Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #21
Vintage Copper 47

Default Re: Deleted-Lost topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas webb View Post
I think you may be confusing the HAMB with hotrodders.com.HAMB is not a streetrod site.
Well, I do love the traditional flathead hot rod..

But the HAMB does have a custom section with lots of slammed, & chopped & metallic green machines.. if that isn't a street rod.. then what is? Not trying to disrespect anyone.. there is the "general" section called the "hokey ass message board (I know, HAMB).. I was referring to the other two sections "traditional hot rods" and "traditional customs"... a lot of modified cars there.. I am not looking for that stuff, I prefer a basically stock vehicle, with minor upgrades.. which is why I love the Barn!

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Early Chop'd and channeled cars are not normally referred to as Street Rods. Street Rods are later OHV engined cars (usually SBC, but lately a lot of SBFs), Mustang II type front ends, that sort of thing. And a lot of billet aluminum, etc. To me it is fairly easy to tell the difference (at least in my own mind! ). In general pre-mid fifty's (or earlier to me) & post that era (think 60s and 70s).

Hard to beat a slammed 50s Merc, but I'm not much of a customs guy.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #23
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Early Chop'd and channeled cars are not normally referred to as Street Rods. Street Rods are later OHV engined cars (usually SBC, but lately a lot of SBFs), Mustang II type front ends, that sort of thing. And a lot of billet aluminum, etc. To me it is fairly easy to tell the difference (at least in my own mind! ). In general pre-mid fifty's (or earlier to me) & post that era (think 60s and 70s).
Ok.... I am so used to warmed over stock motors with standard paint jobs, and stock wheels, that anything I see with mag wheels, bright red & other gaudy colors, lowered and a tilt steering wheel was a street rod.. Looking at those upset my delicate stomach (& mind) LOL

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Old 03-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Tilt steering is getting into the Street Rod range!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #25
cas3

a street rod has a can of wax in the trunk, and a hot rod has tools in the trunk. theres the difference
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #26
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
a street rod has a can of wax in the trunk, and a hot rod has tools in the trunk. theres the difference
Love that quote!

Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #27
skidmarks

Hotrods and all early fords need to have 3 pedals
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Hotrods and all early fords need to have 3 pedals
WINNER-Chicken Dinner! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #29
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Copper 47 View Post
Well, I do love the traditional flathead hot rod..

But the HAMB does have a custom section with lots of slammed, & chopped & metallic green machines.. if that isn't a street rod.. then what is? Not trying to disrespect anyone.. there is the "general" section called the "hokey ass message board (I know, HAMB).. I was referring to the other two sections "traditional hot rods" and "traditional customs"... a lot of modified cars there.. I am not looking for that stuff, I prefer a basically stock vehicle, with minor upgrades.. which is why I love the Barn!
Guys like Barris, Hines, Roth, Jeffries, and watsons paint (to name a small group) did a lot of interesting stuff in the 50's-60's with customs. I like a well done custom just as much as a hotrod.

https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php...%27s_1958_Ford

Barris did make a lot of tv/movie clown cars, Munsters drag car. To me the others never did that.

Is there some confusion between period correct and stock restoration going on here. Ya maybe.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-02-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #30
Pat's 52

Vintage Copper,
What happened with the 41 Ford Super Deluxe that you were looking at on the V8 Forum? I notice it had a similar paint scheme as your 47.
Pat's 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #31
Tinker

To me, and you can roast me, what makes this place special is the guys that can rattle off ford part numbers for a ford 34' tudor radiator bolt. Amazes me anyway.

I think flathead 4&8 ford hop ups are also right on. Not that anyone gives a poop what i say

Last edited by Tinker; 03-02-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #32
cas3

there are some sharp folks here, we are lucky to have them.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:39 PM   #33
texas webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
there are some sharp folks here, we are lucky to have them.
Amen to that.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:53 AM   #34
51 MERC-CT

Yep!
Old 03-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #35
blucar

It could be that the deletion of the thread started by "Vintage Copper 47" was due to my response to "Walt's" question about how to add a AT column to an old Ford, and the pix' I attached showing a tilt column and a aftermarket banjo wheel in my '39. The second pix showed the interior of my '36 Ford with a chrome dash and a column gear shift on the left side of the column.
As the old car hobby has evolved in the last ten to twenty years, a new phraseology has emerged to describe cars like my '39 convertible, "Resto-Mod".. This terminology is generally used to describe vehicles that still retain their original look, but have improved mechanical components for reliability and safety.
In the case of my '36 Ford, yes, almost every mechanical part in the car is '40-48 Ford which have all been bolt-in applications. The only welding ever done to the chassis is to simulate the rivets that attached the '40 steering gear mount to the frame.
I wonder, just how many '36 Ford 5 win cp's exist today that still have all of their original glass, upholstery, accessories, etc., and have only been repainted the original color once?
I would venture the guess that if all of the questions related to modifications to an Early Ford were eliminated from the Barn, the contributions/questions would be cut at least in half.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #36
JSeery
Member Emeritus

See post #5
Old 03-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #37
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Copper 47 View Post
Ok.... I am so used to warmed over stock motors with standard paint jobs, and stock wheels, that anything I see with mag wheels, bright red & other gaudy colors, lowered and a tilt steering wheel was a street rod.. Looking at those upset my delicate stomach (& mind) LOL
A lot of the confusion comes about when terms are mis-used by some folks not familiar with what these terms actually represent. For instance (and this is only a partial list), there are STOCKERS, GOW JOBS, TRADITIONAL HOT RODS, STREET RODS, RAT RODS, RESTO MODS, EARLY CUSTOMS and MILD CUSTOMS, to name a few, and they all represent something different from one another. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 03-03-2018 at 12:52 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #38
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat's 52 View Post
Vintage Copper,
What happened with the 41 Ford Super Deluxe that you were looking at on the V8 Forum? I notice it had a similar paint scheme as your 47.
My original topic was for advice on buying a car for daily driver.. Sadly that purchase won't happen for at least a year.. unless I get a car that was donated to me...

Old 03-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #39
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
it could be that the deletion of the thread started by "vintage copper 47" was due to my response to "walt's" question about how to add a at column to an old ford, and the pix' i attached showing a tilt column and a aftermarket banjo wheel in my '39. The second pix showed the interior of my '36 ford with a chrome dash and a column gear shift on the left side of the column.
As the old car hobby has evolved in the last ten to twenty years, a new phraseology has emerged to describe cars like my '39 convertible, "resto-mod".. This terminology is generally used to describe vehicles that still retain their original look, but have improved mechanical components for reliability and safety.
In the case of my '36 ford, yes, almost every mechanical part in the car is '40-48 ford which have all been bolt-in applications. The only welding ever done to the chassis is to simulate the rivets that attached the '40 steering gear mount to the frame.
I wonder, just how many '36 ford 5 win cp's exist today that still have all of their original glass, upholstery, accessories, etc., and have only been repainted the original color once?
I would venture the guess that if all of the questions related to modifications to an early ford were eliminated from the barn, the contributions/questions would be cut at least in half.
yup!

Old 03-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #40
TomT/Williamsburg

Well, looking at my avatar all I can say is, "I know nut TINK!" Lol!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote