Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #921
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Good looking deer Chris - congrats on a successful hunt!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #922
sugarmaker

Dale,
Thanks,
Hope your Thanksgiving vacation was good. Did you get a chance to check on those items we talked about? Give me a call sometime.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:48 PM   #923
sugarmaker

Ford folks,
Today I met with John K. And we traveled to hot rod heaven, at least that's how I felt. John was looking at a engine and I was salivating over all the nice drivers this guy has. I knew he had some but they just keep coming . Where do old guys get the drive? Wow I was impressed. Next time maybe I can get some pictures with his permission?
Hope things are good.
Have had a lot of folks stop and look at the 32 truck. A great conversation piece for sure.
Trying to guess how many of these survived? Maybe hundreds???
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 12-03-2021, 10:35 PM   #924
cas3

"How many survived?" Not many unrestored and still in the condition yours is. Its just like I like em
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:04 PM   #925
al's28/33

Chris,
Here are a couple pics of my side boards. Not fancy but my Dad made them special for me, simple Oak with a clear coat to show off the grain. He's passed on now but his handywork is still greatly admired.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:05 PM   #926
al's28/33

Old 12-03-2021, 11:08 PM   #927
al's28/33

These old trucks took a real beating back in the day. Your 32 and my 33 and also the 34 had the same style cab and they were beat hard. They are more rare than normal passenger vehicles and I am always happy to see folks wave and appreciate they are still around.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #928
sugarmaker

Al,
Folks,
Your 33 is very nice! I can appreciate these vintage machines so much more now after doing some work and being around one for a while. Thanks for the great shots of your truck. Your Dad did a wonderful job on the side boards for your pickup bed. They look just right for the truck.
Tell us about the boxes/ features on the running boards too.
I have a friend that may still have some black walnut that might look good as side boards. Will have to check on that.
Makes me almost want to fire up the ragged ol truck and head into town!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 12-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #929
al's28/33

Chris, yes you will need to head off to the hardware store to "show off" but not really, you're just letting local folks admire "rolling art".
Thanks for the compliments, the three cans red, white and blue were from the older Model T days for gas, water and oil 1 gallon each and the other black tool box was also Model T era that just perfectly fit on my running board and still be able to open the lid. The history of my truck was from Wisconsin and Illinois used by the US Forest Service and it has a giant helper spring on the rear axel. I added the fog lights for looks but they are not hooked up. The front end on mine was totally worn out and the front wheels were toed out so bad I had to replace all the parts but thank goodness for all the early Ford parts suppliers they came thru! Of course I don't go any faster than 35 or 40 on some simple two lane back roads around here.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #930
sugarmaker

Al,
So you think they loaded it heavily with wood or equipment or both? The cans and box are very nice additions and fit right in with your truck. Great you have some background info on your 33!
Mike (grandson) and I took a ride in the 32 at sunset.

He used his gps on his phone to get the mph. About 23. So top speed will be around 30 ish. He had a ball. Made the whole truck project worthwhile for me!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 12-04-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #931
sugarmaker

Folks,
You by now know I am very good at off topic items:
So I have this book. The title is:
SHOP THEORY
HENRY FORD TRADE SCHOOL

As with most books it has a note printed inside that says it can not be reproduced in any manner.
So I am assuming that I can not take digital pictures and post them here? Maybe David G or others can set me straight on this. I really like the book. Sharing pictures of the information in there would be good but I am not going to do that if it is not correct.

The book was printed in 1934 and several more times up to 1946.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 12-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #932
DavidG

Chris,

I doubt if the copyright is enforceable given the passage of 87 years, if it was specifically copyrighted, given that it was arguably in the public domain and not engineering drawings and engineering release forms which were never in the public domain. (A quick search of the Library of Congress copyright records did not turn up anything for "Shop Theory, Henry Ford Trade School"). Further Ford Licensing's focus is on activities that seek to profit from Ford's intellectual property, which obviously isn't the case here where you are presumably referring to a limited number of photos or illustrations for educational purposes.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:01 PM   #933
al's28/33

Chris,

My truck could have been used for general hauling, wood, tools or shop runs. It had no body/frame damage but lots of surface rust. Nothing is rotted out and the wood bed is very nicely intact. The spare wheel well was rusted thru so I had a professional body shop fit a repro and repaint the passenger side front fender. The original color was still evident under the cowl Rock Moss Green. But years ago it was repainted a light cream and you can feel the rust cancer underneath. The interior is a totally different green, it must have been redone too. Someday my hope is to repaint it back to original color but I love driving it so much I cant bear having to dismantle it. Someday who knows. I also replaced the seat cushions similar to your earlier posts but mine has standard full bench seat since the tank filler is off the rear driver side bed. Your 32 sure looks right at home on your place. I would be afraid to drive at night, too many inconsiderate drivers in my neighborhood.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:05 PM   #934
al's28/33

Chris, I would also recommend a later year Ford fuel gauge to replace the glass tube style. I found a '49 Ford gauge to hook up and its been accurate for 18 years I've had the truck. You would have to pull the tank and install a compatable sending unit inside. Although, mine is a V8 and since yours is a 4 cyl perhaps the electrical system is not the same. I am not schooled at OHMS and that was another job for a professional mechanic.

Last edited by al's28/33; 12-05-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #935
sugarmaker

Folks,
Lets see, several things here: Off topic to start. As is the norm here one must rebuild the screwdriver before you can go do some work. Today it was figure out why a brand new meat thermometer was not working. small screws, circuit board, small parts that a child could choke on, inside a tiny plastic case. Tore it all apart, no power! Finally looked at the AAA battery contact areas. Yep one was not touching the end of the battery. A end of a tooth pick jammed in there solved the issue. We are cooking venison Kielbasi this morning. About 10 lbs. It smells great! Sorry to go way off topic, You have to wade through this stuff to get back to Ford stuff!

Almost forgot. Had to buy an new sausage stuffer and a new spiral dough hook for the old Hobart yesterday: The deer burger this year is about $6.00 per lb!

Having Mike help with the process: Priceless:

Ok were back. If I read correctly David is suggesting that it may be ok to show this book and info. So here goes:

The last paragraph is important!

All of the information still pretains today for basic shop work and skills:

Lots of math and calculations before computers came along:

I thought it was a neat book, Cheryl did too! It ties in nicely with the 1932 truck, Henry Ford, and the era it was built and worked on. I think the book was used to bring many young students up to speed for the WWII war effort also.

Now to Al,
if you hold off on doing the truck till next year you will be a year older!

But like you, I really like to have them available to drive, even if not 100% correct and show quality. Guess I am a driver too! I also take short cuts and none appropriate or incorrect methods to sometimes get there too. (I feel better after saying that)
Your truck shows really well in the pictures. You could work on the new seats and still use the current ones as is, while the new ones are being completed. I like having my seats done. I picked a non Ford type material and color, but very happy how it blends in with the old 32 and no one has complained a bit about there butts being comfy! Snyder's can hook you up with the correct springs. I know a guy that might be able to whittle out new seat base frames to fit the gas tank? Just saying...

The fuel gage may be a option for me to consider. Especially if I get it so we can travel some great distances. Thanks. But not looking forward to removing the tank? Currently my old connections that went to the gauge are in the bottom of the tank??

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 12-05-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:32 AM   #936
DavidG

Chris,

The fact that your fuel gauge tank unit is attached to the bottom of the tank rather than on the top of the tank (like Al's truck's tank) poses a whole different set of challenges. Restoring your original hydrostatic gauge may be the better option as they are very accurate when set up properly. There are no moving parts in either the tank unit or in the gauge and restoration is largely a matter of a thorough cleaning so that all of the air passages are open as intended.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #937
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
Thanks The fuel gauge is on the list. I would like to have the spedo working too. But I can survive with out them function. Just need to lift the seat to check fuel level, Humm come to think of it, I cant do that in my 2015. Also will never break the speed limit unless its in a school zone!
Is there a drawing somewhere on all the features to bring the fuel gage system back to working order? Sometimes learning the features, details, helps get these type of mini projects completed.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 12-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #938
Reds34

Chris,

I'm pretty sure I have the same book. I read it when I was around 14. It's got a lot of good information in it.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #939
al's28/33

Chris,

Get the "1932 Ford Service Bulletins", if you don't have them already. Look on-line eBay has them from book dealers. The fuel gauge has 4 or 5 pages detailing how it's all set up as David G described. The speedo cable could be gummied up too but that is (hopefully) an easier fix.
Sausages look great!
Old 12-06-2021, 07:23 AM   #940
sugarmaker

Folks,
Thanks for the info on the gas gage repairs. Will add that to the list of truck things to do.
The 32 let me down in the driveway yesterday:

The GAV has and is very sticky. And it stuck in the closed position. It doesn't like that. Had to take it apart and get the needle freed up. Then lubed it some too.

After that I took two short excursions. The oil leak at the rear of the engine is still bothering me. This seems to pump a half pint of oil out for about every 5-6 miles. So I catch it in a try under the engine and add it back in.
Will they really pump out that much due to bad thrust clearances? Or did I do something wrong when putting the engine back together??
This small plastic container will be half full:

Another minor issue. I topped off the radiator with water. It needed a gallon. So when I take off and the engine is not even warmed up yet, it starts spitting water out the radiator cap. So Friend Jim B from Bugs & Tugs had left a new radiator cap seal here. I put that on over top of the current old seal in the cap. My thinking is that maybe this wasn't sealing well enough against the top of the radiator neck? The cap was fairly easy to turn on and off. It is much tighter now. Will test on that some more.

I added some gear oil to the steering box. Of course its leaking now! Probably need something thicker like corn head grease?
Horn quite working probably a loose wire. Yep about right!
Also checked the rear end lube. Yep its full of 90 year old .

Greased the drive shaft zerks. So we are ready to go. Not too much here just a ride down memory lane.
https://youtu.be/kxSQWuh9vbU

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 12-06-2021 at 07:35 AM.