Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: Just curious about your thoughts

"Black with 'Fire-engine wheels' and WWW tires" ?

I've seen worse...

First of all, it's your car.

2nd: "It's only paint", then changes you describe. (easily changed down the road)

3rd: Spouse factor (probably should be first, if you're expecting her support)

4th: Whatever you choose, shoot for the best execution of the scheme, so that it doesn't look amateurish.

My thoughts...

Tacoma Cream might be really stark against an otherwise all-black car ? How about French Gray ?

The coupe in my avatar (hint-hint), came the way you see it - photo was taken the day I picked the car up and drove it home.

Since then I've discovered the original color was Andalusite Blue (very dark), with (probably) French Gray stripe.

I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to go with black wheels, as (in my opinion) it's "too much black on the bottom"... my current inclination is to match the wheels to the stripe, when I get around to repainting the car in it's original color. I have a spare set of wheels, that I can do up in "correct Henry black"...

The majority of '28-'29 A's I see in Eastern PA are not "points cars", and do NOT have black wheels... ( just sayin'...)
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
One side one color the other side another color like they use in the movies.
Michael,
Only problem is, I did some heavy research & concluded that colored wheels run FASTER than black wheels. A fireman friend said that's why fire trucks have RED wheels & also that's why their Dalmation gets to ride. With the older black wheels, the dog could outrun the truck! Uh Oh! back to my research, I just remembered that I saw a firetruck once with CHROME wheels------Bill W.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

[QUOTE=BILL WILLIAMSON;515430]Yikes!,
Except for the grumble seat, that's "MINERVA's TWIN! Black is CLASSIC and RED wheels makes them FASTER. Minerva would run 80 MPH with 3.78 gears & NO overdrive, yes, that's up to the "0" on the speedomometer! NO, the engine was NOT stock & it just HMMMMMM'd beautifuly smooth on it's full FAM mounts & suprisingly enough, it would go TADA, TADA, TADA, TADA at parade speed in high gear like a stocker. How did it do that?? "MAGIC!" Bill W.[/QUOT

Your coupe looks great, Bill!!! Heres Jennifer under the hood of her coupe.It has a few mods, its .080 over with a 5.9 head and Mallory distributor. It also has FAM's and stock 3.78 gears. It doesn't have one of my nasty gutted mufflers or SUPER HOT flamethrower coils. It probably won't run 80 mph but its fast and doesn't look back at the hills. She drives it just like I use to. Almost forgot, the wheels are Rustoleum sunrise red. Purdy D.

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re:RING

Jennifer,
Be careful of that BEAUTIFUL ring! Reminds me, before Pat's dementia got real bad, she had all her gold rings & jewelry laid out & said, "Why don't you sell all this & buy yourself something FUN?" I first was amazed at her concise statement. How did I get such a GREAT wife for 55 years & her Momma didn't even like me? Her Grandma was O.K, wish she had been my Mother in Law!
Tell Purdy I got my Zip-A-Rak, now I can haul & load my scooter by myself.Purdy, I'm purposely leaving Vermin stock, any ideas what I should buy as a fun thing with the gold money?----Bill W.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #25
painterrick

I like the black wheels with the gray pinstripe idea I agree no white walls for me
painterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Fifty years ago when I got my first A, my dad bought me a set of tires and correct wheels for my birthday. I painted the wheels bright red, lol. When I put the front
set on, I had a picture taken with two of the new tires/wheels. The picture is in my
forum album. My taste has changed just a tad.

Jack