Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #21
DRG-ler

Default Re: Loosen / tighten individual cylinder head nuts?

Normal is relative. It's not normal, but it's quite common. There is no oil supply on this side, so it can only be a mixture of soot and water. (I have too.) If there are only 1-2 drops, I'd just watch it first. If it gets stronger and you can see that the cylinder is pulling water, (you can see the spark plug and the piston surface) then you have to intervene and replace the cylinder head gasket. In addition, I think I have read somewhere that you should check new cylinder head gaskets and check the nuts more often. Tighten again and again with the torque wrench because the seal is still sitting and still working due to the different temperatures. By the way, my head gasket didn't leak after the action than before. Greetings Andy
DRG-ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #22
nkaminar

Wow, really nice installation, very clean. I have a couple of comments:

The engine flexes a small amount. I would have added short lengths of rubber hose near the firewall.

There are some really strong magnets available, 30 pounds pull. Using these would mean that you would not have to disturb the head nuts and that the system would be easy to remove if desired.

I see you have a valve at the return. This is a very good idea as eventually we may have a summer.

Did you build a scoop at the inlet to the heater system (water outlet)? That makes the system run when the thermostat opens up.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #23
DRG-ler

It is hard to see in the pictures, but the pipes have 3mm clearance on all sides in the bulkhead and can move. The transition to the heat exchanger is then built with rubber hoses. I would not like a solution with magnets. The super magnets did not yet exist in 1930. But that would be a solution that could have been built back then. I haven't made any changes to the thermostat housing and it has always been warm enough. Even with the thermostat open. The only thing I still need is either a 6V motor for the blower, or a voltage converter. A 12V motor is currently installed, which runs quite slowly with the 6V in the car. It could get warm faster ...
Old 02-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #24
katy

Suggest that you measure how much current (amps) the motor uses on 12 volts and then get a 6 volt to 12 volt convertor that can handle the current required plus about 20-25% (or more).
Old 02-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #25
DRG-ler

Yes, that's my plan too (parts are already here.) ... At least it's plan B. Plan A would be an original 6V engine. But it's hard to find.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #26
nkaminar

I have a comment not related to your heater. There is usually a rubber insulator that is installed over the ignition cable that runs from the distributor to the junction box on the firewall. It is installed right at the junction box to prevent shorts. See https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...model-a/wiring

I think you have thought of everything for the installation of your heater. Good luck finding the 6 volt fan motor. Another option would be a 6 volt to 12 volt converter or carrying around a small 12 volt battery.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #27
DRG-ler

Ah, thanks for the hint. I once bought a set with many seals and this rubber was included. But I never found out where it belonged. I can retrofit it now.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #28
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...check Speedway Motors...I was able to purchase a six volt motor that was part of a six volt radiator fan system...it was pretty reasonable...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #29
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG-ler View Post
Hi Guys,

I would like to install some copper water pipes for heating in my 1930s Tudor. These should be placed long on the left of the cylinder head. But since there is no good fastening option there, I would like to build brackets that are fastened with the cylinder head nuts.

How are your experiences with loosening and tightening the nuts regarding the tightness of the head gasket? My head gasket is already sweating a bit on the left. A mix of petrol and coal comes out above the engine number. But not so much that I want to replace the cylinder head gasket. A drop every 100km.

Now I have concerns that the conversion will make it worse.
What is the experience like when retrofitting the heat protection for the ignition distributor? This is also assembled this way.

What are your experiences with the material pairings cast iron / stainless steel in relation to corrosion?

Thank you in advance.

Andy
If you are noticing that kind of creosote look around the head gasket, it is already an indication that total retorquing of the entire head would be in order. The method given to me by this very forum provided the method. Using a Model A Ford head tightening sequence instruction, and using an accurate torque wrench, Start on the first nut and loosen it and then tighten it back to the specified foot Lbs. (55 ft lbs) One thing you will discover, is you are tightening most nuts more than you loosened them. And When you get down to the nut by the distributor, If you do not have the Model A offset wrench, best to purchase a 7/16 crows foot to loosen and tighten.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yhd1 View Post
I am new to Model A's, but mine runs fine but does weep at a small spot on the left side between the cylinder head and block. I was going to replace the head gasket to fix this, but according to your comment this is normal? please explain further.
I have replied to your PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #31
Synchro909

I very well executed installation but one thing jumped out at me. Why did you insulate the return pipe?
Old 02-17-2021, 02:13 AM   #32
DRG-ler

Because you could burn yourself if you touch it. No not true. The isolation is actually for optical purposes only. It looks more appealing, and you don't see that it is pipes and fittings from the heating industry.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #33
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
If you are noticing that kind of creosote look around the head gasket, it is already an indication that total retorquing of the entire head would be in order. The method given to me by this very forum provided the method. Using a Model A Ford head tightening sequence instruction, and using an accurate torque wrench, Start on the first nut and loosen it and then tighten it back to the specified foot Lbs. (55 ft lbs) One thing you will discover, is you are tightening most nuts more than you loosened them. And When you get down to the nut by the distributor, If you do not have the Model A offset wrench, best to purchase a 7/16 crows foot to loosen and tighten.
7/16" crows foot? Should be closer to 11/16". Remember if using a crows foot, use it 90° to the torque wrench. Using it straight changes the torque a certain amount.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #34
duke36

Larry Brumfield and others recommend re-torque sequence with engine warm, then completely cooled off followed by backing off nuts no more than 1/8th turn, one at a time before setting torque.

Last edited by duke36; 02-18-2021 at 11:12 AM.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote