Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
V12Bill

Default Exhausst manifold

What is the difference between an 8BA left manifold and an 8RT left manifold? I have an 8BA in my 1950 Ford F1 and the 8BA left exhaust manifold is only 1/4" away from the steering box. Is the 8RT that close also, or is it much further away?
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
A bones

Default Re: Exhausst manifold

G'mornin Bill. Just saying. If you change your thread title to include the model number at hand, the answer may come sooner. I know it's not been long but sometimes I'll cherry pick what I view. Sorry I don't have your answer. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
V12Bill

I just reviewed my post and it seems that I did state the model vehicle that I have and also the year. Is there something else that you need?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Some of the cast iron production was consolidated under different part numbers after the change over from 8BA to EAB. I don't have any to compare since most of my stuff is Mercury related but there may be very little or no difference between the two part numbers.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
tubman

I have examples of both manifolds at my shop. When I go up tomorrow, I will take some pictures and measurements (if no one else checks in before).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
V12Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have examples of both manifolds at my shop. When I go up tomorrow, I will take some pictures and measurements (if no one else checks in before).
Thank you, I would appreciate that.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
I just reviewed my post and it seems that I did state the model vehicle that I have and also the year. Is there something else that you need?
Tubman will get you straight. He is one of our better assets.

I was referring to the Thread Title only. As your user name might not interest some one who knew the answer. Causing them to skip over your thread.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
tubman

OK. I just got back from my shop and have it all figured out Basically, what is happening is that the car pan has the dipstick tube coming up between the front and center exhaust ports, while the truck pan has it coming up between the middle and back exhaust ports. That means that the exhaust manifold is closer to the block in the back for a car and closer to the block in the front for a truck. In the following pictures, the manifold on the red engine is a truck manifold, while the individual manifold is a car manifold. In both instances, the left hand of the manifold goes towards the front of the car. I think the differences are self-explanatory.

"V12Bill", I don't see how you could have a car drivers manifold on your truck, because the outlet goes right where the motor mount is on a truck. The crossover pipe goes in front of the engine on a car and under the engine on a truck. The picture of the car with the Fenton headers is just there to show where the dipstick tube is on a car. Here's the pictures :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1029.jpg (72.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1030.jpg (56.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1032.jpg (51.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1033.jpg (60.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1034.jpg (55.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1035.jpg (56.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1036.jpg (81.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
V12Bill

Default Re: Exhaust manifold

Tubman, Thanks for your reply and the pictures. Everything is now clear, even though I now have a new can of worms to untangle. I think that the car exhaust that you show is from a 1952 or 3 car. The crossover pipe would be in front of the engine. The shoe box cars had the crossover under the engine and they are the manifolds that I have. Again the yahoos who swapped engines in my truck strike again. Obviously they had the correct 8RT engine to start with and choose to toss all the exterior goodies that make it an 8RT. They forced the 8BA engine in its place( wrong starter plate, wrong water pumps and who knows what else).
I wonder if headers would solve my problems or create new ones?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #10
tubman

Nope, that drivers side exhaust manifold is one I took of my '51 Ford in 1987 when I installed the Fenton headers, and there is no question that it was the original system. Shoeboxes had the crossover in front of the engine. I believe that all '49-'53 Fords used the same pipe.

It doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference though, because the parts you need to fix it right are pretty easy to find and usually cheap when you do. I think I may have a spare set of truck exhaust manifolds myself. As for headers, I really like the Fentons; they have been on there since 1987, and when I swapped engines last year, I cleaned 'em up and they looked brand new. The sound great and don't leak. In my book you can't beat 'em.