Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
azandy

Default Conversion U-joint

I'm putting a 1971 Ford Maverick rear end in my 1950 Ford car can anybody tell me a part number for the rear conversion universal joint to fit the 50 drive shaft?
Thanks,
Andy
azandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
Karl Wolf

Default Re: Conversion U-joint

If you can find the right auto parts store, there are size listings.
You need to measure the end to end ujoint size by measuring the drive shaft, then same on the rear end.
and then the cup diameter. (You may have to buy two joints, one for the cross and two
caps, and one for the other two caps).

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
rotorwrench

From some of the quick checks I've done by checking the bearing cap sizes and dimensions, my first check would be the OEM type U-joint for the 1971 Mavrick but I don't know all the particulars for that model of rear axle. A person needs to compare the dimensions of the parts. Ford used the 1.063" caps with retaining rings with an axis dimension of 2.375" for a long time but the dimensions of the caps for the U-bolt retention is also necessary. They are listed as 1.125" diameter with an axis dimension of 3.218" for the Mavrick with the 302 V8 for that year.

A Mavrick with a different engine application or drive shaft type may have had different dimensions.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
bobH

One thing I learned from a local driveshaft builder, there are some 'oddball' u-joints available. He came up with some, that, out-of-the-box, came with different size caps for mating mis-matched applications. So, when thinking I would have to buy two u-joints to make one, he had one that accommodate the 'mis-match'.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #5
fordor41

hybrid joints come with two different sized brg caps. 1300 series I believe
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I found out years ago that the driveshaft shop was the best way to go! They have the knowledge and resources to get what is needed, and to my surprise better pricing that the parts stores. You will most likely need to resize the length of the driveshaft and have it balanced anyway.

Short story on my last project that needed a driveshaft. After sending hours at different salvage yards looking for a decent shaft I gave up and went to the driveshaft shop. They custom built me one from scratch cheaper than what the salvage yards were asking!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:05 AM   #7
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseery View Post
i found out years ago that the driveshaft shop was the best way to go! They have the knowledge and resources to get what is needed, and to my surprise better pricing that the parts stores. You will most likely need to resize the length of the driveshaft and have it balanced anyway.

Short story on my last project that needed a driveshaft. After sending hours at different salvage yards looking for a decent shaft i gave up and went to the driveshaft shop. They custom built me one from scratch cheaper than what the salvage yards were asking!!
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #8
5851a

Lucky to have driveshaft shop not to far away. They have everything you need for driveshafts. Salvage yards are not the best place to buy driveshafts anymore, they all have big end loaders with forks to pick up and move the cars and the shafts get bent or dinged. Old school parts store or even a NAPA should know what you are talking about.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote