Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Dusty

Default Magic carpet ride

Well not really but a much improved ride, from an earlier thread on modern shocks I almost give up on my install of Ken's shock because the front spring had so much sag the fronts shock had little or no travel. You all advised that the front spring replacement was not that big of deal so I ordered a new spring and after some harsh words got the new one it put in.

I now have about 2.5 inches of travel on the shocks which is good but what I now notice is the driver's side sags about an inch more the the passenger side.I have never notice this before but it may have been there, the question is why?
Yea I know that's where the fat guy sits anyway any easy fix for this?

Also here is a picture of the new spring and the old spring to show you how much sag there was.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
TreeTopFlier

Default Re: Magic carpet ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I have had to loosen the u bolts that hold the spring to the frame and retighten them. When you retighten them evenly you usually eliminate the sag.
Are you saying you can take some of the sag out by loosening the ubolts and retightening them evenly? My front in is sitting a little low.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I have had to loosen the u bolts that hold the spring to the frame and retighten them. When you retighten them evenly you usually eliminate the sag.
So is it a matter of repositioning the new spring and that I may have one side drawn up a little more than the other? I don't think this is the case, however I will look at it again.

thanks
dusty
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

As the others have suggested plus is the spring centerbolt in the hole?? Where (vendor) did you get the new spring?? Did top leaf have a bevel so it fits up into the crossmember??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
As the others have suggested plus is the spring centerbolt in the hole?? Where (vendor) did you get the new spring?? Did top leaf have a bevel so it fits up into the crossmember??
Paul in CT
The spring came from Snyders, I assume the hole you are talking about is in the cross member? If so I didn't know there was a hole there

As usual this is all good info and I will have to jack it up and take down the spring Oh well with a foot of snow outside there's not much else to do

Surviving in snowy WV(hopefully my last one here)

dusty
Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
painterrick

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
To center you dont have to lower the spring jus loosen the u bolts a lil and hop on the running board of the direction you need it to go.If that doesnt work ,you can always find a heavier partner than you to ride on the right,lol Im jus kiddin. Have a great day
painterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterrick View Post
To center you dont have to lower the spring jus loosen the u bolts a lil and hop on the running board of the direction you need it to go.If that doesnt work ,you can always find a heavier partner than you to ride on the right,lol Im jus kiddin. Have a great day

I'll get hoppen, the other beefy partner idea won't work...we both would not fit in there

Exercising in WV
dusty