Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
johnbuckley

Default brand new idle jet seperated

Just got this out of packet ( froma reputable supplier!) and crikey it just came to pieces!! Which begs the question- what normally keeps the pieces together? Are they soldered? braized? friction fit? thermal shrink? or what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2033.jpg (26.2 KB, 91 views)
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
160B

Default Re: brand new idle jet seperated

Soldered

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
Joe K

As above, soldered. Could be repaired. If you return it for credit/replacement, it probably will be - and re-sold.

Meanwhile you could take the opportunity to "fine tune" this and re-solder it - meanwhile fill the lower end with solder and then re-drill the orifice. This should normally be followed by a "flow test" (there is a kit sold to help you do this too) but many (such as myself) just do the drilling and call it "close enough."

Your choice. Jets you get from most all parts suppliers are notoriously suspect, and subject to defects as befits their sourcing by in large in the Pacific Rim.

Joe K
Old 02-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
As above, soldered. Could be repaired. If you return it for credit/replacement, it probably will be - and re-sold.

Meanwhile you could take the opportunity to "fine tune" this and re-solder it - meanwhile fill the lower end with solder and then re-drill the orifice. This should normally be followed by a "flow test" (there is a kit sold to help you do this too) but many (such as myself) just do the drilling and call it "close enough."

Your choice. Jets you get from most all parts suppliers are notoriously suspect, and subject to defects as befits their sourcing by in large in the Pacific Rim.

Joe K
Where is this flow test kit sold.....??
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
Tom Endy

My experience has been that the repo idle jets are pressed together and not soldered. I had one that was sucking air and upsetting the function of the carburetor. I solder the junction of all of them before using. I also flow test all jets before using and solder and re-drill the tips if necessary.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post

Joe K
Isn't the US (at least the west coast) on the rim of the Pacific??
IMO, those low cost countries where so many of these components are made are capable of making good stuff - it's just that importers and sellers all want to reduce costs as much as possible so can they maximise profits. You gets what you pays for, they say.
"The benefits of good quality survive long after the cost is forgotten"
Old 02-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
wmws
BANNED

When you solder the tip and re drill the hole how do you maintain that concave profile that is so important.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
rocket1

I would look for an original numbered jet.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
Joe K

Sorry. I have seen the "flow testing kit" advertised. But for those who intend to save the money of a kit, here is the setup commonly used. http://www.model-a.org/jet_flow_testing.html

It basically amounts to a controlled "head" of fluid, and timing out the flow into a graduated cylinder. The only technical challenge is creating a repeatable "head" which is what the reservoir accomplishes.

It has been addressed in the literature as well. Tom (above) has contributed to the literature. https://www.brattons.com/media/wysiw..._-_11-2007.pdf

And - while original numbered jets provide SOME assurance of actual flow, only an actual test can assure positively. Original jets can wear, and they can have "deposits" from the gas.

Joe K
Old 02-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #10
160B

here are photos and instructions for the water column I built for flow testing jets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Column.jpg (12.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Column with bucket.jpg (17.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Flow Tester.jpg (37.2 KB, 58 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I have turned down the nut on the model A idle jet to remove the nut completely . I then shorten the tube to proper length and use it make the power jet for the model B carburetors . Many times the power jet will get broken off from the model B carburetor . The model A idle jet is the correct diameter for this use . Model A idle jets are way less expensive than model B power jets . . I have found a method of turning the nuts down and off with my bench grinder . Some may have difficulty with this so its not for everyone . Just a thought of what has worked for me .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
here are photos and instructions for the water column I built for flow testing jets.
Thank you 160-B Just what I was looking for
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:01 AM   #13
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
When you solder the tip and re drill the hole how do you maintain that concave profile that is so important.
You touch it up with a drill the size of the tube. If your going into solder, I do it by hand with a pin vise.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #14
Jim Baskin III Pa.

John , This is who I use for all my jets.They are flow tested and are the best.Never had a better running carb.with these jets.

https://www.rennerscorner.com/index.html
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
Ed in Maine

When you rebuild a carb, you should always flow test the jets. If you don't, you don't know what kind of a job you did! One thing to look out for, is that some jets have the calibrated tip pressed into the end of the tube. Sometimes this will split the tube creating a hair line crack in the tube. This crack will be below the level of gas in the bowl and leak. If you have a carb that doesn't drip but always has a gas smell in your garage, look for a split jet tube. The repair is just solder over the crack. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #16
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Baskin III Pa. View Post
John , This is who I use for all my jets.They are flow tested and are the best.Never had a better running carb.with these jets.

https://www.rennerscorner.com/index.html

Ditto on that source. When you see the care they take with communicating, and packaging of items that are always top quality you will want them as your primary source for the products they carry.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #17
Sunnybrook Farm

I put a kit in a zenith back in the 70s and had no power so I pulled it apart and found that one of the jets had an obviously smaller hole so I replaced it with my original jet and the power was back so they really need to be looked at to get original performance. I quit replacing them if they looked good, used to think all the stuff had to be replaced but not so.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

I agree , all of the stuff doesn't have to be replaced , I prefer to use original or good used jets than some of the foreign repro jets .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote