Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
2manycars

Default auxiliary lights and turn signals

I have installed rear lights for safety. I used rectangular trailer lights under the body, and the LED Brakelighter rear window light sold by many model A suppliers. The turn signal unit is from Tickin Through Time, and is a hidden unit with the micro switch on the shift lever.
First photo shows the tail lights on.
Second photo show left turn signal.
Third photo shows right turn signal.
Fourth photo shows brake lights on with out turn signal.
With turn and brake lights on at the same time, one side blinks while the other stays on steady.
I hate modernizing too much, but feel that with people following so closely, and the fact that hand signals are no longer taught in driving school, that the lights are an added margin of safety.
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coupelights1.jpg (45.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg coupelights2.jpg (44.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg coupelights3.jpg (41.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg coupelights4.jpg (42.7 KB, 116 views)
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: auxiliary lights and turn signals

Looks good and the main reason that adding signals to mine was the first thing I did.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
TinCup

How about a picture of the signal on the shifter.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Bill Lee/Virginia

Bill:
I like your setup. However, in the 4th picture, if I were following you and when you applied your brakes, my first thought would be that you might be turning left. I recommend installing a taillight on the other rear fender.
Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Big John

at last a person put some sensible tail/turn lites on a model a... nice to be able to see them... a nice regard to safety, bill..... thanks.....
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
1930pu

I used the same turn signal setup on my 1937 and will be doing the same on my A as soon as I get that far along, It works great I don"t have an indicator light but a beeper that comes with the set up, and a tiny toggle switch on the shifter is all that is seen, I think it was about 150.00 at Snyders
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
ctlikon0712

I like that also. Seems to be the best option for me also. Thanks for the pics!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
How about a picture of the signal on the shifter.
I'll take a photo tomorrow of the switch and the control box.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Special Coupe Frank

I think the window-mount LED strip is one of the best investments an antique car owner can add to a driver.

Turn-signals are a real close second.

Nice job, 2 Many.

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
springerpete

I just finished mounting the lights on my roadster. I used a second pair of Duo Lamp tail lights on the rear mounted next to the originals ( yes, I did put a 2nd bracket and light on the right side of my A ) and mounted a pair of '32 Ford cowl lights on the front bumper just inside the bumper clamps. May seem convoluted to some but it looks good and is in period for this cars vintage tho' not stock, I know. I'll be wiring things up as soon as my wire arrives from Tams. Going to use a toggle switch mounted on the steering column as the control along with a 6v flasher can hidden somewhere. Works well on my '25 T rdstr pu so we'll see how it goes.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
eagle

People do not know what hand signals are anymore. I put lights on my A too. More than once I was turning left and cars passed me on the left, waving as they did it. They thought I was waving them around!
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
steve s

If you're going to add trailer lights, why not just use them? Gives a cleaner, more efficient job to my eye, with the signals coming from where other drivers expect them to come from--no mixed signals. Model A guys know they're not authentic, but most other folks don't, unless they study them up close. Extra lights added just scream non-authentic to me, not that I'm personally opposed; I've also got the rear window brake light and motorcycle turn signals up front. Here's my trailer lights, which have the extra advantage of side illumination. SAFETY FIRST.

Last edited by steve s; 11-01-2012 at 08:23 AM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Barry B./ Ma.

On my 30 std. roadster I used 67 VW amber backup style lights mounted under the rear body on brackets from the bumper supports and added cowl lights(optional on std.roadster) only for directionals in the front. I plan to paint the front bulbs amber and leave the lenses clear.

Last edited by Barry B./ Ma.; 11-01-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
painterrick

I did almost exactly the same thing to my 30 coupe a month ago.They do seem to help people approaching you from the rear know what you are going to do .I think they all need safety lights on the back.The originals are so hard to see
painterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
2manycars

Here are the photos of the switch and the unit. The unit attaches to the inside of the firewall with velcro. It has connections for front and rear lights, brake signal input, power, and ground. The red wire is the fused power wire. The black wire is ground. I just wound the phone cord from the switch around the flasher for now, will make it neat later. The buzzer is on the right, and is noisy enough to eliminate an indicator light.
I put the rectangular trailer lights under the body so they would not look bad when not in use. They are not noticeable until lit up. The original brake light is still in use, and I dont see that as a problem when braking, as it does not blink, like a signal does. I figure this is much better than no lights, and I dont want a right side taillamp, as the 29 did not come with one, and I like my hidden lights better. The light in the rear window is very slim, and not terribly noticeable until lit.
I am not suggesting everyone should do what I did, or that this is the best option, I just posted to show what I did, and what can be done. Everyone has their own idea as to what they think is best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turn1.jpg (54.8 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg turn2.jpg (46.8 KB, 119 views)
Old 11-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #16
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
If you're going to add trailer lights, why not just use them? Gives a cleaner, more efficient job to my eye, with the signals coming from where other drivers expect them to come from--no mixed signals. Model A guys know they're not authentic, but most other folks don't, unless they study them up close. Extra lights added just scream non-authentic to me, not that I'm personally opposed; I've also got the rear window brake light and motorcycle turn signals up front. Here's my trailer lights, which have the extra advantage of side illumination. SAFETY FIRST.

It's hard to argue against safety mods; just wish they didn't make the car look like a Shay repro...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Allanw

We've found driving without indicators and decent brake lights a bit daunting (especially since after our last drive, we discovered the rear light doesn't go at all now!)

We've bucklaed under the pressure, and are going to drill the 3 holes in the other fender to add another tail light.

I'm going to install a repro bracket, and tail light with amber top on each side. I'm also going to ad a 32(?) tail liaght on each side (the ones with one big read lens).

The amber section will be the indicator, the tails will remain the same, and the 32 light will be the brake light.

It will be a bit messy, but the lights are at least from the correct "period" and are similar in design.

I think I'll get a pair of 30's comercial cowl lights for the front indicators, and ad amber bulbs to them.

Hopefully it looks OK :-)

Cheers,
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"

Last edited by Allanw; 11-02-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: typo!
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
Cape Codder

I installed the right tail light bracket and then installed LED Tail/Brake lights in them. I also installed LED directionals in the front and rear bumpers. Members of my club have told me they sure look good when braking or directionals are on. I'm not worried they are not original as I feel it is a safety thing.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
It's hard to argue against safety mods; just wish they didn't make the car look like a Shay repro...
Hmmm, I've gotten lots of comments on my car and its various mods over the years, but none before comparing it to a Shay repro--I realize it's all personal preference and in the eye of the beholder. Usually, it's the sealed beam buckets (which were on it when I purchased car in 1960) that are tsk-tsk'ed over. To my eye, the lights are a very small part of the total picture, until you need them! Nonetheless, if someone made repro teacups with sidelights built in, I'd adopt them in a heartbeat.

Last edited by steve s; 11-03-2012 at 09:44 AM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #20
Allanw

Those lights blend in surprisingly well, considering the square shape!

We weren't going to fit lights, but then decided that a few etra holes in probably better than a written off "A". There are some serious retards on the road around here! You have to cater for the eisting dangers, AND them!

Have ordered a bunch of stuff... I'll post up some pics when we've done it all - probably in a years time
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote