Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
blucar

Default Lets beat up on G.M. Don't think so..

Throughout the many years that I have been on the Ford Barn and EFV8 Club, Forum I have to smile to myself each time.. G.M., responds to a topic and some people take him to task for touting "Skips water-pumps, etc"..
Actually I think that G.M. deserves more credit for his responses, in lieu of negative remarks..
From my prospective G.M.'s comments are actually "Info-mercials"..
G.M. generally provides very good information relative to the content of the topic, then he introduces his comments about Skip's products, buried within the response..
During a period in time during my working years I was the Managing Editor of an industry publication that had world wide distribution. The "publication" served three purposes, it was an informational instrument covering technical subjects, news of the industry, and most of all it raised huge amounts of money which helped to pay operating expenses and employee salaries..
The booklet was distributed to subscribers free of charge, the cost to do this was paid by the manufactures that submitted their P.R., technical info, etc.. The one requirement was that the articles, pictures, etc. had to be carefully crafted in a manner that did not imply that the article (s) were commercial advertisements.. i.e. Info-mercials..
The publication lasted for over forty years, generating huge amounts of money for the promotion of the industry, then a new board of directors tried to turn the publication into a political publication, and their greed did away with the free subscriptions..
Within a year and a half the publication was dead...
Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Lets beat up on G.M. Don't think so..

Bill, we promise we won't try to politicize George Mitchell.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Vic Piano

Not sure I follow your logic re the fait of the publication as it pertains (or not) to G.M's postings. I will say this; I've known George for almost 20 years and he is an unselfish provider of significantly researched information relevant to Flatheads. I have Skips pumps and coils on several of our Flatheads as well as one "helmet" distributor he set up. All his products have performed as George said they would and I would not hesitate to use Skip's service in the future.

That said, there are a lot of "know it all's" for lack of a better moniker, on this forum who like to take shots at those that actually do research and development in the interest of improving the drivability of our vehicles, while offering no valid representations of achieving contrary results under similar testing. While George may be guilty of touting a product and/or service on the forum, he is certainly not alone in that reguard. If the powers that be don't want posters to promote products (unless they purchase ad space on the forum) they should let it be known. As always "caveat emptor" should be the rule to follow when one is searching for a said product or service.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Whenever I am down in the Tampa or Ft Meyers areas I try to get to Punta Gorda to see George and Skip. Always interesting to see what these guys are working on. George reminds me of some of the research and development engineers I once worked with. Always looking at ways to improve or invent a better mouse trap.
I have to say a big reason for my almost trouble free trip (7,200 miles) across the country and back last June, was directly related to some of the Skip Haney products I had on my '35 Fordor Sedan.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-04-2014 at 04:30 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Bassman/NZ

I have no problem with GM's posts, I find them generally very informative and researched.
BTW: Blucar, your avatar car is drop dead gorgeous!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
34billct

Cant we just talk about the cars?
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
epw1949

I only pm G.M.to ask for information on flathead V/8's ,and where to send out different parts because ,I do not want the rest of you to be as smart as George,and myself. George,I thank you for the past help.E.P.W.
epw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
Barry-ct

I second the motion to get back on the subject of cars. George's info is just that.. info. You can take or leave it, your choice. I read almost all threads to gain more info. Let get to the positive side of things and get rid of the negativity.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Royal Ryser

GM's offerings are well thought-out and documented. I don't give a damn if he throw sin an endorsement for Skip's work. I don't hear any complaints about Skip's work, either.
We'd all be better off if all of the posts were as good as GM's.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Cecil/WV

How come its OK to bad mouth Bob Drake(whom I have no problem with), but wrong to say something good about GM??
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Ol' Ron

I'd have to side with George
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
rotorwrench

We may not always like things about other folks on the barn forum but at least we all pretty much like the same old cars. If a person wants drama they can always go on Face page.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
Talkwrench

I like reading GM's responses they are generally not one liners, detailed and informative. Sure he puts a plug in pfft so what, some of us [younger ones] need all the help we can get..
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
I have no problem with GM's posts, I find them generally very informative and researched.
BTW: Blucar, your avatar car is drop dead gorgeous!
Thank you Bassman for the nice comment about my '36 coupe.. As many of the contributors here on the "Barn" might recall, I have been the guardian, and chief mechanic for the car for over sixty years.. Yes it is a highly modified car, all of the mechanical components are '42-48 Ford (Merc).. The car still has all of it's original upholstery and has only been repainted once, original black with apple green pin strip..
As the car sits in the picture it had the '40 Chevy headlight pond which were installed in '52. I replaced them with original headlight pods in 1964.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Yep, I'm in the "thumbs up for G.M." camp myself. Beauty of the internet is that it also allows anyone to be a "hero" or know it all without having to prove they have "real world" experience, knowledge, research to back up their claims.

