Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
Terry,OH

Default 34 Fordor doors to a 5-W Coupe?

How much work is involved in using 34 Fordor doors to fitting to a 34 5-W Coupe?
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 34 Fordor doors to a 5-W Coupe?

Two issues, one the hinges are different so you need to work that out if you don't have the 5-w ones. The second issue is a difference in the shape/height of the door on the hinge side that requires modification to fit.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Dak Rat

The other thing you will most likely run into is the width of the belt line. A friend did this modification and after moving the hinge and all the rest, found the large belt line was a 1/4" wider on the body. That door still hangs on the wall of his shop, after he gave up and found the proper 5-W door.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Never heard that one! I can check a little later, but don't believe that is an issue. This is a fairly common mod.

Update: Just checked, the belt lines are identical. I will post some photos.

OK, these photos are of a 33 5w Coupe body. The first photo is a 34 4dr Sedan Door on the drivers side. Notice the hinge comes out fairly straight from the body (4dr Sedan hinge). Notice the belt line molding is a good match. The second photo is also of the driver side door showing the bottom hinge (again with the 4dr hinge). The third photo is the belt line on the passenger side which is a 34 5w Coupe Door. Notice the more curved back shape of the hinge and the match on the belt line. Note: the second photo is labeled 2dr, it is in fact a 4dr, I just messed up labeling it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161130_150413.jpg (27.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 34 2dr Sedan Door.jpg (26.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 34 5w Coupe Door.jpg (32.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 11-30-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Rat View Post
The other thing you will most likely run into is the width of the belt line. A friend did this modification and after moving the hinge and all the rest, found the large belt line was a 1/4" wider on the body. That door still hangs on the wall of his shop, after he gave up and found the proper 5-W door.
Not sure what was going on with that setup, but I have several door and 5w Coupe bodies (both 33 and 34) and almost all of the doors I have are 4dr Sedan doors and none of them have any belt line differences. This has been a common mod for many years and I have never heard of or seen a belt line difference. There is a mismatch at the top rear edge of the doors that requires modification. Around 3/4 inch of the rear edge top has to be removed and tapered to where it matches the Coupe opening. This then requires the trimmed section to be re-welded. Fairly simple.

Last edited by JSeery; 11-30-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:48 PM   #6
Newc

Hi; Check the location of the top hinge on the 4dr door. I understand it maybe a bit high. I could walk to the barn to measure, but it is a common mod these days. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote