Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #41
Bill G

Default Re: Other Hobby Interests

My other hobbies include ham radio and collecting antique telephones. I also owned a 1964 - 1/2 Ford Mustang that I bought from my dad in 1969 which he bought brand new off the showroom floor in June of 1964. I owned that car for 25+ years.

There are similar issues going on between all these hobbies. Younger people do not understand the older technology and most don't even have a desire to have anything to do with them. Ham radio, for instance, seems to be a hobby which is largely full of old timers and few newer and younger people get interested. With cell phones and free long distance, there is nothing to talking to someone around the world any time you want to. Why would anyone now want to wait for just the right atmospheric conditions to only be able to talk for a few minutes through loads of static? They just don't understand the fun of it all!

It looks like the same may be said of old cars, but I do see many younger people getting involved in old cars/ Model A's. Maybe there is more hope here than in other hobbies.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #42
tinman080

Since I retired I build replica cars from scratch, so far an 1897 Olds Trap, a 1903 Curved Dash Oldsmobile, a 1910 REO diesel truck, and currently a 1932 Ford roadster. Not quite 4 years of projects. All full-sized and drivable. A lot of FUN!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0003 (Small).JPG (170.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 0730171553b~2 (Small).jpg (66.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1658 (Small).JPG (202.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #43
SeaSlugs

There is a trend i notice as well (maybe were some kinda weird breed thats undiscovered)

besides my AA that ever since i can remember every time I visited my grandparents farm I wanted to go down to the timber to see "the old truck".

Before that its my other car a 1980 Chevette - gets alot of looks and stories at cruise ins.

My dad and I restored a 1960 VW Karmann Ghia. He bought one new in 74 and sold it in the early 80's - said that was a huge mistake so early 2000 we found this 1960 the next town over with no rust for $500.

I too collect ww2 rifles of almost all the countries and target shoot just for fun. Very interesting the different characteristics of each major countries standard issue bolt action rifles. Mainly collecting for the history but why collect a gun that doesnt/cant shoot? - still got a few more on the ol bucket list..

I have always been into HO, N, and O gauge trains - not so much in the last few years but someday i will get back into it.

I do love photography, haven't sold any of my photos and not sure what to do with em once I take them besides dump em on the computer but i guess its the thrill of the perfect moment and perfect picture is my lure of doing it. I'm not looking to get rich off it - just want to share with the world but want credit when credits due haha.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #44
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Model airplanes. Totally control line (no radio control). Currently managing the U.S. team for the 2018 Control Line World Championships to be held in Landres, France next July. http://www.2018CLWC.org
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #45
TMH1953

Like collecting old classic cars
1931 Deluxe Tudor Sedan
1932 Ford Roadster original Henry Ford Steel
1935 Ford Truck
1936 Ford 4 door convertible Phaeton
1939 Ford 4 door deluxe convertible
1940 Mercury Eight 2 door convertible
1948 Plymouth Business Coupe
1932 Boyd Coddington Boydster