Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
fast fredy

Default California pcv ??

This is the system on my 55 from California , must be there first attempt at pcv , but there is no pcv valve in the system .. My canister is like the road draft tube but the downward tube is folded over to seal off . It leaks oil badly and I want to come up with another idea maybe using the same idea with different canister set up and put a pcv valve in it .. whats your thoughts ? Fred ... I think its kinda cool that it has this California feature but dont want the oil leak
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSA50525.jpg (57.9 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg SSA50526.jpg (50.9 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg SSA50529.jpg (71.0 KB, 67 views)
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: California pcv ??

I doubt that's factory. Factory PCV systems didn't appear until the late '50s/early 60s. The leaking, folded over road draft tube tells the tale. A factory system would be air tight except at the system inlet.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
darrell

thats just something someone geared up so they could run it in california.i think you have to have a closed system in calif,
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
Dobie Gillis

Does Cali require pre-emission vehicles to have emission controls added? I haven't heard that but I wouldn't put it past 'em.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
5851a

Relative drove a 54 Ford in California in the 60's, she said they made her get one in her area. There looks to be a valve at the end of the hose above the brass fitting.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #6
craig

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I was working in a shop in eastern Washington in 1968. A family had just moved from LA and I did some work on a '53 Ford they had brought up. It had a closed system with a pcv valve installed in the oil filler opening on the intake, under the generator. The open style breather cap had been replaced with a solid cap that had a hose going to the air filter (not much different than what I have on my '47 flathead today). The owner of the '53 said that the Cal. smog board had forced the system to be installed several years before
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
fast fredy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Relative drove a 54 Ford in California in the 60's, she said they made her get one in her area. There looks to be a valve at the end of the hose above the brass fitting.
You might be right about the valve
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:57 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

These are some pieces that I found that I believe were part of a California package for '57 312 T-birds. The red pieces are Ford factory parts. The red cap with protruding tube mounts somewhere at the very rear of the valley cover. As can be seen in second picture, it mounts right near the vac advance diaphragm. The 3rd picture seems to show the black hose running forward the length of the carburetor, and to vacuum below front of carb. And how convenient with a PCV Valve number just screaming at ya! Just for your entertainment! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:01 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: California pcv ??

What is on this car is a CA mandated EMISSION REDUCTION KIT (mid to late fifties). This one appears to be FORD. It is simply a low cost attempt at PCV (pre-1961 intro - CA). It had to work (probably not as well as later OEM styles) as CA would not have approved it.

It does have a valve. It would have to. Most likely the system hasn't been serviced since the install.

Whatever you do if you decide to not keep it, box it and offer it for sale, please.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:07 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Post Re: California pcv ??

Quote:
These are some pieces that I found that I believe were part of a California package for '57 312 T-birds. The red pieces are Ford factory parts.
What you see here...

EDIT - (Referring To Photos In Post #8)

... is a 1961/ (CA) - 1963/ (FED) FYB 2V OEM SYSTEM installation retro-fitted to the 57 BIRD.

The 2V and 4V systems were plumbed a little differently.

Not all cars received PCV, only in districts that required them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FYB - PCV - OEM 2V - 4V.JPG (72.6 KB, 30 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-13-2021 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Trying To Get My Stuff In One Pile
Old 11-13-2021, 05:52 AM   #11
darrell

the red pieces were used on late y block trucks with a factory pcv system.2 bbl only.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post

... the red pieces were used on late y block trucks with a factory pcv system.2 bbl only.
The setup was used on the PASS CAR 61/62 2V and the TRUCK 61/64 2V and 4V in slightly different configuration(s).

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
KULTULZ

The system design is very simple. Instead of providing a partial vacuum with a road draft tube, manifold vacuum (regulated) was used to provide the draft to vent the crankcase via the original early Y-BLOCK block skirt design road draft. The 55-56 had no provision (opening) on the valley cover to retrofit a 1961/ OEM PCV style... EDIT ... (EXCEPT 55 BIRD - It used a regular road draft tube and modified valley cover).

The system was also CLOSED EMISSION whereas design would not allow it (vapors) to vent to open atmosphere ... EDIT ... through an open filtered oil fill cap (OPEN DESIGN). It vented vapors directly to the ACL for re-burn.

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-15-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #14
Y-Blockhead

I had a '55 way back in '66 and yes you were required to have the "Smog Device' connected, in Southern California at least. The Smog Device installers "closed off" (bent) the road draft tube as part of the installation.

There is a filter in the road draft canister that needs to be changed occasionally. If they get plugged they drip oil. Or maybe the gasket where it is bolted to the block is leaking.

I don't remember a valve. They simply blocked off the road draft tube and routed a hose from the oil filler cap to the air cleaner. That way the fumes got sucked back in the carburetor and burned.

Not the best thought out system but it satisfied the powers that be in Sacramento...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-13-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #15
KULTULZ

Quote:
I don't remember a valve. They simply blocked off the road draft tube and routed a hose from the oil filler cap to the air cleaner. That way the fumes got sucked back in the carburetor and burned.
It had to have a valve -

Quote:
A second function of the PCV valve is to act as a flame arrester and to prevent positive pressure from the intake system from entering the crankcase.

This can happen on turbocharged engines or when a backfire takes place, and the positive pressure could damage the crankcase seals and gaskets.

The PCV valve therefore closes when positive pressure is present, to prevent it from reaching the crankcase.
SOURCE - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankc...ilation_system

Without the valve which is also a controlled flow metering device, the engine would run too lean if you could get it to start.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
It had to have a valve -
Why would it need a valve. You are just routing the breather cap to the air cleaner instead of venting to atmosphere. You would only need a valve if it was routed to the intake manifold, which the later smog systems did.

BTW, I was only referring to the system that was on my car and I seen many times in 1966 They were definitely add on systems.

I do believe that Fast Fredy's picture does show a PCV valve by the RDT tho.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-13-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #17
darrell

the factory pcv screwed into the intake in front of the carb.it was a big awkward thing and there wasnt enough room on the 4v intake.they used the pipe down the back same as the older ones.some places may have used something different but i never seen any.
Old 11-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #18
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
the factory pcv screwed into the intake in front of the carb.it was a big awkward thing and there wasnt enough room on the 4v intake.they used the pipe down the back same as the older ones.some places may have used something different but i never seen any.
They had factory PCV systems in 1955? I was not aware of that??

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #19
KULTULZ

Quote:
Why would it need a valve. You are just routing the breather cap to the air cleaner instead of venting to atmosphere. You would only need a valve if it was routed to the intake manifold, which the later smog systems did.
Did you read the REFERRING URL I posted?

Take a 2nd look at the photo(s). Direct manifold vacuum is supplied to the canister housing. It is a PCV SYSTEM.

By drawing fresh outside air through the ACL makes it a CLOSED PCV SYSTEM, whereas no fumes can vent/escape to the atmosphere unlike an OPEN SYSTEM that uses a filtered oil fill cap for outside air filtration.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Quote:

... the red pieces were used on late y block trucks with a factory pcv system.2 bbl only.
They were used on both PASS (61/62 2v) and LIGHT TRUCK (61/64 2V and 4V).

The 57 BIRD changeover shown in an above Ill used the 2V mounting style for some reason.

- DISCLAIMER -