Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2020, 10:40 PM   #1
bdtutton

Default 3.27 Ring and Pinion

My 1930 Tudor has rear storage compartments (A Basement) under the rear floorboards. They are great for storage, but are very close to the driveshaft, making it impossible to install a Mitchell overdrive.
...So I am thinking about installing a 3.27 Ring and Pinion because i would like to be able to cruise at 55 mph without over revving the engine. Has anyone put one of these in and if so...what did you think of it??
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #2
SSsssteamer

Default Re: 3.27 Ring and Pinion

I put a 3.27 rear end gears in my 1931 CCPU. It was a very smart move and the pickup pulls it easily. I put a 3.54 in my 1929 Tudor and it pulls 4 people nicely. Would a 3.27 in my Tudor have been better? Not here in the Cascade Mountains in the Pacific Northwest. Installing 3.27 gears in a Tudor with 4 people would work well in the flat lands though. With 3.54 gears in our Tudor, 60 MPH is about as fast that I would like to cruise it at. It could go faster but that would be abusive to it. The CCPU cruises nicely at 65 MPH and it also is powered by a touring motor built by H & H.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
Mike Peters

Perhaps not related, but I put a 3.27 ring and pinion in our 35 Ford coupe with a tired engine and iffy radiator. Long story short, it pulled too hard and would overheat on a hot day. Starting out in first gear with a 3.27 rear end is like starting out in 2nd with 3.78 gears. So I replaced the 3.27 gears with a set of 3.78 gears from a '37 Ford rear end. The car is much happier now. A 3.27 rear end will work for you if your engine and radiator are in top shape. As stated above, a touring engine would be better.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
wmws
BANNED

With a tire circumference of 91 inches ( yours may differ) and a 3.27 rear, at 2000 RPM you would be going 52 MPH. Hope this helps.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
Jack Shaft
BANNED

3.78 rear and a mitchell gear splitter..you can drive it in low range and feel just like a stock model a,or high range and go fast..I like splitting second,do most round town driving with one synchronized shift. You wont miss the 'basement'
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
Jim Brierley

With 3.27's, cruising on the highway is much better than stock gears. Acceleration from a stop is much worse but not too bad with the low first gear in the A trans. Bottom line, do whatever suits you driving style and terrain.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #7
Synchro909

Why not modify the under floor storage box? I have a Mitchell and storage in my 1928 Tudor. The best of both worlds.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #8
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
With 3.27's, cruising on the highway is much better than stock gears. Acceleration from a stop is much worse but not too bad with the low first gear in the A trans. Bottom line, do whatever suits you driving style and terrain.
Just curious, with the 3.27's what is the jump from 2nd to 3rd like? That's where I run into trouble

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Just curious, with the 3.27's what is the jump from 2nd to 3rd like? That's where I run into trouble
The jump between 2nd and 3rd with 3.27 gears isn't much different than with the 3.53 or the 3.78 gears. There is only a small additional power gap between those gears, but with the 3.27 gears, you can stay in 2nd gear longer without over rev-ing the engine than when using the other rear axle ratios. It reminds me of using a 2nd gear in over drive. It is the improved pick of the gear shift selection on many hills. In mountainous country, with a stock A engine, I would recommend the 3.27 rear axle gears for the roadsters, pickups and coupes. I would recommend the 3.54 gears for the sedans and cars carrying four or more people. 3.78 gears are great for the steep hills of San Francisco or Seattle.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
Hotrodfil

I run a 3.27 under the back of my Coupe. Stock A gearbox, with a tuned B engine. Probably around 70hp or so. Cruising at 55-65 is no problem and I've had no problems climbing hills when we've run down to Wales to race at Pendine.

I had contemplated fitting my close ratio gearbox to close the gap between 2nd n' third as I'm sure it'd pull it no problem.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #11
Jim Brierley

As Ssssteamer says, not much different, still too big of a drop. I run a V8 trans, so not so bad. An 0.D. is still the very best way to go, I've had a Colombia under my widebed since the early 60's, and now have a Vicky with a T-5 trans. The T-5 IMO is the best way to go, but is more trouble to install, but shifting is a dream! Both have 4.11's and cruise easily at 65 MPH, 2100 RPM.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:52 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I have installed quite a few 3.27 ratios over the years, however they have all been with solid performing engines. I have one in my Phaeton, -and Jim Cannon (-former MAFCA Tech Director) has one in his Phaeton. He has a 3.27 ratio in his 1929 Phaeton, -and he & his Dad along with a weeks worth of luggage cruised the entire Blue Ridge Parkway which has some decent pulls to over 6600 ft of elevation. Like anything, there will always be scenarios where that ratio is not the best fit, but I don't believe the bodystyle would solely dictate the fit.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #13
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtutton View Post
...So I am thinking about installing a 3.27 Ring and Pinion because i would like to be able to cruise at 55 mph without over revving the engine. Has anyone put one of these in and if so...what did you think of it??

There is a "third way" which I'm going to try. Plan is to have a 3.54 rear and run USA made BF Goodrich Silvertown 5.50 bias ply tyres, 5.50 is the size the Russian Model A used. This gives an equivalent rear gearing of 3.33 so about 12% higher than standard gearing,

https://www.jegs.com/i/Coker-Tire/257/74170/10002/-1

Last edited by M2M; 05-11-2020 at 08:47 AM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #14
Purdy Swoft

I would be more concerned about luging the engine with a too high gear ratio .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #15
M2M

Question Re: 3.27 Ring and Pinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I would be more concerned about luging the engine with a too high gear ratio .

Purdy, no doubt you're correct if talking about a stock engine but how about when running a 50-55hp engine (5.5 head, Stipe cam, Aries)? You still think a 3.27 is too high?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Purdy, no doubt you're correct if talking about a stock engine but how about when running a 50-55hp engine (5.5 head, Stipe cam, Aries)? You still think a 3.27 is too high?

On our 30-31 standard roadster I'm running a Brumfield 5.9 head , Winfield grind cam, ground by Bill Stipe , enlarged and smoothed intake ports . I'm running an old stock original Trojan cast iron dual updraft intake manifold running dual model B carburetors, warmed up ignition with a flame thrower coil among other mods , it has wonderful power . I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of the power to run a too high gear ratio . I'm not really interested in higher top speed . I can easily reach higher speed for passing or getting out of the way . I prefer a comfortable cruising speed of 50 MPH . My wife has been known to go faster at times .
Old 05-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #17
Jim Brierley

Good point Purdy, that's why I think an overdrive is the best answer.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

I prefer good low and mid range power than really higher top speed

I feel that 3.27 gears would cause low and mid range power to suffer
. even with the mentioned engine mods. Three fifty four gears would be a better choice in my opinion . Henry felt that 3.78 was a better choice and so do I . If I need higher cruising speed I will chose the safer modern vehicle . Usually the passengers don't survive a high speed wreck in the model A . I prefer fifty MPH cruising speed and it feels plenty fast enough for a 90 year old vehicle . With a body that is partly framed in wood , I feel that it is nowhere near as safe as a later model car .
Old 05-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #19
CarlG

3.78 rear with 27% OD lets me cruise at 50, (sometimes up to 55) at a nice pace, engine turning under 2K. Good enough for me.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
3.78 rear with 27% OD lets me cruise at 50, (sometimes up to 55) at a nice pace, engine turning under 2K. Good enough for me.
All four of my Model As have that setup, even the one I use to tow a camper that weighs about a tonne (2,200 lb) at 50 mph all day. IMO, it is the best overall configuration. I can tow at 55-60 on the flat for a short while if I want and it is rare that low first struggles to get up a hill. When that does happen, I zig zag my way up. I've never failed to top the crest but I've made it work hard in low first, even with a more powerful touring engine.
My way of looking at it is: Ford gave a lot of thought and experimentation to find the best ratio for the Model A (standard engine, of course). Mitchell did similar when deciding on 26% (and 33%) ratios for their O/Ds expecting that people who install them don't mind modifying their car so will have a peppier engine. I'm not about to spend big $ second guessing them.