Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Retro Jim

Default Different front end swap for a 55 Ford

I am trying to see if there is a way to put a 1995 Mustang front end under my 55 Ford . I will have everything from the firewall forward ! Power steering too . I understand the struts will need to come off and the springs will need to be replaced with the ones with the shocks inside the like you see on street rods . The one also is from a V8 car so that is a plus .
I am getting ready to pull the Y block and replace it with a 302 . I know the cross member will need to be replaced because they all rust out and a replacement is $300+ and o still have to weld it in .
If anyone has done this swap , know someone that has done one or if there is a site or place showing one that has been done I would really appreciate any all all information on this idea .
I want the good and bad so please let me know . I can get the complete front end cheaper than the new replacement cross member !

Jim
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
junkyardjeff

Default Re: Different front end swap for a 55 Ford

Sounds like way too much work and I would think you would have way more in it then replacing the crossmember,I picked up a good used crossmember for about 150 and did some trading with a frame shop to get it installed.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
paul2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Jim View Post
I am trying to see if there is a way to put a 1995 Mustang front end under my 55 Ford . I will have everything from the firewall forward ! Power steering too . I understand the struts will need to come off and the springs will need to be replaced with the ones with the shocks inside the like you see on street rods . The one also is from a V8 car so that is a plus .
I am getting ready to pull the Y block and replace it with a 302 . I know the cross member will need to be replaced because they all rust out and a replacement is $300+ and o still have to weld it in .
If anyone has done this swap , know someone that has done one or if there is a site or place showing one that has been done I would really appreciate any all all information on this idea .
I want the good and bad so please let me know . I can get the complete front end cheaper than the new replacement cross member !

Jim
Even though the cross member may cost you more than the Mustang front end, I think you are going in the wrong direction.

The 55 front end is well engineered. Parts are readily available. The change you are considering seems as though it will take a lot of work for little gain. The price of the crossmember is not that bad and replacement (not all of them need to be replaced) is relatively easy. The YBlock mounts will easly mount a 302 using stock ford mounts
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
havi

I don't really have any sound advice, but just to say I've been looking at using a Fox body Mustang in my '62 Fairlane. I'm looking to make my own frame rails from front to back, subframe connectors on a Mustang so to speak, and graft the whole K member and tower assembly right on (fab inner fenders to hold it together). Here's a simple pic to show the whole thing. The plus side is R&P steering and disc brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fox k member and fairlane.jpg (81.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
Retro Jim

Well I was wondering if anyone ever did it . I will check the cross member when I remove the engine and decide from there . I was hoping it wouldn't be to bad so I would end up with disc brakes , power steering and possibly better steering too !
OH well !
Thanks for being honest , that's what I was wanting !

Jim
Old 05-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
junkyardjeff

If you want disc brakes granada spindles can be modified to work and you really dont need power steering,Macs sells everything you need to rebuild the steering box and after its rebuilt it will steer better. I will add a brake booster before power steering.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Ole Don

I have written before about this subject. The 54 through 56 front end design is a copy of the 52 Lincoln, which may have been the best American front end on any car during the fifties. If your front crossmember is bad, cut it loose, lay it on the floor and make a new one like it. Its only made of metal, it can be cut, heated, bent, and welded like any other metal. The stock front end, with Granada spindles and brakes, and a heavy duty sway bar, will ride better than any other front end you can put under that car. They are safe, and will surprise nearly everyone at how well they handle. The Lincoln won the Mexican Road race in 52 and 53, its class in 54.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
paul2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by havi View Post
I don't really have any sound advice, but just to say I've been looking at using a Fox body Mustang in my '62 Fairlane. I'm looking to make my own frame rails from front to back, subframe connectors on a Mustang so to speak, and graft the whole K member and tower assembly right on (fab inner fenders to hold it together). Here's a simple pic to show the whole thing. The plus side is R&P steering and disc brakes.
The 62 Fairlane is a different animal altogether. I assume you are aware of the kits to install a MII like front end on the Fairlanes?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
havi

Yep. Long story short, I got the K-member/towers for my '87 Tbird drag car. Then I started eyeballing it, and how it would fit my Fairlane. It's just a thought right now, and since I already have it, well.... I'm on a very tight budget. RRS would be a nice kit, too. If these cars are included, I'll ask questions in a different thread, sorry for the short hijack.

Last edited by havi; 05-08-2010 at 09:21 PM.
havi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Retro Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
I have written before about this subject. The 54 through 56 front end design is a copy of the 52 Lincoln, which may have been the best American front end on any car during the fifties. If your front cross member is bad, cut it loose, lay it on the floor and make a new one like it. Its only made of metal, it can be cut, heated, bent, and welded like any other metal. The stock front end, with Granada spindles and brakes, and a heavy duty sway bar, will ride better than any other front end you can put under that car. They are safe, and will surprise nearly everyone at how well they handle. The Lincoln won the Mexican Road race in 52 and 53, its class in 54.

Ole Don , thanks for all the information ! Since all the salvage yards around here have no Granadas/Lincolns , what all do I need to convert to the disc brakes ? What do I have to modify to make them work ? I do have a Mustang II power brake booster and caliper that I was just going to use on my 55 Ford to see if that would be a better improvement instead of changing the spindes and converting to the disc brakes . That would be a lot cheaper to me plus I am on a fixed income !

Jim
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Ole Don

I too am on a fixed income now. I did my Granada change over in about 2001. At that time, the whole change over including rebuilt calipers and new rotor/hubs and bearings with all new hardware was less than 350 bucks. If you can still find a Granada, you need the lower ball joint holes reamed to fit the 55 ball joints. Everything else is a bolt in. Also, the new spindles don't line up with the turn stops. I welded a six inch piece of 3/8 round rod inside the turn stop on the lower A arm, facing up. I used a master from a Crown Vic with no booster, have since changed to one with a booster. Look around on the internet, there has to be one Granada left with your name on it.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote