Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
roddyb34

Default Bought a "USED ENGINE" Pray for me

We bought a used A engine today,hopefully it wont turn to crap,,,want t use as a stopgap engine while our original is getting done properly,all signs are good it is in a chassis with exhaust connected ,rigged a fuel can and a 12 volt battery ,,hadnt ran for 12 months but fired first go ,no clunks, rattles or vibrations at all,,,hope its a good sign ,not at all what we expected ,so we will take a chance ,it was a complete and driving 30 coupe imported from the U.S. that had a very amatuer resto on a good car in the 70s by an old guy,with hydraulics added ,a friend has bought it for the body for his hot rod project ,there is silastic evidence around the sump which we will remove and have a look and clean under the baffle plate but not get too involved ,our supposed good engine has had new pistons but has missing babbit problem in #4 rod along with vibration that needs attention ,fingers crossed ,,
roddyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
dave in australia

Default Re: Bought a "USED ENGINE" Pray for me

Can I ask who is doing your engine that you removed?
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
howie123

Default Re: Bought a "USED ENGINE" Pray for me

I bought a used engine about 20 years ago. The previous owner said it was a "factory rebuilt" engine, whatever that means. He had used it a short time and then had it sitting in his shed for 35 years. He brought it out and started it up so I bought it. I cleaned it up, painted it, replaced gaskets and then it sat in my garage for those 20 years. When I started it the first time about two years ago it took right off and has been running well. No need to fix what isn't broke. I'm sure old Henry smiled the first time I fired it up. Hope you do as well with yours. Howie
howie123 is offline   Reply With Quote