G.M. has always laid out the facts for the ideas or products he supports and I see value great in that.

I, for one, believe we need more folks like G.M. in this great hobby we all love.

Thank you, sir.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 02-06-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #16
Tinker

If someone was messing with him, he sure didn't complain about it on any post. Guess that is a testament to his character!

There was a thread a few days ago about "filling shoes" I posted a list of guys that have been immensely valuable in helping me. Directly or indirectly through other peoples posts.

"mac vp (invaluable site), david j, steve plucker, mike v, tom wesenburg, Walt Dupont, ryan, bubba, tim mcmaster (yblocker), jwl, gm, ol Ron, Bruce Lancaster... pork n' bean, flathead ernie, tommy, and squirrel (hamb),... I could go on... but this is a short list of guys that unselfishly help newbies on mechanical issues dealing with the flatheader 4s, 6s, and 8s. Most certainly a short list from me and there is more."
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
G.M.

Angry Re: Lets beat up on G.M. Don't think so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Throughout the many years that I have been on the Ford Barn and EFV8 Club, Forum I have to smile to myself each time.. G.M., responds to a topic and some people take him to task for touting "Skips water-pumps, etc"..
Actually I think that G.M. deserves more credit for his responses, in lieu of negative remarks..
From my prospective G.M.'s comments are actually "Info-mercials"..
G.M. generally provides very good information relative to the content of the topic, then he introduces his comments about Skip's products, buried within the response..
During a period in time during my working years I was the Managing Editor of an industry publication that had world wide distribution. The "publication" served three purposes, it was an informational instrument covering technical subjects, news of the industry, and most of all it raised huge amounts of money which helped to pay operating expenses and employee salaries..
The booklet was distributed to subscribers free of charge, the cost to do this was paid by the manufactures that submitted their P.R., technical info, etc.. The one requirement was that the articles, pictures, etc. had to be carefully crafted in a manner that did not imply that the article (s) were commercial advertisements.. i.e. Info-mercials..
The publication lasted for over forty years, generating huge amounts of money for the promotion of the industry, then a new board of directors tried to turn the publication into a political publication, and their greed did away with the free subscriptions..
Within a year and a half the publication was dead...
Blucar what you have to realize is that there are new people on this forum everyday. Some are long time old Ford owners and a lot are ones that just purchased their old Ford. These people have never heard of Skip or his products which have saved many Fords from receiving overhead engines. I had women and men come up to me at shows thanking me for getting their cars fixed. Before they said they wouldn't ride in the car to shows but followed in their modern car. I don't have to advertise to the people that have been on the forum for years as they know from the customer posts over the years the quality of work Skip does and the improvement his parts make in reliability in starting, running and cooling. He has been doing his thing for close to 20 years and NEVER charged a customer to repair a part he supplied other then a few that left the ignition switch on and over heated the coil. I don't have to advertise for Skip my purpose is to help old Ford owners to be able to drive their cars at any time on any day at any outside temperature. These cars prepared properly will run good for years. I restored my 39 convertible over 30 years and 125.000 miles and have done very little except drive it. I wouldn't hesitate to change the oil and drive it to Cal. tomorrow. This is what these cars can do and everyone should be able to enjoy them. The only real problem difficult to deal with is this new gas in warm weather and knowing the symptoms leading up to and how to cope with it helps. I THINK I have a real cure but have yet to test it. There is a small group that likes to attack me from time to time and like a pack of mad wolves pile on every time. Same ones all the time. There are posts by some I don't want to read and don't even click on them, I say to the ones that don't want to read mine just pass over them. Skip keeps very busy from the adds he runs and mainly word of mouth from other users. My intentions on the Ford Barn is to help others not get work for Skip. I will say initially my purpose was to help Skip as well as help others solve their problems, he no longer needs my help but newbies need to find solutions for their problems. G.M.

Last edited by G.M.; 02-06-2014 at 05:51 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
BILL WZOREK

Well Said !!!!!
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Well said GM ,over time I have learnt to recognise GM contribution to making these cars reliable through the development of fixes such as the Skip coils .I know of plenty of old Fords that are parked up because of unreliability that could do with his services .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 02-06-2014 at 10:42 AM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #20
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

You won't find a better person then GM. I have nothing but good to say about him. He is a good friend to have. There no better out there. It been a honor to know him.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #21
blucar

G.M. I completely understand where you and your comments about "Skips" products come from.. I also understand your reference's to wanting to share your info and knowledge with others.
To a large degree we might be cut from the same cloth.. My knowledge about EFV8's is very heavy with knowledge about the '36-48 Fords, I also have a considerable amount of knowledge about the '55-57 T-Birds, '57-64 Ford pickups.
Since the Ford Barn was re-organized in 2010, I have made over 700 contributions to this forum.. Sometimes I to am taken to task by people that don't like contributions regarding altered cars.. They get their knickers all bunched up over everyday comments about changing any aspects of an EFV8..
I read an article many years ago that stated " When a man dies a library burns down, the knowledge stored there-in is lost forever"..
I'm trying my best to minimize the size of the fire..
Old 02-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I read an article many years ago that stated " When a man dies a library burns down, the knowledge stored there-in is lost forever"..
I'm trying my best to minimize the size of the fire..
Bill...You have a pretty good way with words. ANY chance of a more-recent pic of that little '36? I like it, and what it certainly represents. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #23
epw1949

George,thanks for coming forward,I been watching this forum hoping you would respond.There's nothing so powerful as the truth.Take care E.P.W. Ps. Now lets play cars.
epw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #24
jimalabam

ATTA BOY GM!!! Well said...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #25
blucar

I've been experiencing problems with my new computer, my old one crashed, I mean really crashed onto the floor which ruined the hard drive.. Long story short, I had to upgrade to all new programs... Hate Window 8. My new photo program is a mess, can't upload, or down load from my camera (s) to the computer, or from the camera to a forum, etc..
If I can get my photo albums straightened out I'll post a couple of recent pix of my '36 to the forum..
Old 02-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #26
itslow

Here I thought this thread was going to be about General Motors when I clicked on it. Oh well.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #27
JRHASZARD

V8COOPMAN, back in the early seventies I was talking to Kirby Grant at a party in Daytona Beach. He mentioned he wanted to restart his SKYKING movies. I asked him if he was going to use a Beech 18 again. I think I hurt his feelings....Sorry to be off topic
JRHASZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHASZARD View Post
V8COOPMAN, back in the early seventies I was talking to Kirby Grant at a party in Daytona Beach. He mentioned he wanted to restart his SKYKING movies. I asked him if he was going to use a Beech 18 again. I think I hurt his feelings....Sorry to be off topic
Common mistake as the poor, little-known and mis-understood Twin Cessna was frequently mis-ID'd as a Twin Beech. His feelings were probably further hurt because Grant actually owned that particular T-50 during filming, until it subsequently became un-airworthy because of spar rot, which ended-up dooming most of the breed. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #29
dude

GM is fact ,not fiction. Now isn't that what we are looking for????
Old 02-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #30
Marv

I believe the T-50 was also called the Bamboo Bomber. Am i correct.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #31
Joe Immler

GM pretty well summed this topic up. My 2cents worth: I read these forums to gain information on repair and running tips for our flatties. I read them all even if the subject has nothing to do with items for my '41. There have been many times that someone mentions they have this or that problem and I can say "I have heard of this" and can send them info from TFB. I know a lot of people say we shouldn't bash a certain guy "because at least he is trying to make parts for the hobby." All well and good but if the parts are not good, I for one would like to know. It works the other way around too. I want to know either way.
We can tell by some of the questions asked on the Forum that most of us are not Pro's. That is why we ask-to hear from those that have Been There, Done that, and have a closet full of tee shirts.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote