Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
JR48

Default re 34 Cabriolet Sun Visors

I was under the impression that 34 Cabriolets did not come out with sun visors. However, I came across a reference to them actually coming out with them fitted in 'Early Ford V8s As Henry Built them" on p. 111! Can anyone confirm this? If so, what material would they be made out of? Mohair? This seems a little fragile for an open car.
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: re 34 Cabriolet Sun Visors

I believe that your previous impression is correct. There is no listing in the '34 body parts catalog for sun visors for a cabriolet nor do they appear among the ten or so Ford archives photos that I have of '33 and '34 cabriolets. I've had one of each and neither had provision for mounting sun visors. Perhaps the book reference is a proof reading error because they are not mentioned on page 113 where the specifics of the cabriolet trim schemes are listed, unlike comparable listings for other body types with sun visors elsewhere in the book.

The book is a great resource and we owe George DeAngelis and Ed Francis (may they both rest in peace) our gratitude for sharing its contents with us. That said, like nearly all such writings, some errors are made and not always caught in the proof reading process unless the proof reader knows the topic at least as well, if not better, than the author(s).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
JR48

Default Re: re 34 Cabriolet Sun Visors

Thanks for that reply. It solves a conundrum.
Keep well, here in NZ we are in 4 weeks shut down, each family in total isolation, only essential travel allowed.
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote