Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default Not Late V8: '80 T-Bird problem

Default Not Late V8: '80 Thunderbird problem

Years ago I had my mom's '80 T-Bird "restored". It was the only car that she ever drove. My dad did not let her get a driver's license until she was 55 years old.

I drove it a bit but since I had no on-site place for it, I put it in storage in town. When I did this I thought that I had run the gas out. You can see where I am going with this.

Recently, I finally finished my new shop and now would have a place for it. However, when I went to get it, I realized that I had left 3/4 of a tank of gas in it. Though it smelled like varnish I still drove it up onto the trailer. Now that it is home I need to get that gas out of it before I drive it any more.

The filler tube has a screen on it so I cannot siphon it out. A friend said to put ice under it, remove all bolts and when the ice is gone and it is lowered slide it out from under the car. However, this car has a metal guard that protects the front 1/3 of the tank so it cannot be easily lowered down.

Another friend says disconnect the coil and gas line. When you go to start it with the key, the gas tank pump will eventually remove most of the gas. It seems like this would take forever and possibly burn out the starter.

On the front of the tank there is a 2 to 3" cover with the gas line and a sensor wire for how full the tank is. I don't know how to remove this and then reseal it. However, since the tank is so full would removing this just spill gas all over?

I thought of even contacting the local Ford dealership but I think that they would balk at removing 3/4 of a tank of varnish gas even though I do have a friend who would take this varnished gas.

I'm asking for information on how to solve this problem or a T-Bird site/person who could act as a source of information. Help!

Thanks for allowing me to post a non-V8 problem and for any help that you can offer.

Dean

P.S. True confession: 95% of my work on automobiles is working on Model A's. Other than maintenance, I do not work on modern vehicles. I consider this '80 T-Bird to be a modern vehicle.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: Not Late V8: '80 T-Bird problem

I assume a 1980 is a carb engine. you could get a cheap fuel pump from autozone, about $29. power the pump with a battery, attach a hose to the fuel line somewhere and pump it out. if its an injected engine I don't know if you can pull fuel thru the in-tank pump
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
I assume a 1980 is a carb engine. you could get a cheap fuel pump from autozone, about $29. power the pump with a battery, attach a hose to the fuel line somewhere and pump it out. if its an injected engine I don't know if you can pull fuel thru the in-tank pump
This is best and a method I use on every old car I bring in. The worst part is what to do with 10-15 gallons of rotten gas and your clothes that now smell like it.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
50fordcoupeman

Disconnect the fuel line somewhere and pressurize the fuel tank and collect the gas in a non-metallic container. Be careful old gas still explodes and burns................
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Ford blue blood

Remove the soft line from the fuel pump, remove the gas cap, jack up the rear of the car and all the gas will siphon out.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:47 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: Not Late V8: '80 T-Bird problem

It It Were Mine...

And I had a suitable place to work on it (enclosed shop with concrete floor - proper fire extinguisher nearby), I would either siphon the fuel by disconnecting the fuel filler tube/hose and siphoning with a pump or lowering the tank with a suitable cradle on a floor jack. Dispose of the fuel correctly and have the tank cleaned.

You do not want that fuel getting into the carb, even though most likely the fuel in the carb, pump and lines has gelled anyway.

About what year was the car put into storage? Nice to know as to quality of gasoline that was used in that period.

BTW... The 80/82 BIRD was a sharp looking car.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
Ole Don

Doing this inside calls for the door to be open, and cross ventilation working, with the fans and compressor off.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote