Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default My 56 Thunderbird transmission Leaks?

My T-Bird tranny is the Air Cooled and only leaks when sitting for a couple weeks. I had it on a hoist for a week and no leaks. So I put it back in the garage attach to the house. We have been installing air Conditioning and new Radiator, fan, Special water pump. It been a month or more now transmission leaks oil on the floor. Its a quart low now. I don't want to pull the motor to have the transmission fixed.Is there a way to remove the transmission without removing the motor?
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #2
Gene F

Default Re: My 56 Thunderbird transmission Leaks?

Mine leaks a little from the dipstick tube. I thought for a long time it was the front seal. It's not. Hate for you to pull it for nothing. It's worth checking...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

It is removable without disturbing the engine on a full-size car, but I don't know about T-Birds.
Most likely leak points would be: 1) converter-to-impeller housing large o-ring seal cracked, 2) front pump seal worn out, 3) trans pan gasket shot, 4) fluid filler tube-to-pan nut not tight enough.
The last two are the only ones that don't require transmission removal.
I would suspect that if the pan gasket was shot, it might only leak when driving. Same holds true if the park plug in the back of the trans case was blown out.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
My T-Bird tranny is the Air Cooled and only leaks when sitting for a couple weeks. ...
Its a quart low now. I don't want to pull the motor to have the transmission fixed.Is there a way to remove the transmission without removing the motor?
A few transmission mechanics know how to disassemble and reassemble it in place without pulling the engine. It is possible but not overly easy.
If you have the big red CTCI Restoration Manual the procedure is described on pages 87 thru 90.
It's apparently slightly easier in the '55 & '56 Birds because the short frame crossmember that supports the transmission is bolted in, on the '57 Birds it's welded.

If it only leaks when it isn't driven for more than a couple weeks there's an obvious solution there but you might keep a drip pan under it anyway.

Edit:
Here's a link to a collection of still photos of someone taking one apart & removing it.
However it is slightly different, it's the fluid cooled version in a '57 Bird.

I don't think the images are overly helpful because there is no explanation/narration of 'how to do it', or what is being done.
It may make sense to someone who's familiar with the insides of a Fordomatic, but not me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvGIwX-JbwU

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-20-2021 at 10:08 PM. Reason: add a link
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

I had placed my '55 Courier with 223 I-block 6/Ford-o-matic in mothballs for several years up until recently. When I pulled it out of the garage, there was a nice puddle of ATF on the cardboard I had laying on the floor under the car. It took about 3/4 of a quart to fill the trans back up to the proper level again. Now that the seals are wet, it's not leaking anymore.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #6
55blacktie

Fordomatics aren't the only transmissions that leak, but that's one of the reasons for my replacing mine with a C4. C4s can leak, too. Hopefully, my builder will do all he can to minimize the possibility.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
rotorwrench

I wouldn't pull it till I could confirm where the oil is coming from. The FOM and COM transmissions have a rear pump in that tail housing so there are more transfer passages due to that. That one big transfer tube that connects to the valve body has to come out to be able to pull the tail housing out. Once it was out of the way then the transmission can come out followed by the tail housing.

The engine would require some form of support but it can be done. Still easier than pulling the engine.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-20-2021 at 11:52 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #8
55blacktie

I don't recommend removing/installing the transmission in pieces. Yes, it can be done, but those who choose to do it are in the minority. I know someone who removed his in pieces. However, he ended up pulling the engine and mating the rebuilt transmission to the engine to insure alignment, and the engine and transmission were installed as a unit.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I used to avoid working on automatic transmissions until I got tired of having problems with them after other folks worked on them for me. Any good mechanic can figure out what makes an individual design work but they are somewhat complex until you study how each one works through all of it's functional operations. The later ones are easy and very few of them have replacement part problems but the old ones are in a different category. I say this because some parts are no longer available so they had to be replaced with other parts that aren't quite the same. This makes for mysteries that a mechanic can't find in any manual to correct. It's either trial and error or ask an old timer. It's getting this way for near all of the automatic transmissions that were made prior to 1962.

Given the choice of pulling the whole engine/trans, I would take the easier route and pull the valve body and transfer tube to remove the tail housing. It would makes things a LOT easier. There is also less chance of damaging paint or other things.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #10
55blacktie

Although I still don't recommend it, the "Technical Section" of the CTCI Thunderbird Restoration and Details Manual contains detailed instructions for removing the transmission without removing the engine. Although I've not read it, the reproduction Fordomatic manual should contain the same information.

Keep in mind that the Fordomatic is quite heavy (approximately 250 lbs.). Even if it's removed in pieces, you will probably want to use a transmission jack.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #11
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
It is removable without disturbing the engine on a full-size car, but I don't know about T-Birds.
Most likely leak points would be: 1) converter-to-impeller housing large o-ring seal cracked, 2) front pump seal worn out, 3) trans pan gasket shot, 4) fluid filler tube-to-pan nut not tight enough.
The last two are the only ones that don't require transmission removal.
I would suspect that if the pan gasket was shot, it might only leak when driving. Same holds true if the park plug in the back of the trans case was blown out.
Also, a leak after sitting (during which the torque converter drains back into the pan) can be from the shift shaft or kickdown lever seals.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #12
CSPIDY

Best to start by a thorough cleaning to identify the source of the leak
Dye check developer can be used to find the leak at early stages
The leak location should be identified before removal
CSPIDY is offline   Reply With Quote