Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Highboy34

Default 34 Roadster Top: Question

Does anyone have pictures of the 33-34 roadster top tacking strip parts that mount on the lip of the body behind the seat and package tray? This is the piece that you snap the top to. Some guys have said it originally was made of wood, others that it is a "C" shaped metal channel in which you slide in a section of tacking strip. I'd' like to make mine as close to original as possible. Anybody have pics of an original piece? Thanks to all.
Highboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Chris

Default Re: 34 Roadster Top: Question

I'd like to know as well....
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highboy34 View Post
Does anyone have pictures of the 33-34 roadster top tacking strip parts that mount on the lip of the body behind the seat and package tray? This is the piece that you snap the top to. Some guys have said it originally was made of wood, others that it is a "C" shaped metal channel in which you slide in a section of tacking strip. I'd' like to make mine as close to original as possible. Anybody have pics of an original piece? Thanks to all.
My '33 that I purchased in 1970 and owned for 30 + years had wood tack strips about 3/8" thick held in place by 10-32 flat head screws & nuts.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
David J

The pics are cabriolet but it is the same strip . As you can see it is riveted on . A roadster only has the strips on the quarters .The center on a roadster is studs . A cabriolet goes all the way around . The way ford did this was to crimp the c-channel onto hard paper like the stuff on a 33-34 closed car roof nailing strip . Same deal only a bit bigger . My roadster had these on it but they were not useable .
Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (48.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (65.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (65.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (66.4 KB, 68 views)
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Highboy34

David,

I have those "C" shaped metal channels but had nothing for the center section so thought they were wrong. I'll post a picture of what I have and maybe you can confirm that these are the right pieces.

Thanks to all.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
David J

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here's a couple pics of the gennie tack strip on my 34 ruster . The strip is riveted on as you can see .
Quote:
David,

I have those "C" shaped metal channels but had nothing for the center section so thought they were wrong. I'll post a picture of what I have and maybe you can confirm that these are the right pieces.

Thanks to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002_2.jpg (42.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (49.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004_2.jpg (45.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
richard crow

i have a orignal 33 it has the c chanel with wood inside it
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
40a-760

Highboy34,

David J's description is right on the money. The 5/8" 'c' channel strips had a compressed cardboard lining for a tack strip. I believe Ed Solari on this forum was working on replacement channel for roadsters. Might be worth a contact. I can take and send photos of an original 1934 cabriolet tack strip if it would be of help.

Walt K. in PA
40a-760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
hot rod pro

Does anyone know how to get in touch with him on the tack strips?
hot rod pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
40a-760

Go to the search option and enter Ed Solari under member name and the thread for the tack strip will be shown.

Walt K. in PA
40a-760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
TJ

Drake and others have a nylon/plastic tack strip that will fit inside of the C-channel. Once it's in there and the top tacked to it no one will know the difference. I have used pop rivets to hold the tack strip into the channel. Wood or compressed cardboard will work, but the nylon/plastic will hold the tacks much better.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Ed Solari

Hi guys...I have all the info about the tack strip and its mounting. If you have a email that can handle large pix files please send it to my email via the barn. It details the dimensions/mounting etc. The pixs are too big a file to post here

I will be looking at making a small production run in the next few months of the correct tack strip metal. As someone else posted Bob Drake does have a PVC tack strip material that will slide inside the metal as a excellent replacement for the OEM unavailable cardboard. BUT the big issue is that the twist and turns of the mounted strip is a problem. I intend to fab new straight pieces...you slide in the PVC and then rivet on as you twist and turn ...just like Ford did in 33/34. If you mount the PVC with a strip of 7 lb felt (asphalt) paper on top it will look OEM but perform far better.

If you want to be on the tack strip production list let me know via email.

I am looking for any portion or the front door edge (where the step is for the latch and any portion above or below) and/or the mating edge on the cowl of the roadster/phaeton. Even if it is to borrow for patterns. Also need the top caps of the B pillar...if I can not find them I may also make a production run of these ... if interested also email me.

When you email please inclose phone number
Regards
Ed Solari
Ed Solari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
DavidG

To add a little more weight to David J's and Ed's statements, the three '33 and three '34 roadsters and one each of the cabriolets that I've owned all had the steel C-shaped channels with pressed paper tacking strips as they've described them (all riveted in place).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Highboy34

Here are pics of the "C" channel pieces I have. From your descriptions and shots, it looks like I lucked out. Is it correct then to use studs across the top of the rear deck under the window section and that there's no pressed cardboard or hard rubber tack strip connecting the "C" channels?

If anyone needs further dimensions of these channels, send a PM. Thanks to all for your inputs and support..
Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
David J

Rivet the channels on after you have installed the tack strip in them as the rivets hold the nailing part also . Just studs across the center .
Quote:
Here are pics of the "C" channel pieces I have. From your descriptions and shots, it looks like I lucked out. Is it correct then to use studs across the top of the rear deck under the window section and that there's no pressed cardboard or hard rubber tack strip connecting the "C" channels?

If anyone needs further dimensions of these channels, send a PM. Thanks to all for your inputs and support..