Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
jack99

Default Carb leak ?

When I park my 31 I usually turn off the gas at the firewall and only rarely does the carb drip. I had forgotten to turn off the tank a few days ago and upon returning to the garage I found it full of fumes and found gas on the floor leaking from carb. I am seeking your thoughts as to what I should address-- float valve?

Do most of you turn off the gas valve every time you park your car?
Should the float valve be enough to prevent leakage?

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks
jack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Carb leak ?

Although the float valve should be a positive stop in reality they don't seem to be 100% all the time. Mine sometimes will stop all fuel and the next time it will leak very slowly. Not enough to actually drip but the throat will be damp. So I always turn it off at the tank.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Flathead

I see this as an issue for the indented firewall cars, not so easy to turn off the gas. I know why the change was made but I feel safer with the shut-off inside where I can easily reach it.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
1930-Pickup

I rarely close the gas tank valve.
Your carb float valve is leaking...you will get many opinions about this
My Two-Ball type float valve never leaks.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Dutie

Hello Jack ,

Some float valves leak and some don't. My experience with the float valve also was leaky most of the time and collected on the garage floor even with the firewall valve closed. I have replaced the float valves with the new viton valve when I rebuilt the carb and still leaked at times. Please don't mess with a little gas leak at times should you have pilot lights in the garage as a heavy gas smell as you describe. My fix was an inline shut off valve from Brattons.. ( part # 13360 ) never a leak since, as long as you remember to shut it off. This valve replaces # 13320 and 13340. The original indented firewall valve must be used to complete the connection. The inline shutoff is easy to install and comes with the connections installed right on the line, one for the bottom of the firewall valve and one for the carb and thats it. Mine has been on over 5 years and not one leak. price at Brattons shows 49.50 and was same price 5 years ago. You can leave the firewall valve on now and just use the new inline. My take is this gravity feed of maybe 15 or 20 inches was just enough to push the gas past these float valves drip by slow drip. Just my opinion. Good luck Dutie
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Ernie Vitucci

We also utilize a shutoff valve from Brattons. We have had it for several years and it works well. The original valve remains, but it is always in the open position, the new one connects to the old one with a short piece of pipe, then the valve and another piece of pipe to the firewall. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
gary678*

Before driving into the garage I close the shut-off, then drive into the garage and let the engine die. Then I set the battery cut-off switch to off . No gas smell, no chance of fire, and a good night's sleep. GD
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #8
pbishop

It is the valve alright, but you can also check that the float is bent to the right position. I always turned mine off when it was parked in the garage. Now using a Weber and is not an issue.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
daveymc29

I was given the electric shut off valve that goes in the line for my 31 coupe. I installed it an usually turn it on when I'm going somewhere and turn it off when I get home. Worst case so far has been if I forget and leave it on, the battery will be dead the next morning. So far my carb hasn't leaked and on my 29's I use the in cab shut off for any long term parking. the 31 is the indented firewall and stock shutoff require raising the hood. Boy is that a lot of work. Oh well, the elec. switch cured that, except for my memory it would be perfect. Any one notice how hot that solenoid gets? I have touched a few that seemed really about to burn me.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #10
TJMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbishop View Post
It is the valve alright, but you can also check that the float is bent to the right position.

A model A float is not like most floats.... you don't adjust them by bending the arm. You have to adjust the float level by adding or removing gaskets to the float valve.

Leaking is a COMMON problem with Zenith carbs in particular. Look back over previous threads in this forum. We've beatten this to death recently, and I'm sure many times in the more distant past.
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote