Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #41
tubman

Default Re: How to repair damage to a deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
tubman>>> I wouldn't be drilling holes in a block that could be repaired with epoxy!>>>

You seem ike the type who also wouldn't use a reciprocating saw, cold chisel, or cut-off wheel to remove pieces of stuck head gasket. So what would you recommend for those who seal gaskets with glue instead of grease? 8^) Jack E/NJ
I will admit to being totally confused by this response.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:36 AM   #42
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
How deep is the gouge? Maybe have the block decked.
I thought of decking but I don’t think it is recommended as the casting is thin in places.
I’m leaning to trying the Extreme Heat JB weld.
First I have to get the 6 stuck valves out.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #43
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36coupe View Post
First I have to get the 6 stuck valves out.
Ah. OK. Now I think I know how the damage occurred.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #44
Jack E/NJ

Mart >>>Ah. OK. Now I think I know how the damage occurred.>>>

Yeah. That makes more sense than trying to remove a stuck gasket with a saw or cutoff wheel. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #45
36coupe

I’m at the point of cutting the valve heads off on the couple valves that a could pry up.
I’ve been beating them up and down try to get them loose, soaking them. In frustration I got the recep saw out thinking I would have more control than a mini grinder. Took about 4 strokes to cause the damage.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #46
Russ/40

We should have started right there before you did anything. There is plenty of help here to avoid such errors. If you had asked for help removing valves, we would have told you to get the cutting torch out and cut the valves off from inside the valley. What else can we help you with? Seriously!
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #47
itslow

I'd take it to a machine shop that's experienced in welding cast iron, and then have the deck milled just enough to clean the surface up.

Regardless of what filler material you use, you'll need to have it decked to ensure you don't have a low or high spot there that would prevent the gasket from sealing the combustion chamber.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #48
Tim Ayers

Quote:
I’m at the point of cutting the valve heads off on the couple valves that a could pry up.
I’ve been beating them up and down try to get them loose, soaking them. In frustration I got the recep saw out thinking I would have more control than a mini grinder. Took about 4 strokes to cause the damage.
If you'd like, I'd be willing to loan you a KD valve guide removal tool. Makes easy work of this tough task.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #49
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
If you'd like, I'd be willing to loan you a KD valve guide removal tool. Makes easy work of this tough task.
I really appreciate the offer but I am in another country.

I never thought of a cutting torch in the valley. My little Cobra torch would probably work quite well.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #50
Russ/40

Quote:

I never thought of a cutting torch in the valley. My little Cobra torch would probably work quite well.
Most people discard the valves and springs and replace with 8BA valves anyway.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #51
Ronnieroadster

Quote:

Two points I would like to help you with. First from experience I can tell you filling the deck damage with the JB weld epoxy will solve that problem. Here's a true story about using the JB weld epoxy to save a rare set of aluminum finned heads. This rare set of heads had previously been decked so much the valve pockets and dome areas were extremely shallow making it impossible to run on an engine. To solve the problem of the shallow valve pockets and dome area JB weld was placed onto the complete deck surface of both head's this now increased the clearances so the heads could be used. This solution worked perfectly on the entire deck surface of both heads. Nothing special was done to the head deck surface other than being sure they were free of grease, dirt, oil stuff like that. The epoxy was simply placed onto the surface and then simply resurfaced.

And as an additional vote of confidence to how great JB weld works some very fast Bonneville records have been set using the stuff in the area of combustion chambers. Oh heck yea some Bonneville records lord knows someone hates seeing this. The speeds of 224, 225, and 229 MPH

Your slight amount of damage only needs to be filled with the epoxy material no need for any drilling or additional trauma to the casting surface. To make the surface of the epoxy flat to match the block deck you can use a single edge razor blade.
As long as the razor outer edges remain on top of the block deck surface this becomes the height gauge. Now as you slowly trim the epoxy height this will be a perfect guide for leveling the epoxy to the exact height of the block. No additional decking is needed once you have the epoxy leveled.

The second point I would like to caution you on be very careful using a cutting torch in the valley area of the block. The casting behind those valve springs is not thick its rather thin. Any excess heat from a torch can and at times will cause cracking which will end up being a water leak. So be very careful.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 04-09-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #52
marko39

Quote:

A sawsall works well in the valley with a lot less mess.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #53
Russ/40

Interesting Ronnie. Did you JB only the flat surface that mates with the block? How far inside the fire ring did you go? Any photos to share? Was it the slow set JB? Especially, I would love to see post run disassembly photos.

This fully supports durability on unexposed areas shrouded by gasket material, but im still not convinced of inside the fire ring durability. I want to believe, but still not convinced.

Marco39, I have a hate relationship with sawzalls. I just hit the side of the spring and valve. Never had any problem. It is wise to alert your neighbors, because it will be smokey!

Lindsay, is that damage near an intake or exhaust valve?

Last edited by Russ/40; 04-10-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #54
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Interesting Ronnie. Did you JB only the flat surface that mates with the block? How far inside the fire ring did you go? Any photos to share? Was it the slow set JB? Especially, I would love to see post run disassembly photos.

This fully supports durability on unexposed areas shrouded by gasket material, but im still not convinced of inside the fire ring durability. I want to believe, but still not convinced.

Marco39, I have a hate relationship with sawzalls. I just hit the side of the spring and valve. Never had any problem. It is wise to alert your neighbors, because it will be smokey!

Intake.
I have a 20 year old can of Lab-Metal never opened with a 2 year life span, probably should turf it.
JB weld make a 1000f extreme temp epoxy.
Thanks to everybody for all your help.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #55
Ronnieroadster

Quote:

Sorry I don't have any photos of the project I never took many pictures. The Epoxy was the actual edge into the combustion chamber in other words the fire ring area. I realize its hard to imagine the material holding up under the firing of the cylinder but it did. Now JB has a material that withstands high temps back when this was accomplished that was not available so we just used the standard stuff only other thing I can add is we did not use the fast setting type.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #56
Jack E/NJ

I'd expect that, even though Lindsay's slip-o'-the-saw extends into the combustion chamber, the actual flamefront at the hot end shouldn't penetrate too far and/or too fast because the gouge is plugged with epoxy at the cool end. I think even low temp epoxy would also work even if near the exhaust valve. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #57
john greco

Google Belzona , it’s superior but expensive
john greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:52 AM   #58
Russ/40

It's beginning to look like an epoxy solution. If it flows like the slow set JB, I would be more satisfied about a good mechanical bond. Great that it's at an intake valve. Heat is not likely going to be a problem, it's the bond that will matter.

I'm disappointed JWL never commented. I would consider his opinion to be gospel.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #59
Ronnie

Quote:
It's beginning to look like an epoxy solution. If it flows like the slow set JB, I would be more satisfied about a good mechanical bond. Great that it's at an intake valve. Heat is not likely going to be a problem, it's the bond that will matter.

I'm disappointed JWL never commented. I would consider his opinion to be gospel.

Read again jwl had a comment

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #60
Russ/40

He just asked for a photo.........no suggested solution.