I said the key is to get the front and back beads down in that smallest grove in the center of the wheel. Once you get the top down into that groove, the bottom of the tire will clear the bottom half of the wheel. I usually can fit my hand in and just pull hard and the tire will pull off.
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabco View Post
So right before my father-in-law gave me my car 3 years ago he had put two brand new Firestone tires on the front, the tires on the back were not great when I got the car. I've put a couple thousand miles on the car since getting it and now the rears are really bad and need to be replaced.

I'm planning on getting two Firestone tires to match the front but not sure how to go about replacing them. I've checked YouTube and found three different videos, all of which replaced the tires while the wheel was on the car....is that the recommended way of doing it.

I've never attempted anything like this before and will probably get someone in the club to help me....just checking to get some advice here.

Thanks

Nick
I also learned from that video...

Did it with each wheel in turn mounted on the left rear hub..because of garage space it was the most accessible. And I didn't want it to swivel on the front hub..did all five that way...

I used a c-clamp to break loose a stubborn bead...

Use some lube...I used soapy water.....

You can put the new tube in the new tire and inflate to maybe 5 lbs to get the folds and wrinkles out, then slip the assembly over the wheel.

You can also try slipping the tube in after the new tire is partially mounted but I didn't try that method.

You will have it figured out by the time you are done!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

If you've got a rear spare it might be easier to do it there, it's higher. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
Synchro909

It makes things easier to "start and finish at the valve". Push the tyre into the well of the wheel opposite the valve as described above and in the video clips. That allows the bead to go as far down as is possible. Start removing the old tyre at the valve. Reverse the process to fit the new one, finishing at the valve.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #8
Pinesdune

Just a point, don't use grease to lube the rim, it will destroy the rubber, no matter how well you clean it after, soap n water 3/4 soap to 1/4 water makes good rim slip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #9
J Franklin

Get some RU-GLIDE at the parts store it is made to lube rubber and used in tire shops.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 PM   #10
160B

The best way to change a tire is to build a platform using 2X4 and plywood. Cut out the center so you can lay the wheel hubcap side down and remove the tire from the back side. Cover the platform with a carpet. I used indoor outdoor carpet. Break the bead on the front and the back of the tire. Place a plastic garbage bag over the rim and tuck the bag into the tire. Use a small tire iron and I use a piece of hard plastic to protect the paint on the rim and then work the tire off the rim. Remove the inner tube and repeat the process to remove the tire from the rim.

To install the tire place the plastic bag over the rim and work the tire onto the rim, this can be done by hand but if you need to use the tire iron and the piece of hard plastic to work the tire on the rim. Remove the plastic bag, install the inner tube. Place the plastic bag over the rim and work the plastic bag between the tire and the rim and work the tire onto the rim, this can be done by hand but if you need to use the tire iron and the piece of hard plastic to work the tire on the rim. Remove the plastic bag and inflate the tire.

I use chalk to mark the valve stem and tire weights so I do mot have to rebalance the tire when I am done fixing a flat.

See attached photos. The photos shows the platform and the tire with the tube installed and using the tire iron to install the tire on the rim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010532.jpg (55.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P1010533.jpg (49.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg P1010534.jpg (68.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P1010535.jpg (71.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg P1010536.jpg (56.7 KB, 39 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 07-26-2017 at 10:50 PM.
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:48 PM   #11
Bill G

Hmmmm

It looks very much like changing a bicycle tire, only a little bigger version. I think even I could handle that.

-BG
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:39 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

WD-40 will help the bead to slip into place correctly.
Soap and water causes rust or corrosion on aluminum, and that's why I quit using it in the 80's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #13
Nabco

Thanks for all the responses guys, just gotta get at it now....Nick
Old 07-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
katy

One tip not mentioned, after the tire and tube are on the rim fully inflate it and make sure the bead seats evenly all the way around. THEN deflate it completely and then inflate it once more.
This inflate, deflate, inflate sequence ensures that the tube doesn't have any wrinkles in it.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
springerpete

I just mounted a new spare on my 21" rim yesterday. It was a nice, sunny day so I left the tire in the sun till it was hot and flexible. Mixed 80% water to 20% Joy liquid detergent in a spray bottle. Made up 2 oak "tire irons" 1" wide and 12" long with tip shaped like a steel one with a power sander. Wood will not mar the paint on the wheel.
Added a little air to the tube and stuffed it into the tire. Poked the valve stem thru the hole in the wheel and with the soap solution, one knee and both hands got the rear bead over the rim. Tire was warm and soft and it went very easily. With the two wood tire irons and some more soap spray I easily worked the front bead over the wheel rim. Hard part came at the very end, the last 12" Used a wood hammer along with some serious talk to the tire and all was done. I really think a warm tire is very important.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
If you've got a rear spare it might be easier to do it there, it's higher. FWIW
Paul in CT
I like that idea :-) ! I wrestled mine on the concrete floor with a folded up moving blanket, a real pain for in back. Would like too add removing the valve core helps, also don't forget the rim strap!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
One tip not mentioned, after the tire and tube are on the rim fully inflate it and make sure the bead seats evenly all the way around. THEN deflate it completely and then inflate it once more.
This inflate, deflate, inflate sequence ensures that the tube doesn't have any wrinkles in it.
I sprinkle talcum powder on the tube before fitting it to allow it to straighten itself inside the tyre. Naturally, using the right sized tube helps!