Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2022, 12:08 AM   #21
deuce lover

Default Re: Anti Chatter rods

Here is a pic of a pair of "B" currently for sale in the classifieds.Hope this helps you.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:16 AM   #22
Fortunateson

Thanks for the pic! Two questions... would these work with an 8BA engine and what are those two large bracket for and where do they attack? I presume the oval shaped part of the rod attaches to the K member and the ends with the nuts attaches to th bell housing or engine block? Thanks.

Edit: Looking closer, except for the bracket thing, they look to be relatively straightforward to fab.

Last edited by Fortunateson; 05-31-2022 at 12:24 AM.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:45 AM   #23
deuce lover

Those brackets mount to the side of the "B" engine on the bellhousing. The "oval " end mount to the '32 K member and slide in from the rear .You would have to fab a bracket to mount to the 8BA unless you can adapt these.There is a pic in post #14 by V8Coopman showing 8BA fabricated brackets.

Click on this link.This discussion explains the purpose of the stay rods.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...i+chatter+rods

Before you consider doing this make sure your engine and trans are installed (mocked up).

Here is a pic of the mount on a motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 "B" stay rod mount.jpg (34.4 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by deuce lover; 05-31-2022 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:43 AM   #24
Mart

FWIW I have found that only one rod seems to work ok. If in the position of having to make them, just try one, but make sure it is on the driver's side, and see if that does the trick. Two is probably better, but one seems to work ok.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:27 AM   #25
DavidG

Next step is a photo of your center cross member, preferably taken from the rear. As you are new to '32s you would not yet be familiar with all of the changes to the chassis frame that took place over the course of what was an abbreviated model year. That your frame does not have the reinforcements on the inside of the frame rails above the rear axle only distinguishes it as "not late" rather than "early" as a significant majority of original '32 frames do not have those reinforcements.

Your posting a photo of the back of the center cross member will permit identification of what holes, if any, need to be added to it to accommodate the back end of steady rods such as those shown in deuce lover's photo in #21. There were three different center cross member versions used before the most common, rest-of-the-model-year version was adopted, sort of like "super-early, very early, and early".
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:48 AM   #26
Fortunateson

Now I’m getting educated! Thanks.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:48 AM   #27
Fortunateson

Thanks for all the help guys...
Old 06-12-2022, 01:37 AM   #28
Fortunateson

Okay, I finally got a couple of pics. So what’s your opinion on my frame? Do the stay rods/anti-chatter rods for a four cylinder work for an 8BA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F817129E-D6F0-43BF-9CA2-FE907F64F759.jpg (74.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 4DC2AFE3-E4B4-4396-95D5-97C13032EC88.jpg (61.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Fortunateson; 06-12-2022 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:12 AM   #29
deuce lover

That is where they go.You need to custom make or have made, brackets that attach to the bellhousing or block.That you will have to determine.

Last edited by deuce lover; 06-12-2022 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:17 AM   #30
DavidG

Okay, your frame's center cross member is typical of nearly all '32 frames (and is not "early", but rather mid-year) in that it has attachment holes for both four-cylinder and V8 steady (anti-chatter) rods that pass through the cross member. Your second photo which is a bit of a close up of the rod hole that was used previously confirm that your vehicle was originally a B four. However, using that set of holes and their counterpart on the other side of the cross member would require fabricating attachment brackets on your engine's bell housing that are much further outboard than those shown in V8Coopman's photos in #14 above. What you need to do to limit the size of the fabricated brackets on the side of the V8 engine bell housing (as in #14) is to use the set of holes in your center cross member originally intended for the V8 steady rods, which in your first photo are where the two white-looking wires are protruding through the cross member.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:14 AM   #31
SUHRsc

I've installed a later engine in a 36 in the past by just drilling out the bolt hole nearest the rod in these photos, threading the rod past the original stop point and using a nut on each side to hold the bellhousing together.

Looking back, I may have bought the brackets as it was a customer car and I was going into uncharted territory not knowing whether it would work or not, but it did indeed work out well for what I was doing at the time.

Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
For '49-'53 engines, Mark Seitz makes these brackets and ships to you. His correct phone number is 234-600-8804 and he charges $60 which includes shipping for a pair of his brackets. Coop

His address is the same:

5345 Parkman Road NW,

Warren,OH 44481

77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:32 PM   #32
Fortunateson

Okay, I’ve located a set of stay rods off a Model B which apparently will work. It looks like I’ll just have to make some plates to mount onto the bellhousing. How thick should these plates be?
Old 06-14-2022, 09:36 PM   #33
Fortunateson

Another question if you guys don’t mind... I know that the four cylinder mounted to the front crossmember and at th ek member. At least I think it did. What was the purpose for that bracket that mounted to the firewall?
Old 06-15-2022, 11:55 AM   #34
deuce lover

Its a vibration damper for the 32 4 cyl only. The rods are fed thru from the back of the K member like a V8