Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2021, 01:26 AM   #1
stringari

Default 1939 Sedan Hood alignment

I know this topic has come up many times, but here goes for anyone who has gone through this issue with trying to align the hood on the 39 or 40 Fords!
I amjut about done with my project car-39 4 door sedan deluxe and the hood seems to be a major issue. I hear people say even shops take/charge for 3 hrs labor because it is such a pain to accomplish.
First mistake- bought new hinges and spring arms(stainless, they looked so nice) and cleaned and sold my originals
Now have the Bob Drake original NOS and can't seem to get the hood to cowl measurment right-too high and too big a gap.
Soooo is it correct that I need to start with the hood to cowl first, inner fenders and fenders loose- and ailgn to the grill piece first ..... then attempt to tighten up the fenders to the closed hood? I have greased up the new hinges, as they were pretty stiff and have lifted and shut-up and down to try to work them in a little hoping this might not put so much pressure on the spring brackets.
It's got a new paint job and I have tape the edges, etc to try to keep from chipping anything in the process! Any ideas or someone who has tackeled this same problem, your advise is very much appreciated! Chuck
stringari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: 1939 Sedan Hood alignment

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Please cut and paste your question and post on the Early V8 forum. This section is for questions about the site, not car questions. The editors do not answer car questions.