Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
RcT

Default My other cars...

They don't seem to get the attention my A does. I worry all the time about grease, oil, routine maintenance, etc. on the Model A, but as for my other two modern cars, well, I just take them in for service when due. I am spoiled. Yesterday I took in my 11 year old daily driver for the 120k service. The mechanic called to tell me the onboard computer had indicated that number 3 cylinder was dropping one once in a while, and he recommended changing out the plugs, which he said were the original factory plugs... 11 years old and 120k miles. How many times do you think they have fired in that time? Anyway, it occurred to me how far the automobile has come. I know, not very topical to this site, but I felt worth mentioning.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: My other cars...

And to think some folks believe that Detroit (-or China, Japan, Korea, et'al) design cars to only last a few years now. In the day, a Model A engine had a likely service life of 25k-30k miles due to road conditions and engine oils. Splitting the difference, vehicles during the mid 60's were generally thought of as "used-up" if the odometer had rolled over the 99,999 mark. Fast forward until today, a 11 year old vehicle with 120k miles is in getting serviced and the original spark plugs replaced. Kinda makes it hard to comprehend the midset that cars are built to not last as long huh?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor

Brent is rite. when cars hit 100,000 miles they are just getting the bugs worked out of them..Dave
85930tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

if you have a serviceable fuel filter with over 20,000 miles change that also and a desludge cleaning out of the throttle body wouldn't hurt either along with new ignition wires unless it is c.o.p.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote