Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #1
psimet

Default Since the starter is already out...

'28 tudor. I had a crack in the block that I had a different thread on here for. First repair failed so I got serious this spring and did a bigger second repair that seems to work. During that repair I had to remove the starter to get access to the crack in the block.

So... now that I am about to put the starter back in is there anything I should be looking at doing to the starter since it is out anyway?

It has been working albeit slow cranking in my opinion. 6-Volt original system all around. Bendix seems OK - no crack in the spring or anything that I can see...

Anything else to do or look for based on the wealth of experience here?
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:30 PM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Since the starter is already out...

If it isn’t broken don’t fix it.

How old is your battery? As they age you will notice it in your starter speed.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
Patrick L.

If you have a generator/starter shop nearby they can check the amp draw on it.

The battery age and condition can be a factor.

Also the battery connections should be checked and cleaned especially the ground to the frame. Many folks [ me included] like to add an extra heavy ground lead from frame to transmission/bellhousing.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #4
Terry, NJ

Before you spend a lot of cash on your starter, try putting and auxilliary ground cable on it. If your ground wire is from the (Goes to the) top of the frame, put the cable on the underside where it can't be seen and ground it out with one of the three starter bolts. The ground path in a 90 year old model A is slowed down by rust on the rivets and what were once good connections, but now are no longer functioning as well. I did the on all my cars and had quite an increase in starter RPMs. This extends starter life and a good fast spin will get it going faster.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #5
psimet

New battery last year. I never cranked the engine before last year so the low cranking is just my impression.

IIRC sometimes it will just stop cranking or sometimes I will hit the starter pedal and hear that it has made contact but it won't go. but if I pull off and press down again it usually will crank "normally".

I did clean the contacts, etc. I have all new wiring throughout the vehicle and nothing really changed with that.

I don't have too many complaints as the starter will start the car (or at least did last year) but was just checking if there was anything to clean or adjust with it out of the car already.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:49 PM   #6
psimet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Before you spend a lot of cash on your starter, try putting and auxilliary ground cable on it. If your ground wire is from the (Goes to the) top of the frame, put the cable on the underside where it can't be seen and ground it out with one of the three starter bolts. The ground path in a 90 year old model A is slowed down by rust on the rivets and what were once good connections, but now are no longer functioning as well. I did the on all my cars and had quite an increase in starter RPMs. This extends starter life and a good fast spin will get it going faster.
Terry
I put all new wiring on it through the year last year. Ground is good and new. Actually replaced it twice last year because of other issues (incorrect one, incorrect battery tray, etc.) and it didn't change cranking of the starter.

Again - I am not having problems with the starter per se. I just had it off to work on the engine block. I am just looking for anything to clean or adjust before putting it back on since I already have it off.

Thank you!
Old 06-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
nkaminar

Oil the starter bearings and the Bendix. Use transmission oil or STP.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:10 PM   #8
J Franklin

The bendix shouldn't be oiled other than maybe a shot of wd-40 or PB blaster, or it will start sticking and not spin on the shaft properly. just make sure it is clean.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:34 PM   #9
Herb Concord Ca

Spin the gear on the Bendix it should move freely without stopping from one end to the other, if not clean it and lightly oil.
Hook up jumper cables, put your foot on the starter, connect one cable to the mounting plate, the other cable touch to the copper button, after your remove the switch. The starter should spin up to a fast speed 3 to 4 thousand rpm. if it does your are good to go, if not, clean the commutator and oil the bushings.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #10
Big hammer

If your going to spin the starter off of your car like on a bench or floor, remove the bendix or it will vibrate like crazy! When reinstalling the bendix use new bolts and locks.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:01 PM   #11
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimet View Post
I put all new wiring on it through the year last year. Ground is good and new. Actually replaced it twice last year because of other issues (incorrect one, incorrect battery tray, etc.) and it didn't change cranking of the starter.

Again - I am not having problems with the starter per se. I just had it off to work on the engine block. I am just looking for anything to clean or adjust before putting it back on since I already have it off.

Thank you!
New wiring will help, marginally! But it won't do anything for the starter. The problem is not with the wiring. It's with the frame! For the ground side to get back to the battery, It must pass through many old (and rusty) bolts and connections in the frame. This slows the starter down. With a clean, bright, and tight, cable connection, the current flows much better. Auxillary grounds are nothing new or cheesy fixes. Most modern cars have a few somewhere. They can be more of a guarantee than a necessary part. Another way to "cure" the problem of old grounds would be to tack weld all riveted connections, but I'm not recommending it. Good Luck!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:26 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
Spin the gear on the Bendix it should move freely without stopping from one end to the other, if not clean it and lightly oil.
Hook up jumper cables, put your foot on the starter, connect one cable to the mounting plate, the other cable touch to the copper button, after your remove the switch. The starter should spin up to a fast speed 3 to 4 thousand rpm. if it does your are good to go, if not, clean the commutator and oil the bushings.
While it is spinning, check the shaft for straightness. I've seen even the 5/8" shafts bent.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:32 AM   #13
psimet

Interesting stuff and good info thanks! I will most likely spin it while it's off the car. Will give me a good idea if I do have any ground issues somewhere. I have no problem running another ground sire from the main ground cable mount on the frame up to the starter frame/bolt into the flywheel housing if need be.

bendix moves easily up and down the starter shaft. everything looks really good there.

Any more input on whether I need to remove the bendix if I am spinning it out of the car?
Old 06-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimet View Post
Interesting stuff and good info thanks! I will most likely spin it while it's off the car. Will give me a good idea if I do have any ground issues somewhere. I have no problem running another ground sire from the main ground cable mount on the frame up to the starter frame/bolt into the flywheel housing if need be.

bendix moves easily up and down the starter shaft. everything looks really good there.

Any more input on whether I need to remove the bendix if I am spinning it out of the car?
If you're spinning it to check for a bent shaft, there is no need to remove the Bendix. If it is bent, you'll see it.